The Brothers Grimm - Due 12/20

Old 09-21-05, 12:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Monica Bellucci

I may give this a blind buy.

Originally Posted by AudioWizard
It wasn't that great.
actually she's about 15 minutes (at the most) in the film. And Miramax were bozos buy handing out press photos of
Spoiler:
her character's demise
- talk about spoilers.

Last edited by Giles; 09-21-05 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Bad reviews or not, I'm a Gilliam fan. I'll be picking this one up for sure.
Old 09-21-05, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
But it was Terry Gilliam! Was it really that bad?

I actually didn't think it was that bad, I was entertained to a point, but I thought the biggest flaw was the acting from the three leads Damon, Ledger and the lead actress (I'm forgetting her name). Absolutely zero chemistry.
Old 09-21-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I almost didn't see the movie, after reading the reviews. I thought it would be boring. It wasn't boring. It wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it pretty well and I'm glad I saw it. I'd probably put it between Time Bandits and Fisher King (but I've only seen it once so that could change).

For comparison, my opinion on other TG non-MP movies
Brazil: Great
12 Monkeys: Very good
Time Bandits: Good (even though it was slow in parts)
Fisher King: Good
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: OK, not great
Baron Munchausen: Just so-so, some cool stuff, but I got bored enough the one time I saw it that I haven't seen it again.

Edit: Jabberwocky (for the guy below): Didn't see it I don't know why, I've almost meant to, I just never have. I'll get right on it though!

Edit 2: Monica Belluci wasn't in it much, but she was really hot.

Edit3: Since this is DVD Talk, not movie talk, let me just say: I'll most likely be buying this.

Last edited by Ginwen; 09-21-05 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
And Miramax were bozos buy handing out press photos of
Spoiler:
her character's demise
- talk about spoilers.
Wow, thanks for being a bozo yourself. Just because you were spoiled doesn't mean you need to spoil others.
Old 09-21-05, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Morf
Wow, thanks for being a bozo yourself. Just because you were spoiled doesn't mean you need to spoil others.

oh come on, every newspaper review of the film had that accompanied photo.

(sorry, corrected).

Last edited by Giles; 09-21-05 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For comparison, my opinion on other TG non-MP movies
What about Jabberwocky? That wasn't Monty Python.
Old 09-21-05, 08:27 PM
Cool New Member

I'm a Gilliam fan and though I havent seen this yet, it looks good. Like a visual cross between Sleepy Hollow and Van Helsing.. both of which I like.
Old 10-26-05, 12:56 PM

Disc details from DavisDVD:

Buena Vista's The Brothers Grimm is due on December 20th and we have all the details. The visually sumptuous film will be available with a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1, an audio commentary with director Terry Gilliam, deleted scenes with optional director commentary, "Bringing the Fairytale to Life" and "The Visual Magic of The Brothers Grimm" behind-the-scenes featurettes. Retail is $29.99.
Old 10-26-05, 02:46 PM
Cool New Member

I love Terry Gilliam and can't believe how his pictures are always butchered and cut to pieces.

If there is a longer more Gilliam cut of the movie, will that ever see the light of day on DVD?

If so ill just wait for that and make believe he didnt finish this. He seems to do that.
Old 10-26-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
That and Serenity will go on me X-Mas list! Brothers Grimm was unmistakably Gilliam with its characters and style, but it had studio meddling written all over it, especially when they cast an unknown whose only real qualification seemed to be that she had a hot body in the female lead as opposed to Gilliam's first choice, Samantha Morton. Morton might not have been hot, but she would have at least given a good performance as opposed to the wooden one we received. In short, I didn't like it that much, but will take it as a gift!
Old 10-26-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I found this to be a very entertaining movie. It was a little unfocused in the beginning, and the shifts in tone was distracting, but once the motor got humming, I had a good time. I would love to see a Director's cut if there was one. This is pretty much what you get with a Gilliam film, whether it's his fault or not.
Old 10-26-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless there is the rumored "Gilliam Cut" I won't be buying this. And I am a HUGE T.G. fan.
Old 12-15-05, 06:52 PM

