Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Star Wars Trilogy 3-dvd Set

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Star Wars Original Trilogy 3-dvd Set

From dvdanswers (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...25&n=1&burl=):

Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment have released artwork for a limited edition Star Wars Trilogy set. The three-disc package will be available to own in both widescreen and full screen editions from the 6th December this year. Each should set you back around $49.98. As far as we know these will be the special editions only I'm afraid! Each film will carry a THX enhanced English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX track, along with an audio commentary for each film, and easterggs.
I can't understand the point of this release, if it is just the same as the previous box set, only with new art and sans the extras disc. Maybe we'll end up with as many versions of the original trilogy on dvd as there are versions of the Evil Dead trilogy!

Last edited by Toben; 09-27-05 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-27-05, 01:48 PM

Looks like the regular set without the bonus disc. Pointless. No sale here.
(Cool cover art though.)
Old 09-27-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm, what's the difference between the current release then? Besides box-art
Old 09-27-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
The big question here is have the audio problems with A NEW HOPE been corrected?
Old 09-27-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The big question here is have the audio problems with A NEW HOPE been corrected?
Ooooooh, that's a good question. Good luck convincing Ben Burtt it was even a problem to begin with.
Old 09-27-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm betting -- hoping -- that the audio issues will be quietly fixed in this release.
Old 09-27-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Were there audio problems on the first box set? I've had it sitting on my shelf forever and have never watched it.

Ehhh. I'll probably just trade it in sometime anyway.
Old 09-27-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it were the Non-Special Editions, I'd buy it.
Old 09-27-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Were there audio problems on the first box set? I've had it sitting on my shelf forever and have never watched it.
On Episode IV, the rear surrounds are reversed for the entire length of the film. Left is right, and right is left. Oddly (I think just to avoid a recall/replacement), everyone involved claims that this was intentional and not an error. And, yes, that answer smells like b.s. to pretty much everyone.

There's also a weird audio portion during the attack on the Death Star. In every previous video/laserdisc/theatrical release, there is a very bold, prominent "Force theme" on the soundtrack as the X-Wings do their initial dive. On these DVDs, the audio is muted to the point where the music is nearly inaudible. I also suspect this was an error -- it makes not sense to mute out the music at this point.
Old 09-27-05, 02:25 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They should start modeling their releases like the car industry. Each year they get a new year model with basically the same car with mostly cosmetic changes here and there.
Old 09-27-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
If it were the Non-Special Editions, I'd buy it.
Wow . . . it took a full 8 posts before we got one of these comments.

You guys are slacking . . .
Old 09-27-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why release this. I was expecting a box set for the episodes I-III instead we get a double dip just for a box.
Old 09-27-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why God, why?
Old 09-27-05, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
On Episode IV, the rear surrounds are reversed for the entire length of the film. Left is right, and right is left. Oddly (I think just to avoid a recall/replacement), everyone involved claims that this was intentional and not an error. And, yes, that answer smells like b.s. to pretty much everyone.
actually...it's not the audio channels that are flipped. It's just the score rear channels. no?

And count me as another that thinks there's got to be something different about this release. it just makes NO sense to release these without the bonus disc and have NO other difference.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 09-27-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-27-05, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
actually...it's not the audio channels that are flipped. It's just the score rear channels. no?

And count me as another that thinks there's got to be something different about this release. it just makes NO sense to release these without the bonus disc and have NO other difference.

I think you are right, it's just the score that's reversed.
Old 09-27-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't even know how you can determine whether the score comes out of the left or right rear channels, specifically how it would be incorrect compared to other releases. Does it dramatically affect the action on screen? Sound effects, I would understand. I'm baffled.
Old 09-27-05, 03:06 PM
Banned

Count me in as somebody who feels very strongly that there will be something exclusive to this set that will make some of us buy it.

I also wouldn't put it past them to sneak in the audio and saber coloring fixes that are needed rather than offering to swap out the disc from the existing box.

But just think of how many people will be doing that for themselves if that was to happen. Retailers better make sure they are getting back the actual new copies of those discs back with the cases.
Old 09-27-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by talemyn
Wow . . . it took a full 8 posts before we got one of these comments.

You guys are slacking . . .
It's not a knock against the Special Editions, I'm just saying that if they're going to re-release the Special Edition Trilogy sans the Bonus Disc and still charge an MSRP of $50, then I have no interest in it. Nor would I expect anyone else to in this forum. On the other hand, if it were the Non-SE's, that would be great.
Old 09-27-05, 03:20 PM

I called Fox way back when the audio issues were made public and was able to order a replacement disc - which came not too long afterwards, and it seemed fine to me.
Old 09-27-05, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by goatweed
I called Fox way back when the audio issues were made public and was able to order a replacement disc - which came not too long afterwards, and it seemed fine to me.
They didn't change the audio. They had a replacement for a problem towards the beginning of the film.
Old 09-27-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People bitch when Lucus didn't release it on DVD and now that a new set is being released once a year people still bitch.
Old 09-27-05, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
They didn't change the audio. They had a replacement for a problem towards the beginning of the film.
interesting, I guess I got confused. I recently watched it and didnt notice anything wrong, I'll have to check it again.
Old 09-27-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by goatweed
interesting, I guess I got confused. I recently watched it and didnt notice anything wrong, I'll have to check it again.
I'm a longtime fan, and I didn't notice these at first either. I don't want to discount the issue, but it seems they don't jump out at some people. However, to many folks it sticks out like a sore thumb, and LFL/Fox's response is pretty pathetic.

Didn't I read that Ben Burtt quit LFL earlier this year?

And that old school artwork has really got my hopes up, I know I keep doing it to myself, but I can't help but think we'll get the originals someday. I've got my LD's, and they'll hold me over once I figure out my DVD-burner.

Last edited by milo bloom; 09-27-05 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-27-05, 04:01 PM

To coincide with the release of III, I guess.
Old 09-27-05, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And that old school artwork has really got my hopes up, I know I keep doing it to myself, but I can't help but think we'll get the originals someday. I've got my LD's, and they'll hold me over once I figure out my DVD-burner.
Yeah...that's what I was thinking.

OK...it may be bullshit but I just don't get WHY they would do a release like this...for essentially the same price...and just chop off the bonus disc. it makes absolutely NO sense. I could see if maybe they were each 2 disc releases and they were just doing a barebones boxed-set release OR single individual releases...but...this is just silly if it's still the same thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.