Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Frisco Kid- 2/14/06

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Frisco Kid- 2/14/06

Old 02-17-06, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally watched it all the way through tonight and loved it. A solid ***/****, and definitely the best of the bunch of "lost comedies" released by Warner on the 14th (save the Madonna film which I didn't give a chance and can't comment on).

-JP
Old 02-17-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Manzana
Are there any B&M besides Best Buy which have The Frisco Kid for $10 or less? My Best Buy sold out all 2 whopping copies they got this week long before I could get there. In fact, every store in the area is sold out according to the web site. Could that be because Best Buy choose to get almost no copies?

Since I have credit at Blockbuster, Suncoast, Wherehouse, and Borders (my 4 least favorite stores), I was hoping one of those stores would have it for a decent price, but surprise surprise only Borders carries this at $14.99. Even with a 30% off coupon it's still more than Amazon or Deep Discount DVD.

I'm amazed this DVD is so hard to find. It makes me wonder if they pressed only a few hundred copies and it'll be going out of print soon. Nobody I talked to on the phone has heard of this movie, and I even sarcastically said to one of the teenage clerks on the phone "it has some guy named Harrison Ford in it, in case you've ever heard of him".

It looks like I will be forced to use Deep Discount DVD rather than use up any of my credit at those other stores. This is not meant as a complaint (for the complaint police) but simply an observation how sad it is that good movies like this are almost totally ignored because they were released a while ago. Some stores and clerks have the attitude that any movie that is more than a year old is worthless ancient history.
It's the exact same scenario with Cold Comfort Farm. You can't even rent that move at a local BlockBuster. For those of you who haven't seen that one, do yourself a favor and watch it.
Old 02-18-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Just an FYI...for those who didn't know...

Harrison wasn't the first choice for the role. John Wayne was. The director went to Wayne's death bed to plead with him to do the role...and when Wayne didn't/couldn't, he took it out on Harrison.
Bullshit! Robert Aldrich never begged!!
Old 02-18-06, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Welcome to the site Mr. Aldrich.

-JP
Old 02-18-06, 09:53 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
is this a good movie? i remember it on tv some years ago and never got into it.
Old 02-18-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Best Buy I went to had 6 copies in the comedy section.
Old 02-18-06, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Well, tell that to Harrison Ford. I heard him tell the story myself, in person, 2 weeks ago.
Old 02-18-06, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by scott1598
is this a good movie? i remember it on tv some years ago and never got into it.
Yeah, it was great. Here's a copy of my review:

The Plot: Avram Belinski is a rabbi who is making the trek from Poland to a synagogue San Francisco in 1850. After his ship harbors in Philadelphia, Avram learns that he's missed his transport from Philadelphia to California by a day. So, he sets off on horseback through a country that he knows nothing about, on his way to a destination that, as far as he knows, is "somewhere near New York." Yes, he's going to need some help. That help comes in the form of a bank robber named Tommy Lillard.

The Movie: Finally. A week ago I was all set to review five of the six "lost comedies" released by Warner Brothers on February 14th: Quick Change, Deal of the Century, The Frisco Kid, Up the Academy, and Club Paradise. These movies were directed by the likes of William Friedkin and Harold Ramis, and they featured comedic geniuses like Bill Murray, Robin Williams, and Chevy Chase in lead roles. I watched four of the films and each one left me disappointed on some level. I saved The Frisco Kid for last, not because I had the highest hopes for that one, but because it seemed like of the four it would appeal to me the least. I couldn't have been more wrong.

After reviewing the other four titles, I was left yearning for the ability to use the phrases "under appreciated" and "deserving of your attention." I desperately wanted to discover a lost comedic classic. "The Frisco Kid" was just what the doctor ordered. After four sub-par films, I can finally scream from the rooftops: see this movie! It's great, and it doesn't deserve to collect dust in some vault somewhere! Where the others failed, this one excels. The situational humor isn't of the overblown, slapstick nature. It's actually believable, and that's what makes it work so well.

This movie now ranks among my favorite "buddy films" of all time. On a side note, if you're a fan of the buddy film you should not only check out The Frisco Kid, but also give last year’s "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" a shot. It was perhaps my favorite film of the year and features consistently great humor throughout, not unlike this movie. Anyway, I digress. Where the others failed, this one excels. The direction is steady and disciplined, obvious signs of a fella that knows his way around a comedic film (further evidenced by taking a look at director Robert Aldrich's prior works, which include the 1974 classic "The Longest Yard," among other notable titles).

For the third time, where the others failed, this film excels. The acting in the other four movies ranged from acceptable to laughably sleepwalked-through. In this film, however, Gene Wilder again harnesses the comedic genius that was on display in films like "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory" and many of Mel Brooks' more noteworthy movies (Young Frankenstein, The Producers, Blazing Saddles). Harrison Ford shows what made him a star, something he sadly hasn’t been able to do for the past decade or so. This movie was a good reminder.

