DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Warner Brothers TV-on-DVD Problems (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/442343-warner-brothers-tv-dvd-problems.html)

critterdvd 10-21-05 01:53 PM

Warner Brothers TV-on-DVD Problems

I was just wondering if anyone knows a solid reason why Warner Brothers doesn't release DVD's of single-season TV Shows. For example they own the rights to "Birds of Prey," "Glory Days," and a bunch of other 13/15 episode series that have large cult fan bases, yet they never seem to be releasing DVD sets of those shows...

I'm just wondering if they've ever made a comment or something on this...

marty888 10-21-05 03:26 PM

First of all, I don't think that a show that actually had an "extremely large fan base" would be a one-season show, so the titles you mentioned may have a very devoted following, but hardly a mass audience.

There are so many more successful shows that have not yet been released, and I'm sure that the powers that be get a bit concerned about flooding the market with TV product. I would suspect that the more "cult" type TV shows may be placed on the back burner while the more popular shows continue to roll out.

sman113 10-21-05 03:41 PM

If a show ran only 13 episodes, its because it DIDNT have an extremely large fanbase, let alone even a 'large' one. And since they arent out on DVD yet, they probably dont have a devoted fan base either. See, for instance, Firefly ... whose fans rabid devotion got the series released in its proper form on DVD (and we all know what happened from there).

Jackskeleton 10-21-05 03:41 PM

Just cause Fox does it, doesn't mean all the other studios are willing to own up to their mistakes (in either cancelling a good show or admitting they had a bad show)

WB hs a lot of other bigger fish to fry, so these burned out series really aren't top priority to them.

Rocketdog2000 10-21-05 07:03 PM

Doesn't meant that it won't happen at some time, though. WB always used to say that they had no plans of ever releasing The Flash - which also only ran for one season - but now it's coming out on 1/10/06.

Things can, and do change. Just don't bet any kind of money on it.

grundle 10-21-05 08:10 PM

Regardless of who owned it, I would think that if any show hasn't been released on DVD yet, the most likley reason is because they don't think it would be able to sell enough copies to justify the investment.

I don't know who owns the rights to "Square Pegs" and "It's Your Move." Those both ran for one season, are high quality shows, and have a sizeable following. But I guess the estimated sales aren't big enough to justity the release.

Of course, studios have been wrong before. The consumer demand for the DVD sets of "My So-Called Life" and "Freaks and Geeks" was highly underestimated by the studios.

I don't think this situation is exclusive or particular to Warner Bros. or to anyone else. I think all the studios are like that.

Yocke 10-21-05 08:54 PM

Man, I can't wait for them to release Fastlane. And yes, I'm serious.

Peep 10-22-05 12:33 AM

Very misleading title.

mifuneral 10-22-05 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by marty888
First of all, I don't think that a show that actually had an "extremely large fan base" would be a one-season show, so the titles you mentioned may have a very devoted following, but hardly a mass audience.

I'd assume you've never heard of Firefly. Neilson Ratings have gone quite a ways towards eliminating the importance of a large fanbase to the reletive success of a show. Production costs are a larger factor in many cases.

Originally Posted by sman113
See, for instance, Firefly ... whose fans rabid devotion got the series released in its proper form on DVD (and we all know what happened from there).

..the dvds sold well enough to warrant a feature length film? How often does that happen. Where's the Seinfeld movie? Where's the Friends movie?