Kingdom of Heaven - Oct. 11th

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kingdom of Heaven - Oct. 11th

no official announcement yet, but here's an article about what to expect:
'Kingdom' DVD for DIY documentary makers

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - When "Kingdom of Heaven" comes out on DVD on Oct. 11, viewers will be able to create their own documentary on the making of the film, a box office disappointment that grossed slightly less than $46 million in theaters despite an all-star cast that includes Orlando Bloom, Liam Neeson and Jeremy Irons.

Working with director Ridley Scott's production company, Scott Free Prods., Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment created an interactive production grid that allows viewers to assemble their choice of 16 custom documentaries, ranging in length from eight minutes to 90 minutes and based on their own interests.

"We wanted to try to something new," said DVD producer Charles de Lauzirika, who produces all of Scott's DVDs. "I don't know if others will want to do it down the road, but I thought it was a nice one-time experiment to see how it works."

At the main menu, viewers will see a grid "that gives you the power to tailor your documentary to your liking," Lauzirika said. "If, for example, you want to know what the director did in preproduction, you click one button, or if you want to see what the cast did during postproduction, you click on that button.

"If you want to see what the director did during the whole filming of the movie, you can filter out everything else and just get the director's perspective -- or the timeline, or what they all did in preproduction."

Die-hard fans of the film, Lauzirika said, "can just hit play and see the whole thing."

Lauzirika has produced more than 20 DVDs, beginning with "Hannibal" in 2001.

The "Kingdom of Heaven" DVD, which will retail for $29.98, also features five hours of other bonus materials, including a streaming text commentary with historical notes about the Crusades, an A&E "Movie Real" feature titled "History vs. Hollywood," and interviews with Bloom and Scott.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
if they're giving the theatrical release such a lavish treatment, you gotta wonder what they're saving for the 4-disc Director's Cut (if that's still going to come out, that is).
Old 07-11-05, 03:20 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm assuming this'll include Scott's extended cut of the film?
Old 07-11-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

probably not.

what i've heard is that they're doing it a la LOTR. first a 2-disc set of the theatrical edition and then a 4-disc Director's Cut.. but we won't know until they properly announce it.. if we're unlucky they've scrapped the 4-disc DC because of it's (relatively) poor box office performance.
Old 07-11-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Hmm...what to do what to do... Unless we get some more concrete details on any Ext Edition, I'll probably just pick this one up.
Old 07-11-05, 03:32 PM

$46 million is all its made? Thats almost pathetically low for a May release of a big budget, Ridley Scott movie.
Old 07-11-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by yellowbedwetter
$46 million is all its made? Thats almost pathetically low for a May release of a big budget, Ridley Scott movie.
I don't even remember it being released. That says something right there.
Old 07-11-05, 03:56 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope the 4 disc director's cut still comes out.

I won't by the theaterical cut. It was ok, but there was just too much missing story there.
Old 07-11-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by yellowbedwetter
it made over $150m internationally though so it wasn't a complete bomb with $200m+ worldwide. hopefully that's incentive enough for Fox to continue with a 4-disc DC release.
Old 07-11-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did anyone think that this would've been outgrossed by "Crash" in the US? $50 mil for "Crash", $46 mil for this.
Old 07-11-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
To be fair, it did just inch it's way past the 47mill mark. Woohoo!
Old 07-12-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I contributed to that measly $46 mill. Considering all the negative reviews it was better than I expected it to be.
Old 07-12-05, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I hope the 4 disc director's cut still comes out.

I won't by the theaterical cut. It was ok, but there was just too much missing story there.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 07-12-05, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have not seen this yet, so I will just wait for the Director's Cut.
Old 07-12-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will definitely be getting this on 10/11. It was pretty entertaining. Yay.
Old 07-12-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was an entertaining movie, but as has been stated, it felt like it was missing a lot of story. True, I was somewhat grateful not to have to sit in the theater for four hours, but hopefully the extended cut comes to fruition. I liked this movie, but not enough to buy it in its current form. Even if they had never announced a potential extended cut, I still wouldn't buy it like this.
Old 07-12-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I contributed to that measly $46 mill. Considering all the negative reviews it was better than I expected it to be.
I thought it was pretty damn good. But I still want to see this extended cut there was so much talk about.
Old 07-12-05, 12:52 PM

I would like to see an extended cut of this movie, but my gut feeling is that we may never see it.
Old 07-12-05, 01:02 PM

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but it was obvious that certain story elements and scenes had been cut out, seemingly at the last minute. This is one movie that would benefit greatly from an extended cut, and I hope gets released at some point.

