DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Image releasing SHAW BROS R1s! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/443913-image-releasing-shaw-bros-r1s.html)

Cameron 11-07-05 01:56 AM

thats what i figured...feel free to accidently send me that e-mail...your secrets safe with me.

flixtime 11-09-05 06:19 AM

Found over at Kaiju Shakedown (via Twitchfilm.net), Image has given them a list of 18 out of the 30 titles to be released (2 per month and scheduled to begin in April).

Following is the list:
Kaiju Shakedown's list of the 18 titles

As of right now, I own only 6 of the 18 titles (too bad I purchased all six in just the last couple of months or so). But at least I can still consider doing my part to support their efforts by looking to pick up some of the other titles (at least 7 of the other titles were already on my IVL R3 to-buy list).

flixtime 11-09-05 06:30 AM

You know...........IVL has now discontinued the slipcovers for their most recent batch (and all future) releases. Not a big deal (and I understand why they did it), but I kind of liked the slipcase packaging. I wonder if Image is going to consider something similar, that is having the additional slipcover packaging? It would kind of be nice for the uniformity of my collection......though that will still be a problem as future IVL releases won't come with slipcases (and "yes", I know I can simply get rid of all the slipcases to make everything uniform.......but again I kind of like them).

marty888 11-09-05 08:00 AM

Well, I already have 4 of those 18, but there are several others I will definitely grab. I hope these sell well enough so that Image pursues getting a wider selection into their catalog.

Giles 11-09-05 08:49 AM

I'll be waiting with baited breath for

- Eight Pole Diagram Fighter

flixtime 11-09-05 08:59 AM

Giles, if I'm correct in how I've read this whole thing, I believe it is almost certain that "Eight Diagram Pole Fighter" is going to end up being one of the fifty or so films under Miramax(e) control. In other words, unavailable for release by Image.

And....for those who might be new to this, "Eight Diagram Pole Fighter" is available via the IVL R3 releases.

Giles 11-09-05 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by flixtime
Giles, if I'm correct in how I've read this whole thing, I believe it is almost certain that "Eight Diagram Pole Fighter" is going to end up being one of the fifty or so films under Miramax(e) control. In other words, unavailable for release by Image.

oh.... merde

BuddhaWake 11-09-05 09:29 AM

flixtime, i was going to email you but you don't have an email set up. I was wondering as to what you have picked up and what you felt about them, I've been meaning to pick up some more IVL Shaw stuff but haven't gotten the chance to look more in depth. I do have the Shaolin Masters 8 dvd box set, and of those I enjoyed the Kar Leung (sp?) stuff the best.

chente 11-09-05 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
I'll be waiting with baited breath for

- Eight Pole Diagram Fighter

The R3 Celestial disc of this is outstanding. Don't hesitate.

Giles 11-09-05 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by chente
The R3 Celestial disc of this is outstanding. Don't hesitate.

oh I know, I rented this from Nicheflix and came to the quick conclusion - I gotta own this!!!

Cameron 11-09-05 11:20 AM

great list....something to look forward to.

Mondo Kane 11-09-05 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by flixtime

Killer Snakes?!?! Awesome!

I was this close to blind-buying the R3 this year. Amazing.

Good to see that Legendary/China is among the first releases.

RaMMaR 11-09-05 12:08 PM

i've got 9 of the 18 slated for release, but will happily double-dip on Super Inframan.:up: i recommend viewing Heaven and Hell with a slight buzz....
Linn1, since Image is mainly focusing on Horror\Exploitation, when do you expect Image to start releasing Shaws M.A. films? i realize that most of these titles are mired in the morass of distribution rights, but since M.A. films are what the Shaws are best known for...*hee* *hee* i said "morass."

cultshock 11-09-05 12:27 PM

Uncut HUMAN LANTERNS?? Awesome! :banana:

The only R3 title I have on the list of 18 is KILLER SNAKES, but I'll happily upgrade. And SUPER INFRAMAN was going to be one of my next purchases, but I'll wait for the R1 now. :)

Linn1 11-09-05 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by RaMMaR
Linn1, since Image is mainly focusing on Horror\Exploitation, when do you expect Image to start releasing Shaws M.A. films? i realize that most of these titles are mired in the morass of distribution rights, but since M.A. films are what the Shaws are best known for...

Actually, they HAVE got quite a few kung fu films in this first batch. I was told wrong when I was originally told what they had. Now, I see it's actually along the lines of 60% or so is kung fu/swordplay, and the rest a good mix of genres. But please remember, many of the "great" kung fu films were taken my Merryaxe. But as you can see with Legendary Weapons..., they didn't get all the Lau Kar Leung films. They actually got some good stuff, but not even close to all of it. So, if these first 30 do well, Image has already said they will get another batch of 30. And keep your fingers crossed, but I'm thinking I can nudge them in the right direction of some titles. :)

Mondo Kane 11-09-05 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Linn1
But please remember, many of the "great" kung fu films were taken my Merryaxe.

Ugh.

I've got nasty thoughts that they'll obtain the "Pei Mei" movies like Fists/White Lotus and Executioners of Shaolin to cash in on Kill Bill. I sure hope I'm wrong.

cultshock 11-10-05 12:46 AM

I wouldn't be surprised at all that Miramax did acquire those films due to the KILL BILL connection. :(

Cameron 12-08-05 11:16 PM

have they set any specific dates for any of these titles yet...

Cameron 01-17-06 07:32 PM

ok...so midway through january, and Still no press releases for anything else...two a month starting in april....where are the dates and features?

Mondo Kane 01-17-06 07:46 PM

I saw a few copies of Fearless Fighters at Best Buy today. But (Like you) I'm still awaiting word for the big one(s).

Cameron 01-17-06 07:58 PM

anybody pick up fearless fighters today?

Cameron 01-18-06 02:38 PM

well, i got fearless fighters...and watched it...not nearly as impressive on the restoration side as the celestial stuff. Don't get me wrong, the picture and sound are good, however in certain parts of the film, the print is by no means pristine, and it only has the english dub....the movie is good though, i listened to bits and pieces of the commentary, and it didn't seem like they had as much insight as "look close, there's the wire on the hat" and narrarating the story like "he now jumps on the table and kicks all 8 of those guys" Nothing spectacular.

if your in to old school kung fu....check it out, if your a casual fan, rent it.

it does come for a mail away for a free theatrical poster reprint thought...no shipping & handling, and you don't even have to pay for a stamp to send the card in.

Cameron 03-08-06 01:40 AM

updates?

hailmyname 03-08-06 02:59 AM

region 3 films are quite interesting. they do have a lot of good work and the kung fu scenes really are incredible. pls do inform about any new DVD releases.

Mondo Kane 04-26-06 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
updates?

Bump