Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Rot ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: DVD Rot ?

I wrote to Sheri Bogard. A LOT of discs in seasons 3-5 were bad. I think the complete set came out later so that should be OK. I got the same sets back but the discs were made by Technicolor.
Old 03-16-20, 08:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I wrote to Sheri Bogard. A LOT of discs in seasons 3-5 were bad. I think the complete set came out later so that should be OK. I got the same sets back but the discs were made by Technicolor.
Thanks for that, maybe I’ll get lucky!
Old 04-24-20, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Add these to the list of WB discs that crap out at the layer change:

Friends: Season 3, Disc 1
Friends: Season 6, Discs 1, 3, and 4

I'm sure that I'll find more; this is the first WB TV show that I've checked, and I've only checked it through Season 7. My copies of those seasons were issued in 2004, so they're in keeping with the general time frame of 2004-2007. I'll keep adding to this post as I find more.

Also, for the record, Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 1, Disc 1, Side 1 wouldn't play at all (but it's a Universal flipper disc, so I wasn't entirely surprised).

And, also for the record, my copy of The Host from Magnolia wouldn't play past the layer change. That one seems to be quite widespread.

Last edited by rbrown498; 04-24-20 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-26-20, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Going through my Warners DVDs now. So far I haven't had as may problems as others here.

So far I've playback issues with the following films:

Stanley Kubrick Boxed Set (Black one from 2007/8):
Eyes Wide Shut DVD won't play between chapters 22 and 30. Naturally, that's the one film from that box that I don't have on blu-ray. (Always heard the transfer was lousy and never bothered upgrading.)

Veronica Mars Season 3:
One of the episodes on either the third or fourth DVD freezes partyway through one of the episodes (don't remember the exact episode or disc).

Bleh. Going through these is tedious as fuck.

Old 04-26-20, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

I dreaded issues like this would pop up in huge television sets. I can't imagine how many non-working DVDs I must own, waiting to be discovered.
Old 04-27-20, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All of the individual movies I've checked (Personal Best, Twilight Zone, etc.) have been okay.

All six discs on The Exorcist Anthology seem to be working okay, too, despite being a problematic set and being stored in clear slim cases.

Should probably check all seven season of Tales From the Crypt, but I might wait on those until I do a re-watch of the whole series and go from there.

I'll probably just upgrade Eyes Wide Shut to blu-ray, and replace the movie disc in my Kubrick box with my old fullscreen theatrical cut DVD. I want to keep it anyway just to have a copy of the studio censored cut.

Old 05-15-20, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Going through more DVDs, and I found the following:

VERONICA MARS SEASON THREE - Only issue is that one episode craps out partway through, on the third or fourth disc, and about ten-fifteen minutes of it are unplayable.

OUTER LIMITS SEASON TWO - Original releases from MGM. All of the episodes on these Outer Limits sets are on double-sided DVD-14 and DVD-18 discs. All 32 episodes on season one seem to play (8 eps/per double sided disc, presumably DVD-18s). The first and third DVDs of season two seem to play okay, but neither side of the second disc would load on my Sony blu-ray player. The player made a lot of noise and finally started playing the first episode on one of the sides. Tried it on my Toshiba DVD-Recorder, and the menus would come up after a while, and one episode played, but it didn't want to reload the menu. This has always been a problematic set; I had to exchange the second season about eight times before I got one that worked, but it looks like one of the discs finally shit the bed. Considering these are DVD-14s and DVD-18s, I'm surprised that only one of the seven discs is bad.

Might be time to upgrade to the new blu-ray sets, or the new DVD sets for Outer Limits.

I swear, DVD-14s and DVD-18s were the worst fucking things they ever came up with. The discs are hard to manufacture, and they have a ridiculously high failure rate. I stopped getting the Farscape Starbust sets after the first season because I had to go through so many returns, it was a pain in the ass to get a set where both discs actually worked.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-16-20 at 10:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (08-19-21)
Old 05-16-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

The Outer Limits DVD sets always had reported problems. Quality control was not MGM's strong suit. I bought the Blu-rays to replace them.
Old 05-16-20, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't want to get The Outer Limits on blu-ray because I have The Twilight Zone on DVD, and don't feel the need to upgrade it. Wouldn't seem right to have TOL on blu-ray and TTZ on DVD.

