Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Purchased "The Muppet Show-Season 1" - NO DVD's Inside

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-30-05, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else have this problem? Purchased "The Muppet Show- Season One", 4-DVD boxed set from a very famous legitimate "record store" .com

My problem, I purchased this in advance to give to a relative (Muppet Show fan) as a gift, so now the 35 day return period is over. Boy was I embarrassed yesterday when he opened it and found nothing inside. It had a very flimsy plastic wrap (no other security seals or wrapping). NOT ONE DVD in the container.

I have all receipts etc, but I don't know if I have much of a case with the store. Would the manufacturer (Buena Vista) give me any consideration? They would surely know if this was a common problem.
Old 10-30-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Boy, I'll bet Statler and Waldorf are laughing at you right now.

I'd give all options a shot. Definitely not unheard of and certainly not something you'd just wanna let go.
Old 10-30-05, 02:43 AM
Cool New Member

Man that really does suck. I didn't have a problem when I bought both versions from Best Buy (of course the felt one is still sealed though, so it could have no discs).

I would definetely try going through both companies to try and get it replaced, as long as you have all receipts for it I don't see any problem with getting them replaced and yes I'm sure Buena Vista has heard of the problem if it happened to you. Good luck.
Old 10-30-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
I'm assuming you got this from Wherehouse. They deal with used DVDs so I'm curious if it was listed as such. The flimsy wrapping should've been a red flag to check it out.

I'd try the store first but it depends on the person you talk to. If it was bought as used then they might stick to their policy.

Good luck!
Old 10-30-05, 08:45 AM

this happened to me once... luckily the store i bought it from was the same store i bought 90% of my dvds at that time (when i was buyiing like 10 a week) and it was a cheap movie (True Lies) that was being had for in the 7.99 area... they were shocked & made the exchange...
Old 10-30-05, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This sort of thing never happened with me when I've bought from Wherehouse.com (and I've bought plenty!), in defense of them. It has happened with hitmenow.com, however. In all fairness, the OP did not state what store he bought it at. My advice: write the store's customer service. If they are professional they'll grant you a refund.
Old 10-30-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A friend of mine once bought a Nintendo 64 game at Toys R Us and the box didnt have the game in it.
Old 10-30-05, 11:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Boy, someone was snoozing at the factory!
Old 10-30-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This happened to me once. Lucky for me I opened the package as soon as I got to my car in the parking lot (I thought it felt a bit light for a 2 disc set). As soon as I saw there were no discs inside I walked back into the store and let them know. It was the only copy they had in the store, so they just refunded me my money and I bought that item elsewhere.
Old 10-30-05, 12:17 PM
Cool New Member

I'd go with the following steps to resolve the situation:

1.) Contact the merchant to resolve the problem. Their official return period may be over, but they sold you defective merchandise - not something they should easily be able to walk away from. If they don't resolve the issue for you....

2.) Contact your credit card company while within the 60 day dispute period and file a dispute over the charge - you didn't get what you ordered. More likely than not, they'll shove the DVD set down the merchant's throat. If not...

3.) Sue them.
Old 10-30-05, 12:38 PM

NOT wherehouse.com

Thanks all for writing, but it is TOWER records, not wherehouse.com. I'm going to start with them tomorrow, then I'll try the prod co, then the credit card idea is good too!!!

Ralph
(love those guys up in the balcony)
Old 10-30-05, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by DingDong
Sue them.
Forgive me if you were joking around here, but I don't think anybody would ever take a case over a $30 DVD set.

IMHO your best bet is to contact customer service and explain to them the honest truth and if they are giving you problems, threaten to contact the BBB and the media saying that you have received illegitimate merchandise.
Old 11-01-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
update?