All told, this is the epitome of an underrated film. It's a lost classic, and it deserves your attention. The dialogue, the comedic performances, the situational humor, it's all there, and it's all handled perfectly. If you're even remotely attracted to "buddy comedies," you should give this movie a shot. Don't let the subject matter spook you the way it did me. Don't let the relatively slow first 15-20 minutes of the movie make you feel as if you've made a poor decision in trusting me on this one. Just, give it a shot, then try to tell me I was wrong. Yeah, that's a challenge, and that's how confident I am in this movie. The same goes for "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" too, while I'm at it.

Film Rating: 3/4

The DVD: I always try to be as comprehensive as I possibly can with my reviews. Sadly, Warner isn't giving me much to work with here. In fact, I'm going to copy and paste these same four points in all of my reviews for WB's February 14th comedic DVD releases. In effect, the releases are all identical, so here goes...

-The film is being released because it's an obscure title featuring a noteworthy actor behind which it can be marketed (in this case, Gene Wilder and Harrison Ford).
-The release is the epitome of bare. The only extra feature on the disc is the film's theatrical trailer (very atypical it is, you should give it a look), as well as a scene-selection menu and some subtitle and audio options.
-Per their usual, Warner failed to include an insert.
-The audio/visual is satisfactory. It's nothing for WB to put into a portfolio showing their most strenuous transfers, but the Dolby audio and widescreen transfers are solid. Kudos to WB for releasing these films in their original aspect ratios.

In the end, it seems like WB just wanted to clean out their vault. So, while these releases aren't exactly packed full of extra materials, it's still great to see some of these lost comedies finally getting a DVD release. For fans of these films who are finally able to add the titles to their collection, the nostalgic glee will overwhelm the disappointment from the lack of supplemental materials. So while Warner might have given us the bare minimum with these releases...at least it's something.

DVD Rating: 1/4
Old 02-18-06, 12:37 PM
Cool New Member

I just don't see the problem here....

Warner releases a film of limited "cult" appeal that most folks don't know about or remember, but makes it available in a good quality transfer, with proper OAR and a trailer that can be purchased online for about $10.

Virtually every company has abandoned inserts, as they add to the product cost, and are basically worthless as the same information is available on the disc itself.

Where's the problem?

This is a good film. I enjoyed it upon theatrical release as a kid, got the disc two days ago, and thought it was a terrific bargain. It looks great and sounds fine, and was nicely packaged (Remember the awful snap cases?), and it cost me ten bucks.

I'm glad that it got a first class release and a value price.
Old 02-18-06, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zvbxrpl
I just don't see the problem here....

Warner releases a film of limited "cult" appeal that most folks don't know about or remember, but makes it available in a good quality transfer, with proper OAR and a trailer that can be purchased online for about $10.

Virtually every company has abandoned inserts, as they add to the product cost, and are basically worthless as the same information is available on the disc itself.

Where's the problem?

This is a good film. I enjoyed it upon theatrical release as a kid, got the disc two days ago, and thought it was a terrific bargain. It looks great and sounds fine, and was nicely packaged (Remember the awful snap cases?), and it cost me ten bucks.

I'm glad that it got a first class release and a value price.
Inserts are an inexpensive addition to a DVD that simply rounds out the package. They don't have to have the same information as is available on the disc, they can easily contain some other information (if only images and a bit of text regarding the film). If it's not something that you look for in a release, that's fine by me. Some people simply discard slipcovers as well, but I go out of my way to find a copy with one if a release happens to come with it. Different strokes, I just prefer that inexpensive little something extra with my purchase.

Regarding the supplemental materials, or lack thereof, I did commend WB in the last paragraph of my review of the DVD package for simply getting this film out there. I don't expect them to get Harrison Ford and Gene Wilder to come in and record a commentary track for this movie. However, I'm not going to give three stars to a disc that contains the bare minimum. All that would do is degrade the commendations that I give to discs that are stacked with supplemental materials. I gave WB's Imagine: John Lennon disc 3.5/4 stars. Another niche film with a similar transfer, but it was loaded with extras, and earned it's stars. WB did a good thing in getting this film (and the others that I may not have particularly fallen in love with) out there for fans. However, the simple fact that a movie gets released on DVD doesn't mean that it deserves to be gifted with a high DVD rating. I'll save those scores for the Criterions and WB 2-4 discers of the DVD world. Hell, I gave WB's "Imagine: John Lennon" release three and a half stars, simply because it's a comparable niche film that earned it's high rating (at a similar price point, might I add).

-JP
Old 02-18-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I must be in the minority, but inserts are just worthless to me.

= J
Old 02-19-06, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

To the gentleman who posted his review...

My apologies if my comments were taken the wrong way. I had no problem with your review, nor your rating.

I was just making a comment about the economics of the DVD business.

I like inserts. I wish every disc had 'em, and I wish they were creatively done, and I wouldn't mind paying more for a disc that had a well-written booklet, but people like me are in the minority.

Virtually every studio has given up on inserts. Sad, but true.

But again, my apologies, if my comments were interpreted not as I intended.

Thanks
Old 02-19-06, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I must be in the minority, but inserts are just worthless to me.

= J
Completely agree. It's not like buying a cd that didn't have a booklet with the lyrics printed inside it. We're talking a sheet of paper. That's it. Regularly, it would only print the names of the chapters inside. Very rarely did it have background information or something other. I'd prefer all of that to be on the disc itself.