Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any news on SUPERMAN sequels special editions?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any news on SUPERMAN sequels special editions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 07:43 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the free posters....does anyone know if they'll ship rolled, or folded? If they're shipped rolled I'll get out the order form a.s.a.p.
Old 11-28-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy was out of the UCE, nor did they have any of the Christopher Reeve set, nor did they have Supergirl (that I saw; didn't think to look). Got a raincheck on the UCE, so hoping they get a new stock in the next few weeks.

--THX
Old 11-29-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Like so many others, I finally got my hands on the box set. I paid full retail price, but I didn't care. (I've invested hundreds in the four SUPERMAN films on VHS, CED, laserdisc and DVD over the years, so spending $70 to get all four flicks - again - as well as all the supplements and the Reeve/Brando footage from THE RICHARD DONNER CUT is no big deal to me.)

Despite all the problems --- some major, some minor; along with some technical deficiencies and questionable creative calls, including the mistakes with the SUPERMAN and SUPERMAN III discs, the jarringly edited music cues on THE DONNER CUT, the lack of all the KCOP footage available as a supplement, and the unprocessed and still incomplete footage from SUPERMAN IV (I have the Japanese import laserdisc, and at least two of the unfinished scenes from IV are complete on the LD), and any other nitpicks we, the fans, may have --- I have to say that the packaging is absolutely gorgeous and that I appreciate the hard work and care which went into this collection.

If you look at the beginning of this thread, the thought of seeing Donner's "lost" footage from SUPERMAN II was a rumor at best, and a pipedream at worst. Older fans like myself never, ever believed that the SUPERMAN films would be treated with such reverence and respect. And now we have what is truly a terrific piece of work by Thau, Donner, Mankiewicz, Salkind and the WB. It's a great time to be a Superman fan.
Old 11-29-06, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by DieselsDen
Like so many others, I finally got my hands on the box set. I paid full retail price, but I didn't care. (I've invested hundreds in the four SUPERMAN films on VHS, CED, laserdisc and DVD over the years, so spending $70 to get all four flicks - again - as well as all the supplements and the Reeve/Brando footage from THE RICHARD DONNER CUT is no big deal to me.)

Despite all the problems --- some major, some minor; along with some technical deficiencies and questionable creative calls, including the mistakes with the SUPERMAN and SUPERMAN III discs, the jarringly edited music cues on THE DONNER CUT, the lack of all the KCOP footage available as a supplement, and the unprocessed and still incomplete footage from SUPERMAN IV (I have the Japanese import laserdisc, and at least two of the unfinished scenes from IV are complete on the LD), and any other nitpicks we, the fans, may have --- I have to say that the packaging is absolutely gorgeous and that I appreciate the hard work and care which went into this collection.

If you look at the beginning of this thread, the thought of seeing Donner's "lost" footage from SUPERMAN II was a rumor at best, and a pipedream at worst. Older fans like myself never, ever believed that the SUPERMAN films would be treated with such reverence and respect. And now we have what is truly a terrific piece of work by Thau, Donner, Mankiewicz, Salkind and the WB. It's a great time to be a Superman fan.
amen! i could care less about these foul ups. when they get fixed, they get fixed. this set is barnone, one of the best looking and comprehensive for a series ever. i for one am so glad to have it even if it takes me a year to get through it all!!
Old 11-29-06, 09:07 AM

amen! i could care less about these foul ups. when they get fixed, they get fixed. this set is barnone, one of the best looking and comprehensive for a series ever. i for one am so glad to have it even if it takes me a year to get through it all and all for $52.90!!
Old 11-29-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Got mine today. Thanks, B&N for having such a great deal. Thanks, UPS for leaving the package and not a note on my porch

Fucking great package. I don't know where to begin!
Old 11-30-06, 12:11 AM
Banned

just watched the deleted scenes for 4. Goddamn, just ATROCIOUS.
Old 11-30-06, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yup. I always thought that maybe it was a mistake on Warner/Golan-Globus's part to chop the film up like that back in 1988. Well, now I know.
Old 11-30-06, 03:34 PM
Banned

Yup. I always thought that maybe it was a mistake on Warner/Golan-Globus's part to chop the film up like that back in 1988. Well, now I know.
But...but....but...seriously. Just godawful.
Old 11-30-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Atrocious meaning that they shouldn't have deleted them or atrocious meaning the scenes are awful.
Old 11-30-06, 04:17 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Atrocious meaning that they shouldn't have deleted them or atrocious meaning the scenes are awful.
Pretty sure he meant the scenes are awful.
Old 11-30-06, 04:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Pretty sure he meant the scenes are awful.
Awful doesn't begin to describe them.

Like...a BAD B-movie.
Old 11-30-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. You're telling me! Holy crap... I guess this will put an end to the rumors that this film was somehow ruined in the editing process.

That flick was clearly a clusterfuck from day 1.
Old 11-30-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Yeah I always thought those deleted scenes were a big deal. WOW. I recommend watching the movie with the writers commentary, to know how screwed the crew became on the film.

Also happy to say I love the Donner Cut of II, at least for the fact that Superman doesnt throw any fruit roll-ups at Non.
Old 11-30-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The footage that was supposedly destroyed for S4 is not on these dvds correct?
Old 11-30-06, 05:11 PM

S4

After watching the 40 min of Deleted scenes for S4,..it makes the finished film look like a masterpiece!
Old 11-30-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MoviesRMyLife
About the free posters....does anyone know if they'll ship rolled, or folded? If they're shipped rolled I'll get out the order form a.s.a.p.
When I got the king kong poster it was rolled. One side was crushed in shipping, can't notice in my frame though.
Old 12-08-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got to open this one early after the wife kept listening to me talking about how bad i wanted to see the Donner cut. Very much enjoyed it.

My tin was all banged up as well, but we dropped by a retailer and they swapped it no problem
Old 10-09-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry to bump an old one, didn't know where this question fit and didn't think it needed another thread.

Is there any good site/list that shows the extra scenes that were added for Superman the Movie Expanded Edition? The reviews here of the box set and STM don't list them out.

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 10-09-07 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
sorry to bump an old one, didn't know where this question fit and didn't think it needed another thread.

Is there any good site/list that shows the extra scenes that were added for Superman the Movie Expanded Edition? The reviews here of the box set and STM don't list them out.
I don't know if they list the differences, but you can always try Superman Hompage for every thing Superman.
Old 10-09-07, 04:45 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

IMDB has a pretty good rundown, too.