Reload this Page >

Dragonball Z Uncut Edition dvd question

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-11-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering if funimation was going to re-release the rest of the series once they finish re-releasing seasons 1 & 2? If they do, a format they should release them in should be like what they did with the original Dragonball by putting 10 or so episodes on 2-disk sets and selling them for $35-$40.00 because i really don't like paying $25.00 for only 3 or 4 episodes.
Old 10-11-05, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rest of the series has already been released uncut, so there's no reason for them to rerelease them. Most of the available dvds have had price drops recently, so you can pick them up for around $10 each.
Old 10-11-05, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And (just about) every DBZ saga has a box set available... so there's no need to pick up each volume one by one.
Old 10-11-05, 07:16 AM
Defunct Account

Yep, what they said. The rest are already uncut, and you can get a good deal on the boxed sets. That's the way I obtained my collection.
Old 10-11-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Screw Z.. where's my re-release of season 1 of DragonBall?
Old 10-11-05, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Screw Z.. where's my re-release of season 1 of DragonBall?
In case you're not aware, it's already available in R4 if that's an option for you.
Old 10-11-05, 09:43 AM

Kidmark is being a douchebag about relinquishing the rights to the first 13 eps. of DB. Although I swear I heard, like 3 years ago, that their rights expired in 2006.
Old 10-11-05, 09:54 AM

I believe ignition is correct about the rights expiring. You just have to get up to the Ginyu saga in these new releases. Everything else was released in two formats (uncut & cut).
Old 10-11-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ignition
Kidmark is being a douchebag about relinquishing the rights to the first 13 eps. of DB. Although I swear I heard, like 3 years ago, that their rights expired in 2006.
Damn.. does anybody have a solid date on this? Those 13 episodes are probably my favorite.. I have the current set but I'd like the uncut/new dub set to match the rest of my DB stuff. Hopefully Funimation has the set ready to drop as soon as they can, I'm sick of waiting!!
Old 10-11-05, 03:09 PM

Well, yes Pixy, Funimation does have them printed and ready to go at the drop of a hat... I mean, they've released what will be the exact same thing in R4 a while back. The packaging is the exact same as every other R1 release.

There is no real date because I'm guessing no one knows besides some guy at Kidmark and I'm sure they'll just keep renewing the license because Funimation's too cheap to shell out the bucks for 13 episodes.

On a better note, we can look forward to have Dragonball movies 2-4 being released in a box set. I believe that includes the ever-awaited Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle finally on DVD, Mystical Adventure and then the 10th Anniversary Movie. The latter two are already out of DVD, but can be a bit hard to find.

So essentially, in a matter of a year we will have the entirety of DBZ, DBGT, and all but 13 episodes and the first DB movie Curse of the Blood Rubies out on DVD.

Personally, I've collected all of DB (sans that first set, of course), all but the Fusion, Majin Buu and re-release of Namek saga of DBZ, and all of DBGT.

Oh, and not the last 2 DBZ movies of course, either.
Old 10-11-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my main problem with getting the dvds is the shelf space. i kinda just don't want 1/3 of my shelfs filled with dbz dvds. i wish funimation put more than 3 episodes on per disc. 6 episodes would've been better. maybe the dragonball series should've been bought by another company like bandai or adv, they seem to handle their dvds pretty well. (of course adv didn't do a very good job at putting the gantz dvds out)
Old 10-12-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, of all the various other region discs I've been teased with over the years.. this is the first time I've actually thought "Now is the time to go region free." Quite odd considering that I'm more of a passing Dragon Ball fan (though, 10-12 years ago I was obsessed!).
Old 11-09-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it's almost been a month without any replies. I guess this thread's just about done.
Old 11-10-05, 06:43 AM
Defunct Account

Since this thread has been bumped, I'll throw in my $0.02 worth. I think FUNimation has done a great job with the series. Remember the horrid job Geneon (Pioneer at the time) did with the original releases? Dub only, edited versions. When FUNimation put them out they did it right. Yeah, 6 episodes per disc would be nice, but it's also totally unrealistic. There isn't any other anime series of any length that I can think of that has been released in that format. In fact there are a lot of series that are released in the 3 eps/disc format that retail for $30 instead of the $25 that current DBZ releases are going for. The boxed sets containing complete stories are a good deal too.

The fact that FUNimation went back are re-did the Pioneer releases is good too. There are many companies that wouldn't have taken the risk. DBZ isn't something that a lot of people are going to double-dip on.

Overall I'm very happy with the way FUNimation has handled the franchise.
Old 11-10-05, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by videophile
Remember the horrid job Geneon (Pioneer at the time) did with the original releases? Dub only, edited versions.
Well, yes, because that's what FUNimation gave them to put out on DVD. I hardly think Geneon can be blamed for that.

Yeah, 6 episodes per disc would be nice, but it's also totally unrealistic. There isn't any other anime series of any length that I can think of that has been released in that format.
Sailor Moon.

The fact that FUNimation went back are re-did the Pioneer releases is good too. There are many companies that wouldn't have taken the risk. DBZ isn't something that a lot of people are going to double-dip on.
... Eh?

It's Dragon Ball Z, the single most popular anime property in the US. And these episodes haven't been released uncut before. It's a license to print money, which is why they're taking the liberty of releasing it at 3 episodes per disc.
Old 11-10-05, 09:55 AM

My only qualm is that they released Dragonball in 15 episode, 2-disc releases. I was actually expecting them to do the same with the new, "Ultimate Uncut" DVDs.

Oh, in further news, expect the remaining two DBZ films to be released next year. Movie 12, Fusion Reborn will hit stores in Spring 2006, and I'm assuming 13 will hit in August.

Oh, and for anyone who bought all the releases before FUNimation decided to release those box sets (even though they're cheap cardboard), www.zstore.com is selling the cardboard boxes for $2.50. S&H is a bitch at $7, but I bought the remaining three I needed. I guess just for posterity's sake...
Old 11-10-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ignition
My only qualm is that they released Dragonball in 15 episode, 2-disc releases. I was actually expecting them to do the same with the new, "Ultimate Uncut" DVDs.
I'm kinda ticked about that too. It's funny they didn't release Dragonball the same way they released DBZ with 3-4 episodes per disc. Maybe Funimation was in a hurry to get it out of the way. I still think that Funimation might re-release the rest of the series in thinpack sets. Although I have been wrong before.