Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: Bueller Bueller Edition ----1/10/06

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I had the original DVD before and it was one of the few I didn't bother to replace when my DVDs were stolen. So getting the new one is a no brainer.

I probably would have passed on it if I still had the old one.
Old 01-13-06, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly, as someone who ALWAYS trades up, I watched most of the extras and they're very much not worth it. Very very thin. Also, the transfer ain't all that hot from what I saw.
Old 01-13-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Paramount always dissappoints with extras. They have far fewer true special editions than any of the other major studios, and they constantly do these double-dips where the gains are mimimal. Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Airplane? Those should have been no-brainers for proper 2-Disc special editions. Oh well, it could be worse. At least they don't have Universal's quality control problems.
Old 07-04-11, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Ferris Bueller's Day Off: Bueller Bueller Edition ----1/10/06

August 2, 2011 will mark the 25th anniversary of the film, and Wikipedia says a new edition for the film will be released. Here's to hoping it becomes "the definitive DVD" for this movie.
Old 07-04-11, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the link that Wikipedia got if from:

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/117/1173679p1.html

Seems pretty lackluster, still missing the Hughes commentary, could use a new commentary from some of the cast (like on Breakfast Club) and it would have been nice to see a nice long documentary like on BC, Sixteen Candles & Weird Science. Seems like a waste of a release.
Old 07-05-11, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
August 2, 2011 will mark the 25th anniversary of the film, and Wikipedia says a new edition for the film will be released. Here's to hoping it becomes "the definitive DVD" for this movie.
Originally Posted by The Monkees
Here's the link that Wikipedia got if from:

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/117/1173679p1.html

Seems pretty lackluster, still missing the Hughes commentary, could use a new commentary from some of the cast (like on Breakfast Club) and it would have been nice to see a nice long documentary like on BC, Sixteen Candles & Weird Science. Seems like a waste of a release.
Ugh. After reading that link, I think I can safely say that it's the EXACT SAME Blu-Ray that they already released.

Ferris Bueller is one of my all-time favorite films (not to mention second to The Breakfast Club for my favorite John Hughes film). However, I will not rebuy this just for different artwork. Paramount really dropped the ball by not attempting to do this film justice for it's 25th anniversary (I mean hell, at least port over the commentary track from the first release!!).
Old 07-05-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Goddamn it. I've been holding off and holding off on buying this, waiting for them to release something with great extras. Alas, I will hold off no more and will just buy "Bueller-Bueller-Bueller." F the 25th anniversary. Thanks for nuthin'.
Old 07-05-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Jeez, I was kinda hoping they would include some sort of John Hughes retrospecive with the new edition. I'm real glad I picked up a copy of the older bluray for $4 at Blockbuster in May.
Old 07-05-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It is definitely the same identical release. They did the same with Top Gun.

And, as it's been mentioned before, do not expect the Hughes commentary to show up on any future releases because it was explicitly removed from the Bueller...Bueller... Edition at Hughes' request. Just buy the "I Love the '80s" DVD if you want it, it's a pretty good track.
Old 07-06-11, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
And, as it's been mentioned before, do not expect the Hughes commentary to show up on any future releases because it was explicitly removed from the Bueller...Bueller... Edition at Hughes' request. Just buy the "I Love the '80s" DVD if you want it, it's a pretty good track.
I didn't know it was still available at all. I'll have to see if I can find that!
Old 07-06-11, 02:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing about the blu-ray is that it doesn't have the John Hughes commentary. I love his movies ; Breakfast Club, Home Alone, Sixteen Candles, etc. But he was terribly boring man to listen to. I didn't think anyone could be worse than Tim Burton at commentaries, but boy, was I wrong. I specifically skipped the blu-ray to get the I Love The 80s edition because of the commentary. I guess I can always get the blu-ray, right ?
Old 07-06-11, 05:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shizawn
I had the original DVD before and it was one of the few I didn't bother to replace when my DVDs were stolen. So getting the new one is a no brainer.

I probably would have passed on it if I still had the old one.
Your dvds were stolen ? That sucks.
Old 07-06-11, 11:56 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
The best thing about the blu-ray is that it doesn't have the John Hughes commentary. I love his movies ; Breakfast Club, Home Alone, Sixteen Candles, etc. But he was terribly boring man to listen to. I didn't think anyone could be worse than Tim Burton at commentaries, but boy, was I wrong. I specifically skipped the blu-ray to get the I Love The 80s edition because of the commentary. I guess I can always get the blu-ray, right ?
Don't agree with this statement at all. The track is full of information and very interesting with it being the only statement Hughes has made on his films after he left Hollywood. One of my favorite commentaries ever.
Old 07-08-11, 02:20 AM
Banned

I agree that there was a lot of information, but that doesn't mean it was a good commentary. A good commentary should have more than just information about the movie. The best ones have stories about what happened behind the scenes. For instance, the commentary for A Knight's Tale is really funny. The majority of the Doctor Who commentaries, while being filled with information, are really funny, too. I find that the best commentaries are those with two or more people. I think that's why Tim Burton's commentary, with the exception of Sleepy Hollow, suck hard. With no one to play off of, the commentator can just ramble on about things that no one really cares about. But when there are a group of people doing a commentary, they can throw jokes off of each other. Wether you like Stan Helsing or not, it has one of the funniest commentaries that I've ever heard. A commentary without funny stories from the cast, information filled as they may be, are just boring. Because with one person, they may forget something about the movie that, had another person been there, they might have remembered.
Old 07-08-11, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Case in point of a "good commentary" was on two episodes of the first season of The Brady Bunch. I think it was Greg, Peter, and Cindy doing the commentary, and man! they were ranking the show to the dogs and back, but all in good fun! Guess that's why Paramount didn't have any more "commentaries" for future seasons. But I was laughing very hard.

But some commentaries are annoying - it's almost like someone is talking through the entire length of the movie, uninvited! Of course, you yourself invited this person, so you shouldn't be annoyed - yet you are!
Old 07-08-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Oh I know it can still be found. I have the old DVD with the commentary myself (and I did enjoy the commentary, although I can see why I'd be in the minority on that).

It just bothers me that we STILL can't get "definitive" releases of various films for whatever reason, whether it's multiple releases like with LOTR, or various extras just not being ported over.
Old 07-11-11, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Paramount. Same problem with Howard Stern's movie, too.
Old 07-19-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I didn't know Ferris Bueller was responsible for the deaths of two women in Ireland. Apparently, he was vacationing there with his sister Jean Bueller, and Ferris swerved into the wrong lane, and crashed head-on with another car, killing the mother and daughter instantly.

Ferris, naturally, got slapped with a $175.00 fine. The victim's family called it an injustice. But hey, that's Ferris Bueller! You didn't think he'd actually go to jail or something!