Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Joss Whedon's Serenity on DVD - Dec 20th

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by reverie
There was an SE in the works? What was it supposedly to contain..? Maybe they're holding onto it for now so we all buy this and then they'll release that one... nah, no company would do that! (No complaints from me, the more Serenity, the better!)
The only thing I remember that Joss Whedon confirmed for the SE was a full cast commentary. There was fan speculation of it containing R_Tam Sessions and more documentaries and whatnot. Also, fans hoped for an extended version of the film but apparently Joss Whedon had said that the theatrical edition was his director's cut and he has no plans for an extended cut of any sort.

Oh and it seems that the disdain towards the coverart was enough to start this petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/SerenDVD/petition.html
Old 11-08-05, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fan covers already being made: http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/...er=asc&start=0

This is my favourite:
Old 11-08-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Regarding the Australian DVD release: http://www.serenitymovie.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=1705
Old 11-08-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Besides everyone being all bug-eyed, that's a lot better.
Old 11-08-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the Aussie ver. has better artwork (considering the R1 , that's already a given) AND DTS, i'm gonna hold out for that release.
Old 11-08-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by RaMMaR
If the Aussie ver. has better artwork (considering the R1 , that's already a given) AND DTS, i'm gonna hold out for that release.
All Australian DVDs have huge ratings certificates taking up 1/4 of the front cover. And PAL speedup negates the advantages of DTS.
Old 11-08-05, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't mind the menus, but this coverart really is atrocious. I might just make a custom black cover with the Serenity logo, sort of like Armageddon Criterion.

Still, I'm looking forward to this.
Old 11-08-05, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
All Australian DVDs have huge ratings certificates taking up 1/4 of the front cover. And PAL speedup negates the advantages of DTS.
So... our only hope for a DTS ver. w/ a decent cover is HK/KOR?
Old 11-08-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ugabuga
Well i liked the movie and will buy the dvd, though i forsee this in 6 months being in $5 bins at many stores.
Ouch. I doubt this release will be this year's From Justin to Kelly where the product just sits there and collects dust without a huge pricedrop. Considering Firefly has sold 500,000 copies, I'd expect Serenity to sell the same amount, plus additional copies from those folks who simply buy every big release each week (and there are tons of people like that).
Old 11-09-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RocShemp
This is my favourite:
I'm not sure I like the poses for the front, but it is indeed a very shiny cover.

I don't totally hate what we're getting, it's nice enough, but they really could have done a much better job. And made Summer look like Summer, and not some 25 year old whore (companion).
Old 11-13-05, 06:37 AM

I'll be there for the DVD, and it'll be the first time I've ever longed for a double dip. There's no way I'm not buying this, but I sure hope they give us some more special features.

I don't hate the cover as much as some, but after seeing some fan covers I decided Universal could have done MUCH better! Some more fan cover art can be found hosted in my gallery at www.exoticcatz.com/fireflyphotos

This is my favorite fan cover:

Old 11-13-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm curious why some in this thread feel that this release isn't a SE?
Is it just because there's no cast commentary?
Or that it doesn't go as in-depth as say one of the LOTR:EE DVDs (which I doubt they'll ever do)?

I mean it's got director's commentary, deleted scenes, a couple of documentaries, etc, it's far from being a bare bones release.
Joss Whedon was even quoted as saying this was how he wanted the film to be, so no added footage needs to be put back in for an extended edition/director's cut.
Old 11-13-05, 01:23 PM

Can't wait to get my fingers on this disc. I loved this movie.
Old 11-13-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by darqleo
I'm curious why some in this thread feel that this release isn't a SE?
Is it just because there's no cast commentary?
Or that it doesn't go as in-depth as say one of the LOTR:EE DVDs (which I doubt they'll ever do)?

I mean it's got director's commentary, deleted scenes, a couple of documentaries, etc, it's far from being a bare bones release.
Joss Whedon was even quoted as saying this was how he wanted the film to be, so no added footage needs to be put back in for an extended edition/director's cut.
The promise of an extended cut is not what has people not refering to this as a special edition. It's that Joss Whedon had mentioned there being a better edition (featuring more in-depth documentaries and a cast commentary) in four to five months time after this release that would include even more special features. It's not that this releases is considered barebones. It's just considered standard.
Old 11-13-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All i can see of the dvd cases on my shelf are the spines so the cover isnt that important to me.
Old 11-13-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

RocShemp : Cool thanks, I must have missed that interview.
Old 11-15-05, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by jetflair
I don't hate the cover as much as some, but after seeing some fan covers I decided Universal could have done MUCH better!
Shox 'Blowncoat's collection' WIP covers at the den look the best that Ive seen so far.
Old 11-16-05, 04:55 AM

I'm a huge fan and I'll be UPS-ing a copy to the UK, so my question is which retailer is more reliable about release dates, amazon or DVDempire.
Empire have chaeper UPS costs, but this movie is a must have VIP pressies so it's got to get here in time.
Old 11-16-05, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It's that Joss Whedon had mentioned there being a better edition (featuring more in-depth documentaries and a cast commentary) in four to five months time after this release that would include even more special features. .

Is this better edition still going to come out, or did the movie's lack of box office success affect it?
Old 11-16-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Christi P
Is this better edition still going to come out, or did the movie's lack of box office success affect it?
Hard to say. One the one hand, the movie was a flop and Universal is going to be hesitant to budget much money towards a more elaborate special edition. On the other hand, they know that the franchise has a small but loyal fan base that will rebuy whatever double-dip they put out there. I guess it really depends on how well the first DVD release sells.
Old 11-16-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazon.com has dropped their price to $16.98
Old 11-19-05, 06:44 AM

My guess is that Universal will release the "Shiny Edition" dvd or a name equally as cutsy and more repulsive. I personally will buy whatever they throw at us just in the vain hope of seeing a sequel. Long live the crew of Serenity.
Old 11-19-05, 09:50 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

well where is this interview where he stated a better edition is coming out, i guess i cannot wait with all this uncertainty, i have to pick it up.
Old 12-02-05, 02:28 AM

Here's some good news browncoats (though it's not officially confirmed):

Originally Posted by Ign Filmforce
FilmForce has heard that, although it was very disappointed in the poor boxoffice showing for Serenity, Universal may not have retired Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his renegade crew just yet.

Sources said that, given the strong sales of the TV series Firefly on DVD, Universal is planning a sequel film to Serenity that will be produced with and to broadcast premiere on the Sci Fi Channel, which is part of the NBC Universal family.

The project is said to be a lower budget undertaking streamlined for the small-screen.

IGN FilmForce checked with Joss Whedon's camp who denied the claim; Universal did not comment.

Time will tell if this rumor pans out.
Old 12-02-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Must not get excited... must not get excited...

It would work just as good on TV as any other medium. I'm not sure what the budget was for the show, but it looked great to me!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.