DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   "Batman SE" or "Batman Begins" first for a newbie (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/441774-batman-se-batman-begins-first-newbie.html)

Cameron 10-18-05 10:34 AM

No way. I watched the batman reruns in the 80's and loved it. As an adult I enjoy it on an entirely diffrent level. Greatest batmobile ever

cactusoly 10-18-05 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Greatest batmobile ever

I'll give you that one.

JLB 10-18-05 01:39 PM

Everyone who posted in this thread.....give yourselves a big pat on the shoulder!

Why.....

For not taking advantage of the obvious opportunity to turn this into a "which order to watch Star Wars" thread.....

Admiral7 10-18-05 02:40 PM

Episode IV
Episode V
Episode VI
Episode I
Episode II
Episode III

This is the correct and ONLY order, despite what George says.

NitroJMS 10-18-05 07:03 PM

No way. I watched the batman reruns in the 80's and loved it. As an adult I enjoy it on an entirely diffrent level. Greatest batmobile ever

:thumbsup:

I loved watching the 60's series when I was a little kid in the 80's. My mom loved that I watched a show that was pretty much clean and only had completely over the top and cartoony violence. The show always caught me too due to the cliffhangers, so I absolutely had to watch the whole hour. I don't see how a child of about 4-8 couldn't like that show. I do admit that I was shocked in 1989 at age 8 by the much darker Burton Batman, but I grew to love both. People forget that the Batman comic of the 60's was almost equally as campy as the TV series.

Legolas 10-18-05 07:27 PM

Watching Star Wars from I-VI kills the surprises regarding Yoda and Vader.

Nesbit 10-18-05 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Admiral7
Episode IV
Episode V
Episode VI
Episode I
Episode II
Episode III

This is the correct and ONLY order, despite what George says.

Uhmm
Episode IV
Episode I
Episode II
Episode V
Episode III
Episode VI

Egon's Ghost 10-19-05 04:19 AM

What the hell:
Star Wars (none of this "Episode IV" crap)
Empire
Jedi

And that is that.

Fincher Fan 10-19-05 05:50 AM

Batman Begins because it leads straight into the Keaton/Nicholson sequel.

flyboy 10-19-05 01:21 PM

Hmmm.....I guess since this thread is now totally wheels off I will chime in with my 2 cents.

I would show him the Batman series of the 60's! It was wonderful as a child no matter how silly.

.....Then....

Batman and Batman Returns! All the rest are pure garbage.

Ok now on to the derailment.

I wont even go into the Star Wars films....other than to say, the newer ones are just average.

Admiral7 10-19-05 01:59 PM

Mrs. Nesbit, the Star Wars portion of the thread had to do with what order in which to watch the films. Are you serious about your list??? Episode IV and then I and II, back to 5, then III and then VI. That's just perverse. LOL!!!

Anyway, the campy flavor of the '60s comic book was intended to reflect the style of the TV show and is every bit of an abomination as the show was and is. The only three Batman movies even worth mentioning are "Batman" (1989), "Batman Returns" and "Batman Begins." And anyone who would include Batman Begins in with the list of others as "pure garbage" . . . well, I just don't know what to say to that person (flyboy), especially if they actually RECOMMEND the 1960s Batman, but dismiss "Begins" . . . WTF???

JiM T 10-19-05 03:08 PM

Try some comics.

For all the "Adam West is an abomination" sayers, I suggest you look at the comic book source material that preceded that TV series. The Batman of the late 1960s may've been comically straight-faced and camp, but it's really nothing compared to the downright wacky and nutty Batman comics of the 1950s.

Part of the beauty and wonder of Batman is that he works so well in so many very different incarnation over the decades. And each incarnation is legitimate in its own way.

That said, preferences are fine - but why hurl such accusations as "abomination"? It's not true.

For Batman on DVD, the 1990s animated series is as good as it gets.

JiM T

riley_dude 10-19-05 05:08 PM

I dont think I would have shown her Episodes 1,2 and 3 unless she was being punished.

You gotta show her Batman the series (if you can find it). Sure it's not what Batman is suppose to be like but I grew up with it and I loved it as a kid.

As far as the Batman movies, show her Batman with Keaton and Batman Begins.

cactusoly 10-19-05 07:40 PM

:crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

ianholm 10-19-05 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I dont think I would have shown her Episodes 1,2 and 3 unless she was being punished.

rotfl

Nesbit 10-19-05 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Admiral7
Mrs. Nesbit, the Star Wars portion of the thread had to do with what order in which to watch the films. Are you serious about your list??? Episode IV and then I and II, back to 5, then III and then VI. That's just perverse. LOL!!!

Actually it's how I'm going to show it to my kid for the first time.
Episode IV - Introduction to the series and the OT characters
Episode I + II - Get to meet Luke's parents and see the beginnings of the clone wars that Obi Wan talks about in A New Hope.
Episode V - Ends with the revelation on who Vader is
Episode III - Find out how that happened
Episode VI - Wrap it all up

BTW I was originally joking about placing this in the thread so no threadcrap intended. Now I'm just explaining myself.

cerial442 10-20-05 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Batman Begins because it leads straight into the Keaton/Nicholson sequel.

Batman Begins isn't a prequel to the Burton films. They restarted the franchise. Batman Begins is the first in a new series.

Egon's Ghost 10-20-05 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by cerial442
Batman Begins isn't a prequel to the Burton films. They restarted the franchise. Batman Begins is the first in a new series.

Is there really truth to this? I've read they did that to lead into and pay homage to the Burton film.

Doughboy 10-20-05 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
Is there really truth to this? I've read they did that to lead into and pay homage to the Burton film.

Considering Joe Chill kills Bruce Wayne's parents in Batman Begins and Jack Napier is responsible in Tim Burton's Batman, I'd say it's a safe bet the two films are in their own separate universes.

cerial442 10-20-05 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost

Yes there is. The next Batman movie will have the Joker in it. That is also why Batman Begins wasn't in the set with the other Batman movies.

coli 10-20-05 02:46 PM

Though the TV series is cheesy when you get older, you can still watch the one's with Batgirl in them. :eyebrow:

Mondo Kane 10-20-05 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by coli

Though the TV series is cheesy when you get older, you can still watch the one's with Batgirl in them. :eyebrow:

Julie Newmar for me!

-other-

riley_dude 10-20-05 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
Actually it's how I'm going to show it to my kid for the first time.
Episode IV - Introduction to the series and the OT characters
Episode I + II - Get to meet Luke's parents and see the beginnings of the clone wars that Obi Wan talks about in A New Hope.
Episode V - Ends with the revelation on who Vader is
Episode III - Find out how that happened
Episode VI - Wrap it all up

BTW I was originally joking about placing this in the thread so no threadcrap intended. Now I'm just explaining myself.

No offense but that is the weirdest order ever.

Cameron 10-20-05 07:08 PM

Mssss... Kitka

flyboy 10-22-05 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by cerial442

Then its off to a lousy start......