DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Wallace and Gromit still in demand? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/437634-wallace-gromit-still-demand.html)

acostigan 09-12-05 09:27 AM

Wallace and Gromit still in demand?

I ran across a box of DVDs over the weekend I had forgot about. That was good, because I was dying to see Murder by Death and I thought I had lost it.

Anyway, it contained a copy of the original Wallace & Gromit DVD (in the green case) that I bought back in the day. I couldn't find any copies on e-bay to see if this was still in demand; I was under the impression they were going to rerelease these in the near future when Nick Park releases another adventure. Is this still a highly sought-after title?

Thanks,
-AC

Gobear 09-12-05 09:40 AM

Streeting on 9/20:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...00749?v=glance

Fielding Mellish 09-12-05 12:27 PM

I just eBay'ed my green-cover copy for $120.00. YMMV.

emhello 09-12-05 01:00 PM

I got $75 for mine a couple of weeks ago.

ctowner1 09-12-05 01:05 PM

How is this different from http://tinyurl.com/cdfak ? Is it basically A Grand Day Out, Wrong Trousers, and Close Shave? The amazon info on the link provided above doesn't describe more.

My young son (and I) love W&G - so would love to hear if there's more to the W&G universe than these 3.

Gobear 09-12-05 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ctowner1
How is this different from http://tinyurl.com/cdfak ? Is it basically A Grand Day Out, Wrong Trousers, and Close Shave? The amazon info on the link provided above doesn't describe more.

My young son (and I) love W&G - so would love to hear if there's more to the W&G universe than these 3.

Yep, it's the 3 W&G 30-minute features plus Cracking Contraptions, a series of 10 W&G shorts that first premiered on the Web. It's a 3-disc set, so I'm guessing that the extras from the earlier releases will be ported over.

ctowner1 09-12-05 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
Yep, it's the 3 W&G 30-minute features plus Cracking Contraptions, a series of 10 W&G shorts that first premiered on the Web. It's a 3-disc set, so I'm guessing that the extras from the earlier releases will be ported over.

wow! Those must be some pretty good shorts to warrant teh $75-120 price tag for something you can get for $15 or so on Amazon w/o them! lol

Is Nick Park rumored/scheduled to be doing any new W&G features?

msbailey 09-12-05 07:49 PM

Funny you should ask.

eau 09-13-05 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by msbailey

The "Cracking Contraptions" shorts are funny :)

Yoda 09-13-05 02:24 AM

I recall something about the music being original in the green release but, being changed in all previous releases.....is the original music restored in this release?

eau 09-13-05 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda
I recall something about the music being original in the green release but, being changed in all previous releases.....is the original music restored in this release?

I heard that it was the "happy birthday" music that they changed.

Gobear 09-13-05 06:55 AM

wow! Those must be some pretty good shorts to warrant teh $75-120 price tag for something you can get for $15 or so on Amazon w/o them! lol

I must not have been clear--the new W&G DVD plus the 10 Cracking contraptions shorts is only $13.99. The disc in your link w/o the extra shorts is OOP, hence it is more costly, at least until the new disc comes out.

[/quote]
Yep. This release is tied to the 9/30 release of a new W&G theatrical feature, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Giles 09-13-05 09:36 AM

they better or I'll be :mad:

ctowner1 09-13-05 10:46 AM

I must not have been clear--the new W&G DVD plus the 10 Cracking contraptions shorts is only $13.99. The disc in your link w/o the extra shorts is OOP, hence it is more costly, at least until the new disc comes out.

oh...that was all I found on the site. I'd love to have the "Cracking Contraptions" shorts - but I'm not inclined to buy the new disc just to have them b/c I already have the 3 features from the previous release. How long are the 10 shorts? Any chance they'll be released separately?

Also - so is what I have: "The Amazing Adventures of W&G" (or something like that - it's a white cover) going for big $$$? Or is it an earlier green covered version that is? B/c if the $$ are high enough to be worth the bother, I'd just eBay my old version and buy the new one - problem solved! :^)

Yep. This release is tied to the 9/30 release of a new W&G theatrical feature, The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Awesome!! Thanks so much! (and to MsBaily too! :^)

eau 09-13-05 01:31 PM

How long are the 10 shorts?

If it is any indication of the running time, there are 2 shorts available at www.wandg.com.

Giles 09-19-05 03:01 PM

in the most recent issue of EW - they bemoan the dropping of the commentary track from the first disc edition for tihis new edition. (damn it!)

garmonbozia 09-19-05 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
in the most recent issue of EW - they bemoan the dropping of the commentary track from the first disc edition for tihis new edition. (damn it!)

the commentary was actually on the second version.....this new one is the third version.

Giles 09-19-05 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
the commentary was actually on the second version.....this new one is the third version.

ooops, so sorry there..

oh and by the way I just saw the full length movie with director Nick Parks doing a post screening Q&A tonight - the movie's great - now go tell all your friends and kids and family's to see this and show Hollywood that not all good animated films have to be CGI films.

Fielding Mellish 09-20-05 03:35 PM

Has anybody seen an in-depth, online review of the new Dreamworks DVD yet? I'm curious about the transfer and sound (beyond the obvious music replacement / commentary issues).

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_im...4/40720604.jpg

The one copy I could find in a retail rack today had "FULL FRAME" called out on it's top sticker. Does that possibly mean that there's a WS version?

eau 09-20-05 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
The one copy I could find in a retail rack today had "FULL FRAME" called out on it's top sticker. Does that possibly mean that there's a WS version?

I don't recall the original 'green cover' version being widescreen. However, the new Cracking Contraptions shorts are widescreen though.

buckee1 09-20-05 06:50 PM

Even the UK disc is FF. If anyone would have it in its correct OAR they would. To my knowledge there are no WS versions as the FF is the OAR.

slowcloud 09-21-05 07:38 AM

Does this new version even have the early Nick Park animations and tests from the first 2 DVDs?

naevity 09-21-05 08:40 AM

Here is what is on the DVD by section:

Shorts: *Play All, A Grand Day Out, A Close Shave, The Wrong Trousers

Crackpot Contraptions: *Play All, The Soccamatic, The Tellyscope, The Autochef, The Snoozatron, The Turbo Diner, The Bully Proof Vest, The 525 Crackervac, A Christmas Cardomatic, The Snowmanotron, Shopper 13

Special Features: Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit Sneak Preview, Cracking Contraptions: Behind the Scenes

Setup: English 2.0 Dolby Digital Surround, French 2.0 Mono, Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, None