Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDs you've bought even though you *hate* the movie.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVDs you've bought even though you *hate* the movie.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: DVDs you've bought even though you *hate* the movie.

No.

But If I could do that fancy predict-the-future-crime type thing like in Minority Report with predict-the-movie-you'll-hate for my blind buys, I'm sure I'd find some. Unfortunately. But occasionally, I may get a Minority vote that is favorable, so I still have to watch those blind buys first. Darn it.
Old 10-01-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr. b_dvd
The Good Girl
The Upside of Anger
Shark Boy and Lava Girl
Magnolia SE
Panic Room
To me, these are all awesome movies. To each their own.

This thread is amazing and eye-opening.

Some people hate The Lord of the Rings? Really?
Old 10-01-09, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Seven Samurai.

I don't downright hate, but when trying to decide which movie to watch next, that one doesn't rank very high...
you are insane.
Old 10-01-09, 06:49 PM

this whole thread does not make sense to me
unless you are buying it for someone else, why would you buy the DVD for a movie you hate?
this really shows that many collectors have an obsessive mental issue
Old 10-01-09, 07:03 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Prom Night 2. I've seen it a couple of times and it bores me to death every time. I'm a bit of a completionist, so I had to buy it. That's also why I have all those direct to DVD American Pie movies.
Old 10-02-09, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets see...

Superman IV in the Ultimate Box Set
Alien 3 in the Quadrilogy
Batman & Robin in the Anthology Box Set
A Nightmare On Elm Street 2 in the Box Set
Friday The 13th Part V:New Beginning in Ultimate Box Set and Deluxe Edition '2009 Rerelease' single disc edition(for extras and completist's sake)
Night of the Living Dead ORIGINAL(yeah I know this is a Sin Zombie or even general Horror movie wise,but I just can't stand it\But I LOVE Dawn,and the NOTLD Remake,and like Land of the Dead and Day of the Dead/ but kept it for the Commentaries,Historical Significance. As matter of fact I have bought this movie 4 TIMES! The 30th Anniversary "Hackjob" Edition,the Millenium Edition(for the George Romero/Cast & Crew Commentaries and the interesting "Night of the Living Bread" short),the Fox Mike Nelson/Colorized release(for the Nelson commentary),and finally the newest 40th Anniversary Edition(for the new Feature Length Documentary) But like I said I also wanted the movie due to the fact that the Horror Movie and even the Entire Movie Industry would be very different if not for Romero's debut with NOTLD. I mean there would be no Dawn,Day,Land or Return Series/Shaun/Resident Evil series(movies OR games)/Zombieland etc. etc. Sorry for the long rant....)

Blind Buys of Movies I HATED but had reasons to keep...
Drawing Flies(for the Kevin Smith Commentary)
Vulgar(for the Kevin Smith Commentary and Dogma featurette)
Road House Deluxe Edition(for the Kevin Smith Commentary)
Thou Shalt Not Kill......EXCEPT!!!(for the Bruce Campbell Commentary)
Going Back(for the Bruce Campbell Commentary)

Movies that Completist's Sake or Not,I'm never gonna buy...
Halloween III
Texas Chainsaw Massacre:Next Generation

and I'm sure there might be a few more for each catergory but these are what popped in my mind.
Old 10-02-09, 08:43 AM

I've never bought a movie that I hate on DVD. What's the point in wasting good money on something I'd never watch? However, I have bought a few DVDs blind that I hated because they were cheap enough. A few I remember include I Am Legend, The 40 Year Old Virgin, The Prestige and Dan in Real Life.
Old 10-03-09, 04:01 AM

Miss Congeniality 2: Armed & Fabulous

I already owned part 1 so on Black Friday I saw part 2 for $2 and I felt like I had to get it even though I don’t really like it…. Waste of money.
Old 10-06-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Donnie Darko! I'd seen it before and didn't like it, which was a very unpopular opinion to have around my friends and they convinced me to give it another shot. Picked it up for like $5 at Best Buy (theatrical cut; the DC hadn't been released yet) and watched it probably 2-3 more times before finally selling it off. It's a movie that feels like it's right up my alley, but for whatever reason it just doesn't click for me.

There's also a handful of movies that I hate but own because they were part of a boxset: Die Hard 2, The Matrix 3, Temple of Doom...probably a couple others that I can't recall.

And, in the "WTF was I thinking!?" category, I used to count Armageddon and The Rock among my collection. I owned the first Saw at one point as well, but I'm not really sure how I ended up with it.
Old 10-08-09, 09:05 AM

Here's the only situation in which I would buy a movie that I hate.

I currently own Spider-man and Spider-man 2... both great movies. I hated Spider-man 3, so I never bought it. I'm fine with ending my collection at the first 2 Spider-man movies. However, if Spider-man 4 comes out and its great enough for me to buy, then I also feel like I have to get Spider-man 3 to complete the story. My thinking behind it is that in Spider-man 4, Harry Osborn will already be dead... and at the end of Spider-man 2 he's still alive and well. So the continuity between 2 and 4 is messed up without having 3 there as well.