Chances are that I'll end up picking this one up and then dumping it off on a friend if the extended cut is every released (unless this first release will be worth keeping in addition to the extended cut as is the case with the initial Signature Series release of Gladiator and the upcoming extended release).
Old 07-12-05, 02:22 PM
Banned

I'm torn on what to do about this release. With this new 'branching' documentary thing they're planning on doing, it may be worth picking this version up, but if the DC has the same thing, then I'd definately wait for the the deluxe edition.
Old 07-23-05, 01:22 PM

Features:

Disc 1
Inside Look: Tristan & Isolde
The Pilgrim's Guide - A text commentary stream consisting of both production and historical notes, synchronous with film.

Disc 2
Interactive Production Grid - A simple to use navigation portal will ask viewers to choose the desired perspective and timeframe allowing them to tailor the "Making Of" material to their liking. There are no less than 16 different ways to experience The Grid. (approx 125 minutes)
A&E Movie Real: "Kingdom of Heaven"
The History Channel’s "History vs. Hollywood" "Kingdom of Heaven"
Production Featurette
Wardrobe Featurette
Orlando Bloom "The Adventure of a Lifetime" Trailers

Video:
Widescreen 2.35:1 Color (Anamorphic)

Audio:
ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
ENGLISH: DTS 5.1 [CC]
SPANISH: Dolby Digital Stereo
FRENCH: Dolby Digital Stereo

Subtitles:
English, Spanish, French

Release Date: 10-11-2005

Item Code: 2230640
UPC Code: 024543206408
Old 07-23-05, 08:15 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I'll be getting this on the release date, if a more extended cut comes out later on i'll just trade in the old one and get the extended cut.
Old 07-23-05, 09:51 PM
Banned

Sounds like I may do the same thing. Get this version and then when/if the extended cut comes later, do a double-dip and either keep this version or dump it depending on what features are or aren't carried over. I have a feeling this one's gonna be like the Gladiator deal we're running into in few weeks.
Old 07-24-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by catracho
Features:

Disc 1
Inside Look: Tristan & Isolde
The Pilgrim's Guide - A text commentary stream consisting of both production and historical notes, synchronous with film.

Disc 2
Interactive Production Grid - A simple to use navigation portal will ask viewers to choose the desired perspective and timeframe allowing them to tailor the "Making Of" material to their liking. There are no less than 16 different ways to experience The Grid. (approx 125 minutes)
A&E Movie Real: "Kingdom of Heaven"
The History Channel’s "History vs. Hollywood" "Kingdom of Heaven"
Production Featurette
Wardrobe Featurette
Orlando Bloom "The Adventure of a Lifetime" Trailers

Video:
Widescreen 2.35:1 Color (Anamorphic)

Audio:
ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]
ENGLISH: DTS 5.1 [CC]
SPANISH: Dolby Digital Stereo
FRENCH: Dolby Digital Stereo

Subtitles:
English, Spanish, French

Release Date: 10-11-2005

Item Code: 2230640
UPC Code: 024543206408
so this might mean that the 4DVD version is coming out. Seems odd that there's no commentary on this one. Ridley always has great commentaries on his dvd's.
Old 07-24-05, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With dts! Definite double dip for me for KOH.
Old 07-25-05, 10:17 PM

From thedigitalbits.com
We've gotten official word from 20th Century Fox that Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven will street on 10/11, we as predicted in The Rumor Mill a few weeks ago. The 2-disc set (SRP $29.98) will include the film in anamorphic widescreen video (a separate full frame version will also be available), along with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras will include an "interactive production grid" that lets you experience the production process from the perspective of the director, the cast or the crew. Also included will be a text commentary with historical and production notes, several behind-the-scenes featurettes and more (additional features are TBA). The following information isn't official, but industry sources have informed us that a more elaborate 4-disc DVD release MAY follow in 2006, likely featuring an extended version of the film which was extensively cut for its initial theatrical release. Take that as Rumor Mill worthy until we tell you otherwise. We expect to have cover art and additional details on the 2-disc release in the next few weeks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.