DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Buñuel's Viridiana FINALLY from Criterion! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/443795-bu%F1uels-viridiana-finally-criterion.html)

slop101 11-02-05 05:17 PM

Buñuel's Viridiana FINALLY from Criterion!

Cat: VIR040
Title: Viridiana
UPC: 0-37429-21262-2
SRP: $29.95
Prebook date: 1/24/06
Street date: 2/28/06

Viridiana - Banned in Spain and denounced by the Vatican, surrealist genius Luis Buñuel's hilarious vision of life as a beggar's banquet is regarded by many as his masterpiece. Young novice Viridiana does her utmost to maintain her Catholic principles, but her lecherous uncle and a motley assemblage of paupers force her to confront the limits of her idealism. Winner of the Palme d'or at the 1961 Cannes Film Festival, this anticlerical free-for-all is as shocking today as ever.

I am so stoked!
This is one of my favorite films of all time.
Too bad it's not a double disc set.

Damfino 11-02-05 05:27 PM

I'd rather have Exterminating Angel, but this is great news!

bboisvert 11-02-05 05:31 PM

Awesome news! :thumbsup:

marty888 11-02-05 05:31 PM

Great news - an immediate buy for me!

The Bus 11-02-05 05:40 PM

Speaking of Buñuelian Spanish-language directors, I'm excited to see this. But where, oh where is Jodorowsky? It's going to be close to ten years that DVD has been out (if not already) and still not a single non-bootleg film from this gentleman?

I feel like the people who criticize Criterion for continually releasing Kurosawa films and then ignoring other directors.

DrGerbil 11-02-05 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Damfino
I'd rather have Exterminating Angel, but this is great news!

Of course, but Viridiana is a close second for me... a must buy! :thumbsup:

IanUngstad 11-02-05 05:46 PM

Uh..apparently Criterion IS putting out the Jodorowsky catalogue in 2006. :)

William Fuld 11-02-05 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
Speaking of Buñuelian Spanish-language directors, I'm excited to see this. But where, oh where is Jodorowsky? It's going to be close to ten years that DVD has been out (if not already) and still not a single non-bootleg film from this gentleman?

I feel like the people who criticize Criterion for continually releasing Kurosawa films and then ignoring other directors.

Fando and Lis has been out for years and Santa Sangre is available in Region 2.

Charlie_Chaplin 11-02-05 06:41 PM

Hmmm.. On with Bunuel from CC! Hope Los Olvidados comes out next! And please a decent DVD edition of Un chien Andalou

bboisvert 11-02-05 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_Chaplin
And please a decent DVD edition of Un chien Andalou

Are you region free?

If so, there's a good edition from BFI out in Region 2. It really blows away the terrible Region 1 edition:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...ienandalou.htm

chente 11-02-05 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Fando and Lis has been out for years and Santa Sangre is available in Region 2.

Very excited about more Bunuel. Regarding Santa Sangre, the R2 disc is very good. If you are a fan of the film, don't hesitate to buy it.

djtoell 11-02-05 07:34 PM

FWIW, Fando y Lis has been out of print on DVD in the US for a while.

DJ

FilmFanSea 11-02-05 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie_Chaplin
Hmmm.. On with Bunuel from CC! Hope Los Olvidados comes out next!

Los Olvidados is coming in 2006 ... but from Koch Lorber, not Criterion.

slop101 11-03-05 12:01 AM

The Bunuel I want most now is Simon of the Desert - it would make a perfect extra on a dvd of Exterminating Angel.

Originally Posted by djtoell
FWIW, Fando y Lis has been out of print on DVD in the US for a while.

That's too bad - the best part of that disc is the commentary with Jodorowsky where he comes off more than a little insane... "See dees actor? I hate heem! Watch how I torture heem!!"

pro-bassoonist 11-03-05 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus

Yep, that would be me...thank you!!
Great news!

Now that we're seeing some favorite directors coming out...how about at least one Kusturica film from the beloved label, and some Central/Eastern European cinema (not enough).

Ciao,
Pro-B

FilmFanSea 11-03-05 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by slop101
The Bunuel I want most now is Simon of the Desert - it would make a perfect extra on a dvd of Exterminating Angel.

Given their common (sac-)religious themes, I think Viridiana would make a much better companion to Simon of the Desert on DVD. Seeing the lovely Silvia Pinal playing a religious novice and a bearded devil back-to-back would be irresistible.

evenswr 11-04-05 10:12 PM

Great news!
I love Viridiana!!
I even mentioned it a few weeks ago in the Which films would you release if you were Criterion? thread...

dick_grayson 11-04-05 10:17 PM

never seen it but I'm a big fan of Bunuel. good stuff. :)

AmonTwin 12-26-05 12:53 AM

From the Criterion website:

Silvia Pinal to Appear on Upcoming Viridiana Release

We are pleased to announce that we have secured a video interview with Silvia Pinal, the luminous star of Luis Buñuel's Viridiana, for inclusion on our upcoming release of the film. This eleventh-hour addition will require us to postpone the street date, but given Pinal’s contributions to this and other of Bunuel's Mexican/Spanish films, we feel it's well worth the wait. Look for Viridiana in May of 2006!

garmonbozia 01-31-06 04:35 AM

Criterion has now removed the listing for Viridiana from their website. I wonder if these means an even further delay?

marty888 01-31-06 07:06 AM

I'll be an optimist, and assume they haven't settled on which Tuesday in May .....

mcarver 02-01-06 12:01 PM

05/23/2006 seems to be the May date chosen....

Originally Posted by marty888
I'll be an optimist, and assume they haven't settled on which Tuesday in May .....

Twiggystar 02-01-06 12:22 PM

Does anyone here have all of Buñuel's movies? I'm missing maybe only 3 and I would love to have them all, I can't remember which one right now though.
Funny thing last night, I was reading "My Last Sight" Buñuel's autobiography and had a dream about him, very Buñuelesque.

Twiggystar 03-03-06 01:40 PM

Artwork update:

http://criterionco.com/content/image...ox_348x490.jpg

I like the first cover they better than this, but any new Bunuel release is good enought for me.

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/ima.../75/257875.jpg

wergo 03-03-06 03:50 PM

Happy about this, happy about the Jodorowsky, but WHEN are we FINALLY gonna get the classic Andy Warhol films??????

Is it to much to ask for 'Chelsea Girls', '*****' and 'Empire'?

Oh, and also 'Nazarin.' My old Image laserdisc is starting to shiow signs of laser rot.