Brat Pack Collection- November 1st

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-29-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From DVD Times:

"Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Brat Pack Collection for 1st November 2005 priced at $39.98 SRP. This set brings together John Hughes' The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Weird Science in a set that also features a Brat Pack Collection CD (contents TBC).

The DVDs included are identical to those available individually and released as part of the High School Reunion collection, boasting English DTS audio and anamorphic widescreen transfers. Extras are restricted to Trailers and Recommendations."

So...many...questions.... The current discs don't even have trailers, so are those actually going to be on these "new" editions? Will all the music still be intact? And is this indicating a fourth disc of special features for all three movies, or...?
Old 06-29-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, from DVD Answers:

"Universal has officially announced The Brat Pack Collection, which includes The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Weird Science. Each will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with both English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and English DTS 5.1 Surround tracks. English, French and Spanish subtitles will also be provided. As far as we know, the only extra material will be the theatrical trailers for Breakfast Club and Weird Science, and some recommendations. You'll be able to own this one from the 1st November this year, priced at around $39.98. Stay tuned for the official region one package artwork."

This doesn't even mention a Brat Pack Collection CD. And by "CD," do they actually mean DVD, or is it going to be some collection of songs from the three movies on an included CD?
Old 06-29-05, 08:23 AM

I bought the High School Reunion set, but my question is why would anyone repurchase this set? I'll await further details but I don't think adding trailers would persuade many people to shell out $30+ again.
Old 06-29-05, 08:33 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skoobooz
The current discs don't even have trailers, so are those actually going to be on these "new" editions?
Actually, as the article you referenced mentions, only SIXTEEN CANDLES is missing its trailer.
Old 06-29-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Actually, as the article you referenced mentions, only SIXTEEN CANDLES is missing its trailer.
Oops. I don't own Weird Science, and I can't seem to recall the trailer for Breakfast Club (but since I'm at work, I was unable to check for sure).

But indeed, if this isn't a "Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Collection"-type situation, with a fourth disc of supplements (including the documentaries and such Universal said they were working on back at Studio Day 2000, or so), then it will be rather disappointing. In my opinion, it's too bad that most John Hughes films are without supplements on DVD, as they could easily lend themselves to decent retrospective documentaries, commentaries and so forth, and we all know that there's at least an hour of deleted scenes for Breakfast Club alone, not to mention what could exist for Sixteen Candles, Weird Science, et al.

But then, the status of all John Hughes-related films and their supplements is probably a discussion for a separate thread. I just hope these three movies get some significant features.
Old 06-29-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just want to know which soundtracks these will have
Old 06-29-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nagheenanajar
I bought the High School Reunion set, but my question is why would anyone repurchase this set? I'll await further details but I don't think adding trailers would persuade many people to shell out $30+ again.
I don't think this is aimed at getting people to "repurchase"... rather trying to get people who don't own these to get them for the first time.

I'd imagine that this will be packaged in Universal's "Franchise Collection" ala the recent Gary Cooper and Marlon Brando releases.
Old 06-29-05, 06:15 PM
Banned

Totally beside the point, perhaps, but the term Brat Pack was coined after the release of St. Elmo's Fire and had nothing to do with these three John Hughes comedies. Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald, who were part of the so-called Pack, just happened to co-star in Breakfast Club.
Old 06-29-05, 07:31 PM

This release does not make any sense to me at all.
Old 06-30-05, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rusty James
Totally beside the point, perhaps, but the term Brat Pack was coined after the release of St. Elmo's Fire and had nothing to do with these three John Hughes comedies. Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Molly Ringwald, who were part of the so-called Pack, just happened to co-star in Breakfast Club.
Actually, the entire starring cast of The Breakfast Club is considered part of the Brat Pack except for Principle Richard Vernon and Carl the Janitor.
Old 06-30-05, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Me neither. Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club, especially, are just crying out for proper special edition treatment. Why waste time with these Mickey Mouse "Totally Extreme Repackaging" Editions that offer absolutely nothing new? Oh well, more money for me to spend on WB and Criterion titles in November!
Old 06-30-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
Welcome to Universal Home Video!
Old 07-01-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe they're getting rid of the forced trailers on these.
Old 07-01-05, 09:51 AM

Or maybe we'll get a Hip-Hop retrospective doc like Scarface...only this time with Aaron Carter and former American Idol contestants.
Old 07-21-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from the bits

Universal has announced The Brat Pack Movies and Music Collection box set for release on 11/1 (SRP $39.98), which will include The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles and Weird Science (each in anamorphic widescreen video with both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio) and a music CD of classic 80s hits. This will all be packaged in a simulated 3-ring binder.

3-Ring Binder?

I just want to know which soundtrack will be on these titles
Old 07-25-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want to know if Weird Science is going to have the muted audio put back in.
Old 08-04-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from davis

Old 10-29-05, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Any more info/pictures on this? It comes out in a few days and I still am curious what special features, if any, are included.
Old 10-29-05, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I saw a commercial for this today....no idea what kind of extras are included though
Old 10-29-05, 06:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Quack
I saw a commercial for this today....no idea what kind of extras are included though
So did I...
Old 10-29-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw this on the shelf in Bestbuy last week. It looks like a small 3 ring binder. I didn't even bother looking at it too close.