DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Walt Disney's The Little Mermaid: Platinum Edition 10.03.06

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardW
Another Limited Edition to replace.

I know it's not an LE, but I hope Disney replaces Hercules at some point like they did with Mulan.

I actually put up Lady & the Tramp at the same time as TLM, and it just sold already as well. Nice.
Old 09-19-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,327 Likes on 2,130 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Some people (probably sexually-repressed middle-age housewives) decided that one of the towers in the background looked like a penis. At least, that's what I remember.

EDIT: I found a link that tells more about it:

http://www.animatedbuzz.com/WB/39.html
and don't forget about the priest's erection.
Old 09-19-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a difference between how Disney handles these Platinum releases and their regular SEs, like the new The Emperor's New Groove?

I know the Platinums get sold for a certain amount of time and then get "put in the vault."

Do all of their titles go into the vault, because I'm not interested in TENG right now, but we have a lot of Disney in the house and I'll get it if it's gonna be locked away and selling for $50 or more for the next decade?

Thanks.
Old 09-19-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
and don't forget about the priest's erection.
10 more sessions with my therapist and I will.... :sigh:

Old 09-21-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

let's hope they don't digitally edit the movie to death like the Lion King Platinum release.
Old 10-14-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Is there a difference between how Disney handles these Platinum releases and their regular SEs, like the new The Emperor's New Groove?

I know the Platinums get sold for a certain amount of time and then get "put in the vault."

Do all of their titles go into the vault, because I'm not interested in TENG right now, but we have a lot of Disney in the house and I'll get it if it's gonna be locked away and selling for $50 or more for the next decade?

Thanks.
Disney seems to vault everything sooner or later. The platinum titles have a set rotation of seven years. Once a title is released as a platinum, it is printed for roughly three months to a year. Disney promos the release, and then promos the vaulting. You usually have around a year to pick up the title, before the well dries up and you have to go online. After that there is still a fair amount of time before the prices get to absurd. Lion King is OOP, but can still be found online for a fair price. I would suggest seeking out the old 2 disc CE of New Groove while you can. The only places that might still have them are Ultimate Electronics, and Suncoast. You will have a fair amount of time for the new release, and should know when its going OOP if you visit this board.
Old 10-14-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess this means it is time to sell the LE, or did I miss that boat already?
Old 10-14-05, 03:48 PM

We actually saw the box art to this movie in our Psychology class.

The issue was that if looked at in a certain way, the castles looks like penis kingdoms.

The funny thing is most of us did see the effect. It was kind of funny really.

And yes. The priest does get an erection. We also saw this part of the movie. Let's just say I had a very interesting Psychology section. It was fun though.

Also there was the moment is The Lion King with the sand & in Aladdin with the Princess Jasmine potty mouth scene.
Old 10-14-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by island007
I guess this means it is time to sell the LE, or did I miss that boat already?
I don't think there was a boat unless it was sealed. Even then not much. I put mine on half.com the day I read this thread. Sold it the following morning.

Going the half route you are looking at around $15. ebay about the same up to about $25.
Old 10-14-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts
The 'erection' is really the priest's knee- it just looks like an erection if you want to think it is.
Old 10-14-05, 06:06 PM

i can't wait for this one!

the one movie i never got to own on vhs or dvd... the only one i saw in theatres as a kiddie..

can't wait to watch it again with my neice!
Old 10-15-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Definitely glad that this is coming out sooner rather than later. Looking forward to watching this...in just under a year from now.
Old 01-25-06, 11:40 PM

Okay, this is coming out in October. Any news on what the extras are going to be? I've been waiting forever for it.
Old 01-26-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

not to many details floating just yet...i assume a new trailer will come with lady & the tramp, and possibly cover art at the same time....
Old 01-26-06, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Details were just released for Lady & the Tramp and that comes out soon. So I wouldn't expect any details for this one until summer.
Old 02-02-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
From our friends at HMR:

'Mermaid' Swims to DVD Oct. 3
Author: THOMAS K. ARNOLD
[email protected]
Posted: February 2, 2006
Email this Story to Friend

The Little Mermaid will be the next Walt Disney animated classic to get the full VIP treatment on DVD.

The 1989 film won two Oscars (for best song and best original score) and is credited with revitalizing Disney’s animated features after a long dry spell. It will arrive in stores Oct. 3 (prebook Aug. 8) at $29.99 as the studio’s eighth “Platinum Edition” DVD, a designation that brings with it significantly more bells and whistles than a standard DVD release.

The film is Disney’s eighth Platinum Edition DVD — following Lady and The Tramp, which streets Feb. 28 — and marks the first time The Little Mermaid will be available on DVD in seven years.

“The Little Mermaid is a monumental film in the history of Disney animation that is beloved by everyone,” said Gordon Ho, EVP of brand marketing and business development for Buena Vista Home Entertainment. “It signaled the beginning of a new era of animation at the Walt Disney Studios that included Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King.”

Ho said Mermaid is the most-requested Disney movie for release on DVD and will be backed by a massive marketing campaign similar to that for Cinderella, last year’s holiday-season Platinum Edition release. Cinderella went on to sell more than 6.5 million units and, according to Nielsen VideoScan data, is the No. 8 DVD seller of 2005, outselling such major new theatricals as Batman Begins and Ray.

Like other Platinum Edition releases, The Little Mermaid will be a two-disc set, with one disc reserved solely for bonus materials. Several cutting-edge features still are being developed, along with such expected extras as deleted scenes, commentaries, and featurettes on various aspects of the making of the movie. The DVD also will include several musical bonuses.

Ho said the film itself has been digitally restored, as has the audio track.

And like Cinderella, Ho said, Disney Consumer Products is working with a variety of partners to develop “a whole range of licensed products” to hit stores at the same time as the DVD, from costumes and other apparel to dolls and toys — more than 2,000 new products, in all.

“One of the greatest things about working on DVD releases like The Little Mermaid is that unlike a big theatrical release, we have the ability to plan very far in advance because we don’t have to guess whether the film will become a hit,” Ho said. “It already is.”

'Mermaid' Swims to DVD Oct. 3
Old 02-02-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
I can't wait for this one.
Old 02-02-06, 08:36 PM

EXCELLENT!!
Old 02-02-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally Posted by TomOpus
I can't wait for this one.
Me too....
Old 02-02-06, 11:02 PM

I will probably even buy the collectors set of this even though they usually just come with some extra fluff thing like a story book.
Old 02-03-06, 12:41 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 02-03-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Atreus
I will probably even buy the collectors set of this even though they usually just come with some extra fluff thing like a story book.
Yeah, me too. I really loved this film as a kid and it still stands up today.

I bought the box set of Aladdin when that came out
Old 02-03-06, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best news of the year. Hands down.
Old 02-03-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of my most anticipated...
Old 02-03-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i hope they keep the "penis" castle.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.