Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Katrina flooded my DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
I totally agree that scott1598 should be banned from these boards forever. He asks some of the weirdest questions himself, and then when somebody runs into a disaster and asks a question which many people may like to hear answered, he says something like he did. I am very happy that all of you are flaming him. I hope that the administrators will take another look at his post, look at his history of posts and ban the sucker!
Old 09-13-05, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rubix
i found this, which is what i was thinking about the layers unfortunately:

DVD Care: Water Damage

Spills are an unfortunate fact of office life. For some parts of the country, floods are also a fact of life. So, it's worth discussing what's likely to happen if you get that recordable DVD wet or even soaked.

Water will eventually soak into the layers of the DVD disc. The less pure the water is (e.g., coffee is not close to pure water), the more chance of nasty things reacting with the layers inside the DVD.

The chances of getting data off of a DVD that was soaked depend on what it was soaked in and how long. Get the disc clean and dry as soon as possible. If the disc is not readable, do not give up immediately. Moisture that was absorbed into the layers of the DVD may take time to dry out. Keep the disc in a clean, dry environment and retry it every day or so.
I'm interpreting this as, if possible, keep the DVDs, still in cases so as not to scratch them up, in a dry place for a few days. Then use water and a microfiber cloth like you use to clean glasses to clean the DVDs. Soap/rubbing alcohol is probably a bad idea, but may be necessary. And I'm just thinking about sand and dirt, I don't know if you need to worry about bacteria. But I imagine that pressed DVDs would be more resistant to particles than DVD-Rs, so maybe drying them out isn't even a concern.
Old 09-13-05, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After you wash them, I would put one in just enough water to wash off any remaining residues, swish it around, and let it soak for a few minutes. Then ph the water. If it is anything other than neutral than there might be some chemical residue that needs to be neutralized to keep it from affecting the surface long-term. Also, check the surface of the water for any oily sheen which could be a solvent, which will not register on a ph strip.

Hopefully you could restore your covers by printing new ones off a cover art site?
Old 09-13-05, 02:42 AM

i know what i posted was about recordable dvds, however i think all pressed dvds contain multiple layers, and i don't mean single vs dual. they have a data layer that is stuck between 2 polycarbonate layers and they are literally glued on to each other. that's the process to actually create them i think.

maybe i am wrong though.

dvdrs just add another element to the data layer, which is pits and grooves.

Last edited by Rubix; 09-13-05 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-13-05, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
And be sure to wear gloves and protective clothing. I'm not sure how deep the water is now where you lived, but I would suggest that you at least wear rubber boots. There are probably some nasties in the water that can do far more damage to you than to your DVD collection.
That was my first thought too! It's not worth risking your health to salvage some DVDs. Here's a link with more info on toxins in the floodwaters:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168706,00.html

Sorry for your loss. Hope your friends and family are all safe too.
Old 09-13-05, 06:55 AM
xia

another vote ban for
scott1598

I'm sorry for your loss (everything).
Old 09-13-05, 09:20 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
that's fine. the OP didn't mention anything else about loss until the latter posts. i merely saw the first and took exception that's all. now, he says all he does and i am truly sorry and hope he regains all he can as soon as he can.
if this is my last post because of all the flaming which pilot specifically said not to be done, so be it. i have enjoyed reading and writing here to the fullest.

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-13-05 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-13-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

scott, (hmm, your edit kinda makes this sound silly, whatever)
It's a DVD forum, we talk about DVDs. You would've ripped him an even bigger new one if he asked about his furniture here. I suggest you stop before a mod agrees with the ban police above. Just because a tragedy happens doesn't mean all life stops. How many days is he supposed to wait before deciding what to do with a few hundred of his possessions that were damaged? Should he burn his house down since others lost their's completely? Just because somebody asks about his DVDs doesn't mean he doesn't have other problems from this mess. He's the one living through it, geez!

cleaver,
For cleaning the DVDs, I would definitely recommend soap, probably a degreaser/antibacterial like the appropriat Dawn in this case. It's just plastic of whichever sort, and (as mentioned) this water is potentially very nasty. DVDs are one of the few things that could actually survive since they are so durable. Furniture, walls, clothes, anything paper or porous, etc would all simply be trash after this kind of damage. My MIL had water damage recently (nothing like Katrina caused) and essentially nothing survived.

rubix,
DVDs are not glued. They are all plastic outside. I think they are sorta welded together with more plastic. LDs are glued, they would most likely be dead after water damage.

Last edited by Spiky; 09-13-05 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-13-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Honestly, I would look at this as an opportunity. I lost all my personal belongings in a house fire 2 years back. However, I got to rebuild my collection from the ground up. With no bad eggs in it at all.
Old 09-13-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
that's fine. the OP didn't mention anything else about loss until the latter posts. i merely saw the first and took exception that's all. now, he says all he does and i am truly sorry and hope he regains all he can as soon as he can.
if this is my last post because of all the flaming which pilot specifically said not to be done, so be it. i have enjoyed reading and writing here to the fullest.
It's obvious he lost more than his DVDs; after all it was a flood. Man, you have to be totally clueless not to know that.
Old 09-13-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had a hot water heater crack just off of my living room in my last apartment about 2 years ago. Because it was a huge hole, we had 120 gallons of water gush into our living room and kitchen in a matter of minutes. Everything that was on the floor was soaked, including a handful of my DVD's that I had left sitting around in front of my entertainment center. We were scrambling to move all of our expensive furniture (especially the antiques) out of the way, the HDTV, and unplug all the electrical devices before the water reached them and, of course, deal with the water leak itself. So consequently my DVD's ended up sitting in several inches of water - water filled with carpet cleaning chemicals, dirt, and a lot of pet dander - for close to a half hour. All but one of them played fine after cleaning them off with some sterile water and drying with a clean 100% cotton cloth. The one that was ruined had water visible inside the inner layers of the disc that you could move around by pinching it. Obviously, mine weren't exposed to water as long as your's were, but there's still a good chance that you can recover some of them.

