Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Image releasing SHAW BROS R1s!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Any more Shaw titles forthcoming by Image?
Old 06-02-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cover image of the upcoming "Deadly Breaking Sword".

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=48024
Old 06-02-07, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Image has updated their website and the following Shaw Bros. title has been announced:
- The Killer Snakes (11/13/07)

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=48006
Old 10-18-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Image has updated their website and the following Shaw Bros. title has been announced:
- The Killer Snakes (11/13/07)

http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=48006
According to Amazon.com, the release date has been changed to 12/04/07
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...edigitalbit-20
Old 02-29-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by bumping this thread, but since many of you might not participate in the international forum.....it is there that I read the very sad news that DVDTalker Linn1 died yesterday in a car accident.

Since he was a key participant in this discussion (and most kung-fu discussions in this forum), I just wanted to bump this as a...memorial.
Old 02-29-08, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's terrible news. I only knew him from his posts on here, but he seemed like a nice guy and always shared good information. My thoughts are with his family.
Old 04-19-08, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Image is releasing the title below this week (April 22nd):

Old 04-19-08, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

According to Amazon.com, this title will be released on June 10, 2008:

Old 04-20-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
According to Amazon.com, this title will be released on June 10, 2008:

Wonder if this will differ from the edit released on the HK edition. Anyone know?
Old 04-23-08, 01:07 AM

Am I correct in assuming that the majority of Celestial's Shaw collection is split up, rights-wise, between Miramax and Image in the U.S. (with Miramax holding many of the 'bigger' titles), and that it is the Miramax-owned titles which are gradually being released through their Dragon Dynasty division? Are there other distributors which hold U.S. rights to a percentage of this collection? Just curious.

Last edited by Alkaline; 04-23-08 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-23-08, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alkaline
Am I correct in assuming that the majority of Celestial's Shaw collection is split up, rights-wise, between Miramax and Image in the U.S. (with Miramax holding many of the 'bigger' titles), and that it is the Miramax-owned titles which are gradually being released through their Dragon Dynasty division? Are there other distributors which hold U.S. rights to a percentage of this collection? Just curious.

Media Blasters has maybe a dozen. Some good ones like "Five Element Ninjas"...
Old 04-24-08, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe that BCI has also has rights to some Shaw Bros. films in Region 1.
Old 05-11-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Upcoming Shaw Bros. releases from Image:

- 07/08/08 Bat Without Wings
http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=69144

- 08/12/08 Kiss Of Death
http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=69140

- 09/09/08 House Of Traps
http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=69156

- 10/07/08 Corpse Mania
http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=69146

- 12/02/08 Seeding Of A Ghost
http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=69150
Old 05-11-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
^Thanks!
Old 05-11-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe that BCI has also has rights to some Shaw Bros. films in Region 1.
BCI Titles:
Life Gamble
Opium and the Kung Fu Master
The 14 Amazons
Shaolin Hand Lock
Hong Kong Godfather
Shaolin Prince
Invincible Shaolin
The Bastard Swordsman
The Duel
Return of the Bastard Swordsman
Shaolin Rescuers
Soul of the Sword
The Lady Hermit
The Supreme Swordsman
The Sword of Swords
Old 05-11-08, 05:50 PM

I've only seen one Shaw Bros movie, 'The 36th Chamber of Shaolin' and loved it.

Can anyone recommend a couple of other movies as a good starting point to a Shaw newbie like me?
Old 05-11-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WillardC

Can anyone recommend a couple of other movies as a good starting point to a Shaw newbie like me?
any of the other dragon dynasty shaw bros. releases
Old 05-12-08, 12:04 AM

BCI Titles:
Life Gamble
Opium and the Kung Fu Master
The 14 Amazons
Shaolin Hand Lock
Hong Kong Godfather
Shaolin Prince
Invincible Shaolin
The Bastard Swordsman
The Duel
Return of the Bastard Swordsman
Shaolin Rescuers
Soul of the Sword
The Lady Hermit
The Supreme Swordsman
The Sword of Swords
Thanks for the info Lorenzo. Would you happen to know if they just ported the Celestial transfers or did any tinkering/different transfers altogether?
Old 05-13-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alkaline
Am I correct in assuming that the majority of Celestial's Shaw collection is split up, rights-wise, between Miramax and Image in the U.S. (with Miramax holding many of the 'bigger' titles), .
Actually, I think it's still a minority of Celestial's Shaw collection that were acquired by by US distributors. I think there are somewhere around 700 Shaw titles, and the US distributors are just getting small packages of films. While most of the best titles will probably see a US release, the Shaw studio system generally maintained a very consistent quality control, so there's often not much of a dropoff in quality with their "lesser" titles, IMO. If you become a serious fan of the Shaws, you'll still probably want to go region free when you see how many decent titles are not in Region 1.
Old 05-13-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WillardC

