DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. It's "The October [Horror] Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/439714-100-movies-31-days-its-october-%5Bhorror%5D-movie-challenge-10-1-10-31-a.html)

Mondo Kane 10-13-05 03:30 AM

Oct. 12th:

32.Friday The 13th-Part III (w/ commentary)
33.The Serpent and The Rainbow
34.Child's Play
35.Screaming Dead
36.Necronomicon: Book of Dead

Cameron 10-13-05 03:34 AM

you know you could just hook up two tvs and watch two movies at once....you could get a good thirty hours of watchtime in a day ;)

The Reaper 10-13-05 07:24 AM

Oct. 12

25. Trick Or Treat

exharrison 10-13-05 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
you know you could just hook up two tvs and watch two movies at once....you could get a good thirty hours of watchtime in a day ;)

I've thought about that. If mike did it he could get like 40 hours of watchtime.
Come to think of it, my tv, computer and laptop are all in the same room with dvd players.....

OldBoy 10-13-05 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
this thread is so entertaining because it makes me want to only see horror movies this month. i have watched more DVD's this month than in months previous combined and the ones i have seen i enjoyed the hell out of.

Recap:
1. "The Fly" CE (10/2-10/3)
2. "The Evil Dead II" Book of the Dead Edition (10/3-start, 10/5-finish)
3. "Oldboy"...not sure if quite in the horror genre, but (10/9-10/10)
4. "Switchblade Romance"aka"Haute Tension" Uncut, UK edition
(10/11)
5. "Undead"...very good Aussie zombie pic. they say it is low budget, but you'll never be able to tell...never! (10/11-10/12)

6. "Dog Soldiers"...really surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. very good movie!! (10/12)
7. "Clive Barker's Nightbreed" (10/13)

OldBoy 10-13-05 12:29 PM

what exactly constitutes a "horror" movie? some of the ones mentioned, including mine of "Oldboy", i am having a hard time categorizing as "horror". some others include "Panic Room", "Single White Female", "Dead Ringers"...wouldn't these be more in line with "thrillers/suspense dramas"?

Scott Weinberg 10-13-05 12:41 PM

Since my last update:

15. Single White Female 2: The Psycho (2005)
16. Dragonhead (2003)
17. One Missed Call (2003)
18. American Psycho (2000)
19. Wrong Turn (2003)
20. The House Where Evil Dwells (1982)
21. The Fog (1980)
22. Evil Dead Trap 2 (1991)

I'm going to spend most of this weekend on the horror stuff, so expect my list to expand ... to 30. Maybe.

Mr. Cinema 10-13-05 02:07 PM

what exactly constitutes a "horror" movie? some of the ones mentioned, including mine of "Oldboy", i am having a hard time categorizing as "horror". some others include "Panic Room", "Single White Female", "Dead Ringers"...wouldn't these be more in line with "thrillers/suspense dramas"?

I would put those in that category. There are plenty that can be put in 2 or more categories. I would consider The Thing horror, but it could also be sci-fi. Same with Predator, it could action/sci-fi/horror. Jaws, etc.

To me, if it has a monster in it, it can be horror, with the exception of big monsters like Godzilla. I would put The Shining in horror because of Jack's character, but I would put Seven in the thriller category, even though its "evil" character shares some traits with Jack's from Shining. Labeling a movie as part of the horror genre is difficult.

Julie Walker 10-13-05 03:19 PM

Last night I viewed High Tension: unrated. So that is 6 titles so far this month.

I have three weekdays next week with no work at all,and only a couple afternoon classes. So I'll have alot of free time to cram as many films as possible between Tues-Thursday. I am trying to figure out what to watch and how many I could.

I could either watch a bunch of random films I have'nt seen or watched in years. Or could follow some themes,like psychological,slasher,zombie and so forth.

Oh and I would say Seven could count as a horror film. It's grim enough,disturbing enough,and very psychological on the darkest reaches of the human mind. That it's horror material enough of the all to real kind. Speaking of which,I should watch that sometime in my viewing. Since it has been a few years since I last saw it:)

kornboy 10-13-05 04:47 PM

I know I am starting in late, but heres mine so far..

