Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk Draft Game (2nd Edition)…The Grand Finale!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Who has the better collection?
jfrost
42.22%
Cleaver
57.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

DVDTalk Draft Game (2nd Edition)…The Grand Finale!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Very close call. Wish I could vote for both but I'd have to go with Cleaver by a hair.
Old 10-14-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even tho the Star Wars Trilogy isn't the Original Trilogy,I prefer Star Wars Trilogy to Lord of the Rings anyday(I like the LOTRs,but Star Wars is and will always be #1)
jfrost is my pick.
Old 10-15-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gotta go with Cleaver, but DAMN that was hard.
Old 10-15-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on people... show me some love
Old 10-15-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jfrost
Old 10-17-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get your last minute votes in
Old 10-17-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After watching jfrost win the inaugeral DVD Draft I realized that special features were key, because while we're all movie buffs here, there are certain DVDs that are more memorable than the movie. The slick packaging and presentation of Fight Club, for example, add to the experience of a strong movie. I don't personally know anyone who thinks Panic Room or Phantom Menace are strong movies, but all of us have them or are at least waiting for a bargain on them. I think every DVD I drafted is a must own, although I confess I only have the CE of 12 Monkeys. My favorite DVD commentary is Ebert on Citizen Kane (my 2nd favorite is jfrost's Delta Force from BHD) and my favorite DVD doc is Hamster Factor from 12 Monkeys (my 2nd favorite is jfrost's Jaws doc) and if there is anyone out there who's never listened to a commentary or watched a special feature I urge them to check those out.

Thanks to all that voted.
Old 10-17-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Congrats to Cleaver who won with a great collection. He will be receiving a copy of The Fly CE for his efforts.

I have some ideas for a 3rd edition which I can run or turn the reigns over to a new commisioner. I think we are all all a little drafted-out, so I would think the next edition will start in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to everyone who participated and to those who voted.
Old 10-17-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that a little breather is in order until the next draft. What I thought might be a good idea is to have a genre draft. Pick a genre for each round and everybody would have to make a pick in that genre. This way, everyone would have to have a more diverse collection instead of just loading up on one or two genres. What do you think?
Old 10-17-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Another rule change I favor:

Once a movie title is picked, it can only be picked once--it cannot be picked in any other incarnation--such as one person picking it in a box set would prevent another player from picking it as a stand-alone title.

As it stands now, one person can choose LOTR for the original version, another person for the extended version, another person for the box set with the original versions, another person for the box set with the extended versions, another person for the box set with extended versions and the plastic figurine, etc. As a matter of fact, I'd like to see box sets disallowed altogether from the competition and force people to focus on individual titles. (If this is supposed to be like a baseball draft, you have ten solid players/picks--not one title which has six other movies contained within it.)

Just my thoughts.
Old 10-17-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, I agree that there should be a no box set rule. However, I think people should be able to take individual titles from boxsets (i.e. someone could just pick Raiders of the Lost Ark or Back to the Future Part II)
Old 10-17-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like these ideas. I think the genre competition along side the no box set rule would be great.

How does next monday sound for a start date? Too soon?
Old 10-17-05, 03:11 PM

I'll still participate, but I think an extra week from next monday might benefit the turnout and spectator interest. But whatever, doesn't make too much of a difference.
Old 10-17-05, 03:22 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by jfrost
I like these ideas. I think the genre competition along side the no box set rule would be great.

How does next monday sound for a start date? Too soon?
The genre per round sounds like a cool idea. How will the genres be selected? And will they all be decided from the beginning? Should make for some even more exciting 10 AM on-the-dot postings.
Old 10-17-05, 03:31 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ryuryu2949
Yea, I agree that there should be a no box set rule. However, I think people should be able to take individual titles from boxsets (i.e. someone could just pick Raiders of the Lost Ark or Back to the Future Part II)
Yeah, I like that idea, also. Gives people a chance to pick "Raiders..." or "Star Wars IV..." because they've never been released separately.

I'd vote for at least another week off--time to discuss all the genres and how they'll be divided (i.e. Horror or Horror & Suspense or Horror & Mystery or Mystery & Suspense, etc.)
Old 10-17-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, I think the limitation on Criterion picks worked out well.
Old 10-17-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I volunteer to run it, to continue the mini-tradition of the winner running the following draft. I don't like the no box set rule, since the bonus discs for Indiana Jones, The Godfather, Star Wars, et al wouldn't be in play. Also what genre a movie would be might be blurred. Like is LOTR adventure, fantasy, sci-fi, or what. Comedies are impossible to define. I would suggest assigning requirements to rounds Friday; say: round 1 = box sets, round 2 = best picture winners, round 3 = foriegn films, round 4 = American minority directors, round 5 = animated, round 7 = biography, round 8 = prior to revocation of Hayes code, round 9 = comic book movies, round 10 = TV box sets.
Old 10-17-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe after this next round, we could have a "worst" collection. With limitations like, Only one Uwe Boll movie per collection. Could be a nice change of pace.
Old 10-17-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lol, how about a genre round just for the bonus disk of a release or boxset??

I really have no problem with blurring genres; most examples would be pretty clear. For instancem, LOTR would be adventure, fantasy, action, but not really sci-fi. The comish could have final word after input from the participants. You could have the draft like this:

Round 1: Criterion; Round 2: Box Set; Round 3: Foreign language (non-criterion); Round 4: Comedy; Round 5: Black and White; Round 6: "Set in the future"; Round 7: Animated; Round 8: Tv pick; Round 9: Free for all action/adventure/drama/war-western; Round 10: Anything goes (no tv, box sets or Criterion).
Old 10-17-05, 04:19 PM

On the TV pick, have where you pick
1 TV series &
1 Mini series or made for TV movie

Example:
Tv series "24"
TV movie "Angels in America"