Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why can't Saturday Night Live ever be released as a season set?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minus the muisc, is there a reason it can't be? I understand that it may take too long to do EVERY season, but at least the first 5 seasons. I would buy it in a heartbeat. Everytime i watch my Best Of dvds, I can only imagine the hidden gems i never seen before. So any chance....ever...? Any inside info? I'm grasping for straws here..lol
Old 10-09-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably still the cost. Not only is there the issue with music licensing, there's the guest hosts and the cast as well. I'm sure when the contracts were signed (especially for the first 5-10 years), home video releases were never taken into account, so a whole new contract would have to be negotiated with the surviving talent and the estates of those that have died.
Old 10-09-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
I remember complete shows from the first 5 seasons being released on VHS about 10-12 years ago. A lot of them, if I remember correctly.
Old 10-09-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would love it too, but damn there are too many seasons.
Old 10-09-05, 01:03 PM

How about if we all agree we can do without the 1980-81 season (Charles Rocket, Denny Dillon, etc.) and the 1994-95 season (Janeane Garofalo, Chris Elliott). Would that help?

Also willing to pass on the 1985-86 season (Randy Quaid, Joan Cusack)*,

CS

* Of course, this is the first season of the Lorne Michaels Renaissance, being the introduction of Jon Lovitz, Nora Dunn, and Dennis Miller, which would pave the way for the likes of Hartman, Carvey, etc.
Old 10-09-05, 03:29 PM
Banned

I don't understand this. How is it that if your paid for a performance and then the person that owns the show has to pay you again because they are going to put it on a video?
Why stop there? Why not pay everybody like the lighting,camera guy too.
Old 10-09-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Why stop there? Why not pay everybody like the lighting,camera guy too.
Because typicaly the lighting and camera people are fulltime employees of the network/production company, whereas the "talent" are technically contract employees, or "independent contractors."
Old 10-09-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The music during the live performances isn't the only music they'd need to clear for DVD. They'd also need to clear the multitude of songs they use within the sketches.

DJ
Old 10-09-05, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because it's what we would want and I blame Christopher Walken for that...
Old 10-09-05, 09:32 PM
Banned

I weould never by the first few seasons with Steve Martin, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd,Jane Curtain, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray ect ect, They suked. But after most of those dumm guys left it got bettr. Thats not to say their were not good seasons, but the first 4 or 5 were definetely the worsted and probably the only ones I would not by.
Old 10-10-05, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now that's funny. Now we know what it looks like when a chimpanzee tries to type a post.
Old 10-10-05, 09:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BasiaMille
How about if we all agree we can do without the 1980-81 season (Charles Rocket, Denny Dillon, etc.) and the 1994-95 season (Janeane Garofalo, Chris Elliott). Would that help?

Also willing to pass on the 1985-86 season (Randy Quaid, Joan Cusack)*,
I'd have no problem with those seasons being released last, but I'd still want them. There are some gems in the Chris Elliott season, a nugget here and there in the initial Jon Lovitz season, and the 80-81 season was pretty short.
Old 10-10-05, 02:37 PM

I had a lot of the Time Life videos of the Best of SNL and honestly, if this was all they could get out of each season of 90 minute shows, I'm not sure that I would want entire seasons. I definitely second people's opinion on those seasons from the mid 80s. Other than Eddie Murphy, there's really not much there. Although there seem to be sketches they never ever show. Wasn't there something called the Butt Family? They never show them. Perhaps extended best ofs would be better. There would be a lot less time wasted.
Old 10-11-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ARCHER smoke
I weould never by the first few seasons with Steve Martin, John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd,Jane Curtain, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray ect ect, They suked. But after most of those dumm guys left it got bettr. Thats not to say their were not good seasons, but the first 4 or 5 were definetely the worsted and probably the only ones I would not by.
Wow.