If you've got a bit of time, here's a good resource by a very knowledgeable bunch:

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3688
Old 05-13-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Actually, I think it's still a minority of Celestial's Shaw collection that were acquired by by US distributors. I think there are somewhere around 700 Shaw titles, and the US distributors are just getting small packages of films. While most of the best titles will probably see a US release, the Shaw studio system generally maintained a very consistent quality control, so there's often not much of a dropoff in quality with their "lesser" titles, IMO. If you become a serious fan of the Shaws, you'll still probably want to go region free when you see how many decent titles are not in Region 1.
This is a crucial idea I've promoted in a couple of Hong Kong cinema-related threads here. I've got over 500 of the Shaw titles released in Hong Kong, both on DVD (for premium "must-haves") and VCD (for everything else). I've been region-free since 1998 and it's opened so many doors.

And to folks who are afraid of importing or venturing into the nearest Chinatown, I can safely say that I paid less (on a per-disc basis) on virtually each and every one of those 500+ titles--brand new, though often long after release date to save money--than I would have had I bought them in R1. In fact, I've paid around $2 - $3 for nearly every Shaw VCD I've picked up, and around $5-$7 for each DVD (save for titles in the first few waves, before I realized how quickly legit Chinatown retailers will discount product that no longer sells). At prices like that, I can afford to have plenty of potential misfires on hand as I generally recoup a sizeable portion of the investment when I resell them.

New (and even veteran) fans in the West, particularly here in North America, could have their eyes opened so easily (and cheaply!) to the incredibly diverse Shaw catalogue that exists outside the martial arts period pictures that are being distributed over here. Contemporary pop musicals, crime thrillers, social dramas and romances, screwball comedies, gambling pictures (yes, they existed before Chow Yun-fat), science fiction and so much more.

But most if not all of this stuff will never see the light of day over here as long as the distributors think all people want to see is "old school" martial arts pictures (or, worse, if they continue to believe that a complete set of spine numbers represents a good cross section of Hong Kong cinema to the average U.S. fan ). Thus, your observation that "most of the best titles will probably see a US release" is, sadly, only a partial truth. Perhaps most of the best Shaw Brothers martial arts titles will see a release here (though it could be debated, considering the size of the martial-arts catalogue), but most of the best Shaw Brothers films will not.

Last edited by Brian T; 05-13-08 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T
But most if not all of this stuff will never see the light of day over here as long as the distributors think all people want to see is "old school" martial arts pictures (or, worse, if they continue to believe that a complete set of spine numbers represents a good cross section of Hong Kong cinema to the average U.S. fan ). Thus, your observation that "most of the best titles will probably see a US release" is, sadly, only a partial truth. Perhaps most of the best Shaw Brothers martial arts titles will see a release here (though it could be debated, considering the size of the martial-arts catalogue), but most of the best Shaw Brothers films will not.
Point taken. I've got some fantasy titles like The Monkey Goes West films, and I enjoyed the early horror pic Enchanting Shadow, but I'm mainly a martial arts fan, and those make up the vast bulk of my 150+ Shaw titles---so I did mean to say that the best Shaw martial arts pics will see a US release. And yes, I would also agree with you that even that is debatable, as I've certainly discovered quite a few Shaw martial arts pics that I think are fantastic which I had never heard of before and weren't talked about much among fans---and they probably won't come out in the US. And I concur with your central point: if you really want to experience the full scope of the great Shaw universe, region-free is a requirement.
Old 05-14-08, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I've been region free for a long time. It was just more of a curiosity thing.
Old 07-03-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-03-08, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Upcoming release:
- 11/11/08 The Thunderbolt Fist
http://www.image-entertainment.com/d...roductID=69152

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.