DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   G.I. Joe seasons discontinued??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/437727-g-i-joe-seasons-discontinued.html)

WickedEmpire 09-12-05 11:07 PM

G.I. Joe seasons discontinued???

I was planning on picking up the season sets of these great 80's cartoons and was shocked to see that no one had them. Are these out of print? Any info would be helpful.... Thanks!!!

fryinpan1 09-13-05 05:41 AM

Yes, I think all of the season sets have been discontinued and they are fairly hard to find. Rhino tried to screw the fans by releasing season two in two parts, but they never even released the second part and then they lost the rights to G.I. Joe.

You can usually find tons of bootleg sets on Ebay (the quality is not as good as the official releases, but all of the episodes will be there and who knows when these will get officially released again).

"A message from the Rhino Video Deptartment:

Rhino's deal with Sunbow, the licensor of Transformers, GI Joe and Jem, has expired. Sony Music has acquired them and will reissue these titles at some point."

WickedEmpire 09-14-05 04:22 AM

Thanks for the info! It sounds like Rino really F'd up on this one... Well I hope that Sony will finish the job.

mzupeman2 09-14-05 11:57 AM

Eh, search is your friend (who all saw that coming).

Anyways, Sony is supposedly going to 'finish the job' someday, but it'll be a while before we see it, and they're going to be releasing this show from the beginning again I believe.

G. Noel Gross 09-14-05 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Rhino tried to screw the fans by releasing season two in two parts

That's one point of view. The other is trying to lower the price-point so sets don't gather dusts on shelves, thereby discouraging retailers to stock G.I. Joe or other releases. Sucks that Rhino didn't hustle Part 2 out, though. That's said by someone who bought the other releases, which are now incomplete.

reverie 09-14-05 12:23 PM

I only picked up the movie, miniseries, and part one of season one, and I'm still ticked off. But then on the other hand, if another company's going to do it right.. I suppose I'll start over again at season one.

Damed 09-14-05 12:26 PM

I'm one of the ones who got burnt by Rhino with this. I have the 3 issued sets (Season 1 parts 1 and 2, and Season 2 part 1).

I really hope I don't have to rebuy the whole damn bunch in order to get the rest of the episodes I need.

fryinpan1 09-14-05 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by G. Noel Gross
That's one point of view. The other is trying to lower the price-point so sets don't gather dusts on shelves, thereby discouraging retailers to stock G.I. Joe or other releases. Sucks that Rhino didn't hustle Part 2 out, though. That's said by someone who bought the other releases, which are now incomplete.

Rhino priced all of the season sets about the same. Season 2, Part 1 was priced very similar to the previous releases even though it only had half the number of episodes.

Living Dead 09-15-05 01:26 AM

I never bought S2P1 because of the rumors that they were losing their license, but I have the full first season. For what they are, the Rhino sets are good enough for me, so I won't buy any Sony rereleases. The only thing I worry about is if Sony releases them again from the beginning and no one buys them (because we'd all be waiting for the second season to complete our sets), then the studio may take that as a lack of interest and never release the rest.

TriciaJ 09-15-05 10:58 AM

I suppose that explains why the first two Jem releases came out fairly close together and then all of the sudden there was nothing. Too bad they didn't just hurry and release the second half of season 3 to finish out the show. Oh well, I waited 20 years to own it I suppose I could wait a few more. Besides maybe Sony will have better packaging ideas.