My heart goes out to you for your loss. I've been through a major hurricane here in Hawaii, so I know how scary the destruction can be. Fortunately, in my case our house merely took in some sea water and had a few windows smashed (we also had some furniture from our lanai get swept away). I don't know what I'd do if I was in your situation (total destruction). I don't wish that on anybody. Just try to keep your head up. Thank God you and your family are safe - that's the most important thing.
Old 09-13-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First and foremost, sorry for your loss.

I would think that water and soap would take care of your dvds. I would be willing to bet most will be fine after a good cleaning. As far as the cases, it might be easier to pick up some replacements and download some coverart. Hopefully since you have internet access you have a printer available. Don't pay too much for the cases, coverart, time, etc considering alot of dvds have dropped substantially in price.

On a lighter note, after you get things settled down you should watch alot of movies since the laser on your dvd player might help further sterilize you dvds!!!
Old 09-13-05, 01:25 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiky
DVDs are not glued. They are all plastic outside. I think they are sorta welded together with more plastic. LDs are glued, they would most likely be dead after water damage.
DVDs are made of two polycarbonates glued together with the data layer(s) in-between.
Old 09-13-05, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan
It's obvious he lost more than his DVDs; after all it was a flood. Man, you have to be totally clueless not to know that.
It seems that Scott1598 is pretty clueless and insensitive.
Old 09-13-05, 02:27 PM
DrS

Very sorry for your loss and insurance situation. When my basement has flooded (twice, and quite/very minor in comparison - less than an inch deep) due to rain, I found dehumidifiers and a wet/dry vac of great help. You'll probably need to designate one room or area as the 'dry' area, and put your DVDs and a dehumid unit or two in there. I don't know what the supply/demand situation is for dehumid units and wet/dry vacs, but get good ones if you can. I have two Sears dehumid units and the top of the line one greatly outperforms the lesser model. And you don't want to mess around with water in the house. The other thing I have, but haven't used (thank goodness) is a water pump that hooks up to garden hoses and will pump water out of the basement - if ever needed. Might try to find one of those too at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Hope you have electricity, too.

Hang in there, Bud.

And Scott1598, I'm not sure it speaks well for you that you aren't sorry until the further losses are mentioned. Geez, of course he lost more, and this is, last I checked, a DVD forum. Many decidedly trivial (to outsiders, but not to posters and responders) DVD issues are fetishized here, and no one gets attacked for that - inserts, etc. And here is a very serious DVD issue and you dump. For shame. Shame on you.
Old 09-13-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

heliosten obviously lost a lot. In his very first post, he said that his house was flooded. Duh. He kept the thread on-topic for the forum, though, singling out his ruined HT software and hardware. Unless Katrina caused one of those magic floods that only ruins HT-related items, it should be obvious to anyone that heliosten lost more than that.

Anyway, I am certainly a very (and probably far too) materialistic person, so I have no clue how I would deal with losing all of my possessions in a disaster. My heart goes out to heliosten and everyone else who lost possessions and more.

DJ
Old 09-13-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Wow, that may be the single most asinine comment I've ever seen on these boards in the 5+ years I've been a member. Totally uncool.
Old 09-13-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is off topic, but something I just noticed off hand.... Is it just me or are there a lot of new member posts on this thread? Did we get an influx of new members recently?

I don't know what to say about the topic that hasn't been said already. I think in times like these, those of you who have renter's insurance are better off than people with home owners insurance. Renter's insurance seems to cover far more. I have often thought what it would be like to have to replace my DVD collection and I know it would suck. I am sorry for anybody who has to go through rebuilding their lives.
Old 09-13-05, 03:26 PM
Banned

I know a girl whose real name is Katrina, who wants to change it because of this. Evertime now, she says, "Him I'm Katrina", people go up and say, "Wow, so do you blow hard, knock things over, wreck havoc and enjoy it." I was shocked to hear that. I can't believe it, but I guess she wants to change her name to Katie.
Old 09-13-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dalvin
I know a girl whose real name is Katrina, who wants to change it because of this. Evertime now, she says, "Him I'm Katrina", people go up and say, "Wow, so do you blow hard, knock things over, wreck havoc and enjoy it." I was shocked to hear that. I can't believe it, but I guess she wants to change her name to Katie.
She should change it to Corina.
Old 09-13-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I think in times like these, those of you who have renter's insurance are better off than people with home owners insurance. Renter's insurance seems to cover far more.
Unless I'm mistaken, neither renters insurance nor homeowners insurance would have covered OP's losses. He would have had to get a separate flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (FEMA).
Old 09-13-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalvin
No you don't.
Old 09-13-05, 04:40 PM
Banned

I know you are but what I am
Old 09-13-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Heliosten, what percentage of your collection do you think you will rebuy if only the DVD covers are ruined? Im curious if I would rebuy my favorite DVDs just to have fresh DVD covers....do you think you will have the energy to make your own covers?
Old 09-13-05, 05:45 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry to hear the news, hope everything is getting better

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.