I haven't seen the film and planned on blind buying it but it doesn't look like it's gonna be on sale tues ($19.99 or $17.99 isn't worth a blind buy for me with such bad reviews) If it's as bad as i've heard....I may wait for a 2 for $20 sale.
Old 12-15-05, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Huge Gilliam fan, I was lukewarm about this film, I do want it for my Gilliam DVD collection though, especially since it has a commentary track, but also not for $17-$19. I can wait a bit longer for it.
Old 12-15-05, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Although Gilliam had a lot of studio interference (as usual), when the movie was released he claimed that he got his desired cut out of it. I doubt we will see any more from it.
Old 12-15-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not particularly a Gilliam fan, but I did like the movie. Doubt if I'll get the DVD.

Now if they will only get Georage Pal's Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm out, I'll be all over that.
Old 12-15-05, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will pick it up to fill out my TG collection.
Old 12-20-05, 05:36 PM
Suspended

I just rented the DVD. Some thoughts.
1. It's truly a great film in that it is a very entertaining metaphor of the birth of Romanticism as a reaction of German nationalism to France's brutal occupation of Germany under Napoleon, i.e. the rebirth of the values of irrationality (like pagan fairy tales) in reaction to the so-called enlightenment rationality imposed from the outside by a conquering imperialistic nation at the onset of the Industrial Revolution.
2. The comparison to Van Helsing scared the bejeesus out of me as this film is, without fear of contradiction, the most soulless piece of CGI-based, video game-inspired pack o'caca to ever deflower a movie screen and lower the IQ of its viewers (if that's possible). The Brothers Grimm is nothing like that, thank God! It's a witty, well thought-out and finely acted film.
3. I had to laugh thinking back at the criticism The Day After Tomorrow received because of its CGI wolves which were judged by film sophisticates in this thread and elsewhere as "sub-par". I guess they hadn't seen the wolf in Brothers Grimm, whose shortcomings can be excused by the fact that it's a fairy-tale wolf disguising a human being.

Last edited by baracine; 12-20-05 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-20-05, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by baracine
I just rented the DVD. Some thoughts.
1. It's truly a great film in that it is a very entertaining metaphor of the birth of Romanticism as a reaction of German nationalism to France's brutal occupation of Germany under Napoleon, i.e. the rebirth of the values or irrationality (like pagan fairy tales) in reaction to the so-called enlightenment rationality imposed from the outside by a conquering imperialistic nation at the onset of the Industrial Revolution.
2. The comparison to Van Helsing scared the bejeesus out of me as this film is, without fear of contradiction. the most soulless piece of CGI-based, video game-inspired package of caca to ever deflower a movie screen and lower the IQ of its viewers (if that's possible). The Brothers Grimm is nothing like that, thank God! It's a witty, well thought-out and finely acted film.
3. I had to laugh thinking back at the criticism The Day After Tomorrow received because of its CGI wolves which were judged by film sophisticates in this thread and elsewhere as "sub-par". I guess they hadn't seen the wolf in Brothers Grimm, whose shortcomings can be excused by the fact that it's a fairy-tale wolf disguising a human being.
so would you recommend a purchase?
Old 12-20-05, 06:33 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by marcellusk
so would you recommend a purchase?
Yes, even at $33.11 CAN, which is the price on amazon.ca. Especially as an example of Terry Gilliam at his best. It has to be seen at least twice to extract all the main nuances of interpretation and story-telling - not to mention the Gilliam commentary - and it has a very high repeat factor after that. I think it's a classic.

All the characters are perfectly cast. Heath Ledger and Matt Damon's performances are superb. Even Monica Belluci, whom I consider the Whore of Babylon, is not exactly out of character as the Evil blood-drinking Queen.

Last edited by baracine; 12-21-05 at 07:04 AM.