So even though 3 was terrible, if 4 is great, I'll have to buy 3 in order to complete the story. But for now, I'm just sticking with 1 and 2.
Old 10-08-09, 11:57 AM
Cool New Member

I have baught hundreds of movies im not a fan of and a few that i just down right hate. I do this because i dont just buy movies for me i buy them for any occasion and/or situation. What if you have a really hot girl over for a first date and all you have is guy flicks??? I have something for everyone and having some lame chick flicks can really score points .

however the movies i have that i cant stand are..

Lord of the rings all of them. (hands down in the top ten worst films of all time)
Sex in the City the Movie
and a few others,

however let me just say even though i dont like them i can understand how many do so im not saying they are bad for everyone.
Old 10-08-09, 05:12 PM

Hmm lemme see..
Texas Chainsaw Massacre Next Generation
Saw 5
Nightmare on Elm St 2
Troll 2
Blair Witch Book of Shadows

There are others. Some are because it was a double feature and others are because I want the set of movies.
Old 10-09-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

LOL I just sent away for the Superman boxed set...after seeing so many people can number 4 I think my memories as an 8 year old have been far to kind to it!

Myself, I felt the need to have all three X-mens though I really don't like number 3, and to own all three Spider-Mans, even though numbers 2 and 3 were pretty bad IMO. Hate is probably too strong a word...but I did buy them knowing I really didn't care for them at all. Just had to have those spines lined up on the shelf.
Old 10-12-09, 12:45 PM

The only one I knew I hated going into the purchase was the 3rd The Crow movie (Salvation? I ignore it so don't remember the exact title).

I really like the first two films, but it was cheaper to buy the box set of three than individual dvds of the first two.
Old 10-12-09, 03:04 PM

The only movie I have bought even though I knew I disliked it was Lord of the Rings Return of the King. I dislike that movie so naturally I had to own it on extended dvd right?
Old 10-13-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

I'll ad one movie to this list, when Transfromers Revenge of the fallen comes out next week, not a great movie, but will make an awesome bluray.
Old 10-21-09, 08:07 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by speedy1961
That last Tommy Lee Jones movie: "Man of the House".
me too...in same boat as you..!!
Old 10-23-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would only buy a movie I hate as a gift for someone else.
Old 10-25-09, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as i remember, none.
Old 10-26-09, 10:12 PM

As far as boxed sets go, I've gotten Batman and Robin as well as Superman IV with the worthwhile movies of those respective series.

Though I haven't picked up Spiderman 3 yet, I probably will end up doing that eventually to complete my series (But I am totally fine with only having the first two X-men movies)

Probably the one movie that I ended up buying without it being in the middle of a franchise would be Escape from New York, which I first bought on a blind buy and ended up not caring for.

Still when I found a new two disc special edition for less than I had paid for the one disc used edition that I already had, I felt like I needed to right that wrong in my collection.
Old 10-26-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Demonmoon68
I have baught hundreds of movies im not a fan of and a few that i just down right hate. I do this because i dont just buy movies for me i buy them for any occasion and/or situation. What if you have a really hot girl over for a first date and all you have is guy flicks??? I have something for everyone and having some lame chick flicks can really score points .

however the movies i have that i cant stand are..

Lord of the rings all of them. (hands down in the top ten worst films of all time)
Sex in the City the Movie
and a few others,

however let me just say even though i dont like them i can understand how many do so im not saying they are bad for everyone.

That LOTR is pretty bold. They must be in the top ten worst of all time for you. I agree about Sex and the City.
Old 10-26-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I may not have loved the Star Wars prequels or Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but I liked them enough that I went ahead and bought them on DVD. (I actually enjoy Revenge of the Sith, despite the obnoxious plot holes.) And, yes, I too own Batman & Robin and Supermans III and IV because they're included in boxed sets.

But the only DVD in my library I actually hate? That would be American Beauty, and I'm pretty sure my wife brought that into our relationship with her.
Old 10-26-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by FatTony
And, in the "WTF was I thinking!?" category, I used to count Armageddon and The Rock among my collection. I owned the first Saw at one point as well, but I'm not really sure how I ended up with it.
You can put down Armageddon all you want, but how in the name of Zeus's butthole can you knock what may have been the last enjoyable movie of Sean Connery's career?
Old 10-28-09, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I haven't yet, but I will be doing so soon. I've been buying every Friday The 13th reissue special edition with the lenticular cover. I loathe Jason Goes To Hell and don't much care for Jason X. But I'm somewhat of a completist. Friday the 13th 1-10 would just look too good on my shelf to pass up. I'd sleep better at night knowing I have the complete Friday the 13th collection in matching cases.
Old 10-28-09, 03:14 AM
Banned

Halloween III

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.