DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Ryans Daughter Feb. 7 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/442709-ryans-daughter-feb-7-a.html)

larry bender 10-25-05 01:00 AM

Ryans Daughter Feb. 7

Warner releases RYANS DAUGHTER in a two disc special edition from restored elements on Feb.7

Rad14 10-25-05 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by larry bender
Warner releases RYANS DAUGHTER in a two disc special edition from restored elements on Feb.7

Great News!! :)

I've been waiting for this for years, but where did you hear this?

John Hodson 10-25-05 09:52 AM

From the HTF:

Ryan’s Daughter - First time on DVD for Epic Masterpiece from David Lean

The Unbearable Lightness of Being - "The most erotic serious film since Last Tango in Paris" based on acclaimed author Milan Kundera’s # 1 Best Seller

Both Arrive February 7 in Two-Disc Special Editions Loaded with Bonus Content, Including New Commentaries, Documentaries, Vintage Shorts and More

BURBANK, Calif., October 24, 2005 – On February 7, 2006, Warner Home Video (WHV) celebrates Valentine’s Day with the DVD debut of David Lean’s epic love story, Ryan’s Daughter featuring a new digital transfer from the restored 65mm picture and a remastered soundtrack. Joining is another romantic classic, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Philip Kaufman’s lyrical film based on the landmark New York Times #1 best- seller by Milan Kundera, said to have been a contender for this year’s Nobel Prize. Both are being released as Two-Disc Special Editions with commentaries, documentaries, vintage shorts, newsreels and other bonus extras.

Ryan’s Daughter Two-Disc Special Edition (the movie stars Robert Mitchum, Sarah Miles and John Mills) and The Unbearable Lightness of Being Two-Disc Special Edition (stars Daniel Day-Lewis and Juliette Binoche) will each be available for $26.99 SRP/ $19.95 MAP.

Ryan’s Daughter Two-Disc Special Edition DVD (1970)

An epic tale of forbidden romance, Ryan’s Daughter stars Sarah Miles as Rosy Ryan, a lovely, headstrong Irish lass who cannot forsake her passionate romance with a handsome British officer (Christopher Jones). When her illicit affair leads to a charge of treason, it is the devotion of her reserved schoolteacher husband Charles (Robert Mitchum) that proves to be the greater love. Academy Award®-winning director David Lean (Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago) and screenwriter Robert Bolt frame this brooding romance set during the 1916 Irish Rebellion and within the expansive beaches, craggy cliffs and heathered hills of Ireland’s Dingle Peninsula. Freddie Young’s lush cinematography and John Mills’ memorable portrayal of the town simpleton won Academy Awards.

Special features include:
· The Making of Ryan’s Daughter: A Three-Part 35th-Anniversary Documentary
· Storm Rising
· Storm Chaser
· The Eye of the Storm
· Two vintage documentaries
· Ryan’s Daughter: A Story of Love
· We’re the Last of the Traveling Circuses
· Commentary by cast, crew, biographers, current directors as well as Lean’s and Mitchum’s families
· New digital transfer from restored 65mm picture and audio elements
· Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1
· Theatrical trailers
· Languages: English & French
· Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (Feature Film Only)

The Unbearable Lightness of Being Two-Disc Special Edition DVD (1988)

A young doctor’s quest for sex and his stumbling into love in Prague, circa 1968, are part of the rich storyline of this sensual film based on the novel by the Czech novelist Milan Kundera. Produced by Saul Zaentz (The English Patient, Amadeus) and directed by Philip Kaufman (The Right Stuff, Henry & June), The Unbearable Lightness of Being stars Daniel Day-Lewis (Gangs of New York, My Left Foot) as the doctor, with Lena Olin (TV’s Alias) as Sabina and Juliette Binoche (Chocolat, The English Patient) as Tereza completing the romantic triangle at the center of his world.

Special features include:
· Commentary by director/screenwriter Philip Kaufman, screenwriter
Jean-Claude Carriere, co-star Lena Olin and editor Walter Murch
· Emotional History: The Making of The Unbearable Lightness of Being
· Theatrical Trailer
· Languages: English & French
· Subtitles: English, French & Spanish (Feature Film Only)

Valentine’s Day 2006 DVDs
Pricing: Each Two-Disc DVD $26.99 SRP/$19.95 MAP
Street Date: February 7, 2006

Ryan’s Daughter Two-Disc S.E.
Rating: NR
Run Time: 106 minutes

Unbearable Lightness of Being Two-Disc S.E.
Rating: R
Run Time: 114 Minutes

obscurelabel 10-25-05 11:16 AM

The most interesting thing about the ULOB press release is the commentary, which sounds like it's the Criterion one (unless WB was able to reassemble the same four cast and crew members). I know a few Criterion commentaries have been licensed when studios re-released their own versions of previous Criterion releases ... I wonder if this means we will see more?

There's a thread at HTF about Criterion commentaries on other studio's releases ... too lazy to search now, but I know they include:

Raging Bull
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

but not
Bad Day at Black Rock

which is excellent from what I've heard.

Criterion have licensed Short Cuts from WBs New Line division, I wonder if they now have a working relationship??

Rad14 10-26-05 07:17 AM

This is terrific news.

Can't wait for February 7th! :)

I wonder why they waited so long to release Ryan's Daughter?

I suppose because critics always panned it. But over the years it seems to have found an audience:

http://www.petitiononline.com/dvidlean/petition.html

Cameron 10-26-05 11:35 AM

good news