I think the latest TOL DVDs have the same special features as the blu-rays, so I'll probably grab those.
Old 05-17-20, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Top Ten release of Elvira Mistress Of The Dark
Old 07-19-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I've been going through my Warner DVDs, and the majority of them are unplayable. I'm pissed. The Warner Gangster sets are mostly shot, the Maltese Falcon won't play, none of the discs in the Judy Garland/ Mickey Rooney set will load. I haven't gone through all the Warner discs I own, but so far the results are depressing. What a waste of money!

Old 09-26-20, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to watch True Romance on Blu-ray last night and it started to pixelate from the very beginning. Tested on another player and same thing.
A Warner disc of course so probably rot. Lucky I had the DVD to watch instead which I kept for the cool packaging.
Old 09-26-20, 07:30 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Add Jeepers Creepers 2 (UA/MGM Home Entertainment) to my list. Tried to watch it after JC1 and my BD player wouldn't even recognize the disc.
Old 03-12-21, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Bender's Big Score hanging at the layer change at 1:08ish . I can skip past it and back it ups to like 1:08:50 and it plays fine though.
Old 03-21-21, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add The Beatles 2 disc dvd version of Help!
The movie disc froze at around the 45 minute mark. I can see 2 strange small spots on the disc.
Old 04-17-21, 01:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

... and another one: Tell Me You Love Me - the HBO series. Discs 1 and 4 are fine, but 2 and 3 freeze around the middle point, probably at the layer change.
Old 04-17-21, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
... and another one: Tell Me You Love Me - the HBO series. Discs 1 and 4 are fine, but 2 and 3 freeze around the middle point, probably at the layer change.
Do the discs look bad, visually? Mine look flawless.
Old 04-17-21, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by andicus
Do the discs look bad, visually? Mine look flawless.
Same here, they look perfect. That's been the case with pretty much all of the ones I've reported on in this thread.
Old 04-17-21, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Same here, they look perfect. That's been the case with pretty much all of the ones I've reported on in this thread.
Thanks. I was trying to avoid having to play through them to check, but it sounds like there's no option. I'll just leave them playing, unattended.
Old 06-02-21, 01:14 AM

Found another WB title: There Was A Crooked Man. Same story: freezes around the hour mark, probably at the layer change.

I continue to report whenever I encounter a defect, just in case anyone wants the check their copies.
Old 06-02-21, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Another Warner Bros. disc, RIO BRAVO (1959), which I was watching for a piece I did on Dean Martin's centennial four years ago, froze up at the layer change. Wouldn't play past that point on any player. (I'd bought the disc ten years earlier.) I wanted to finish watching the movie, but couldn't find it streaming anywhere. Then I remembered--I had it on VHS! So I dug out that copy and finished watching it. (Since then I've acquired it on Blu-ray also.)
Old 06-03-21, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I use DVDShrink on my computer to scan DVDs for playability. So ironic that Warner discs have such a high failure rate when they were once the main studio promoting the format.
Old 07-27-21, 01:00 AM

Add another Warner Brothers disc: Prince of the City. Disc 1 is the same old story: freezes around the 1 hour mark. Disc 2 played all the way through, but it did freeze about 3 times.
Old 07-31-21, 04:22 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Currently watching Supernatural (Season 2), just found episodes on discs 4 & 5 that won't play: Houses of the Holy and Tall Tales on disc 4, and Hollywood Babylon on disc 5. Disc 4 won't go to the menu when you start the disc, when you select menu and choose either episode mentioned, then play, it freezes. Disc 5 will go to the menu but freezes when you try the play HB. They played fine the last time we watched this in 2016.
Old 08-17-21, 08:22 PM

Another one with issues: She Spies Season 1. Disc 1 and 4 play fine, but 2 and 3 have the same "freeze in the middle" problem that makes several of the episodes unplayable.

Also Straight Time, same issue, gets stuck around 1 hour 8 minutes.

Also The Naked Spur, same issue, gets stuck around the 1 hour mark.

EDIT: More to report:

Lucky Louie Season 1, a 2 disc set and both discs are bad. Same issue, freezes about half way through.

Young Riders season 1. It's a 5 disc set and every disc is bad(!)

Larry King Live: The Greatest Interviews - all 3 discs are bad

Cagney & Lacey - First Season (The True Beginning) : 4 disc set, all of the discs have varying degrees of rot.

Knots Landing Season 1. disc 1 is ok, but the rest are bad

F Troop Season 2. discs 2 and 6 are completely unreadable. The rest start freezing periodically on the 2nd layer.

Riptide Season 1. discs 3 freezes at the layer change.

Last edited by Surfinhank; 12-30-21 at 01:12 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.