Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you have a lot of blind buys that you regret buying?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you have a lot of blind buys that you regret buying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-05, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't gotten myself into too much trouble with R1 blind buys. Usuually I know enough about the film to make a good assumption that I would like it, and I'll pick it up with a Columbia House enrollment or something.

Where I used to get myself into trouble was with R3/R0 Korean and Hong Kong films. At least 70% of my collection is Asian films and so many of them are not available in the states.

So, I bought tons of Korean DVDs blind. Some were very well discussed in forums her and there that I ended up not liking much at all. Save the Green Planet; Sympathy for Mr. Vengenace; Steal It If You Can; My Boss, My Hero; Bet on My Disco; Bungee Jumping of Their Own; etc. The bad thing is that each DVD cost about $25. I was able to trade or sell most of the ones I really didn't care about. (On the other hand, I've picked up some FANTASTIC movies blind)

Luckily, about a year ago I discovered Cinflix.com, which specializes in R3 Asian rentals. So, I rent and THEN buy, as applicable.

I still blind buy Hong Kong titles from time to time, based on reviews and genre (kung fu; fantasy; Category III, etc.). These DVDs usually only cost about $4 or so each ($10 at the absolute most), so it's not even worth trying to sell or trade them if they don't work out. Plus, if I really like one, I'll try to upgrade with a Hong Kong Legends or other SE release. The orignal "cheapie" DVD acts the same as a rental.