1. Blade Trinity (Netflix)
2. Scream 3 (TBS Channel)
3. Night Of The Living Dead: Necropolis (Sci-Fi Channel)
4. Creepshow (Netflix)
5. Christine (Netflix)
6. Zombi 2 (Zombie) (Netflix)
7. Psycho (1998) (Starz In Demand)
8. Night Of The Zombies (Hell Of The Living Dead) (Netflix)
9. Wrong Turn (Cinemax In Demand)
10. Ginger Snaps (IFC Channel)
11. Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed (IFC Channel)
12. Freddy Vs. Jason (Starz In Demand)

alfonsosoriano 10-13-05 05:00 PM

1. House by the Cemetery
2. Dead Heat
3. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
4. Hell of the Living Dead
5. City of the Living Dead
6. Nightmare City
7. House
8. House II
9. Hellraiser
10. Suspiria: LE
11. Zombi 3
12. Zombie 4: After Death
13. Zombie 5: Killing Birds
14. Evil Dead
15. Evil Dead II
16. Dawn of the Dead (remake)
17. Night of the Living Dead

Quake1028 10-13-05 05:29 PM

Next year we should just call this the Scary Movie Challenge, then everyone can feel free to add thrillers/suspense films to the horror films.

OldBoy 10-13-05 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by mikewendt
I have a "Does It Count?" question...

Dream of the Dead: The Making of George A. Romero's Land of the Dead is showing on IFC tonight (I'm DVRing it). 30 mins. long, should it count???

Majority will rule on this one...

so is this on the upcoming "Land of the Dead" release?

mikewendt 10-13-05 06:54 PM

so is this on the upcoming "Land of the Dead" release?

I think it's a IFC exclusive, like the Reservior Dogs: Revisited special.

The doc. on the DVD is called Undead Again: The Making of 'Land Of The Dead'.

Mondo Kane 10-14-05 01:08 AM

Oct. 13th:

37.Friday The 13th-Part IV
38.Blacula
39.The Grudge
40.Strangeland
41.The Eye

Cameron 10-14-05 01:24 AM

Blacula...you are now my hero

Mountain Biker 10-14-05 01:49 AM

10/13
Girls Nite Out
Dark Night of the Scarecrow

Mondo Kane 10-14-05 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
Blacula...you are now my hero

BOO!
http://www.blaxploitation.com/images..._blacula_5.gif

steelpotato 10-14-05 02:34 AM

Weird, we both must have been watching Blacula around the same time on the 13th...cept I am in New Zealand :)

Spiderbite 10-14-05 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mountain Biker
10/13
Dark Night of the Scarecrow

This is a title that I would buy immediately if it will ever be released on dvd. One of the best & spookiest Made for TV movies ever!

Did you watch it from an old vhs or have you been able to find it some other way? My Dad used to have a copy that he taped off of TV way back but I did not know if it was ever oficially released on VHS or anything else. I would love to find a good copy of this movie.

OldBoy 10-14-05 06:18 PM

6. "Dog Soldiers"...really surprised at how much I enjoyed this one. very good movie!! (10/12)
7. "Clive Barker's Nightbreed" (10/13)

8. "The Thing"...the new SE looks amazing! (10/13)

Mountain Biker 10-15-05 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
This is a title that I would buy immediately if it will ever be released on dvd. One of the best & spookiest Made for TV movies ever!

Did you watch it from an old vhs or have you been able to find it some other way? My Dad used to have a copy that he taped off of TV way back but I did not know if it was ever oficially released on VHS or anything else. I would love to find a good copy of this movie.

Indeed, a highly underrated gem that still holds up to this day. Great atmosphere, creepy music, and convincing performances from Charles Durning and Larry Drake. It was officially released on video back in the mid 80's through Key Video. Since it's long oop, Ebay (where I got mine) is your best bet if your interested in picking up a copy...

10/14
Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th Part 2
Friday the 13th Part 3

Mondo Kane 10-15-05 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by steelpotato
Weird, we both must have been watching Blacula around the same time on the 13th...cept I am in New Zealand :)

Yeah, I watched mine on vhs.

Oct. 14th:

42.Friday The 13th-Part V
43.Pin
44.Gozu (w/ commentary)
45.Vampyr

The Reaper 10-15-05 09:31 AM

Finally found some free time...

Oct. 14

26. Quatermass 2
27. Hatchet For A Honeymoon
28. Donovan's Brain
29. The Ape Man
30. The Ape
31. The Man From Planet X

T.Bickle 10-15-05 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I would put those in that category. There are plenty that can be put in 2 or more categories. I would consider The Thing horror, but it could also be sci-fi. Same with Predator, it could action/sci-fi/horror. Jaws, etc.

To me, if it has a monster in it, it can be horror, with the exception of big monsters like Godzilla. I would put The Shining in horror because of Jack's character, but I would put Seven in the thriller category, even though its "evil" character shares some traits with Jack's from Shining. Labeling a movie as part of the horror genre is difficult.

That brings a lot of my list into question. I know that the thread title is horror movie challenge but I thought that we were also including related genres in our lists?

If we were to start debating what is and isn't horror or what should and shouldn't be listed a lot my list wouldn't count. I'm going to continue listing movies watched in the spirit of Halloween. BTW. IMDB includes a lot of the Godzilla movies in the horror genre.