DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Which films would you release if you were Criterion? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/437327-films-would-you-release-if-you-were-criterion.html)

james2025a 09-09-05 09:22 AM

Which films would you release if you were Criterion?

Personally i would have a huge list of films i would like to see transfered....but keeping to a top 5 they would be:

1. Robinson Crusoe on Mars (I know that Criterion released this already on laserdisc....i keep waiting for the DVD release).

2. Bladerunner (This is my favourite film of all time, and i have personally got 4 different versions of the film. With so much material readily available and the desire for this to be seen i would love it).

3. The Killing of America (Really fantastic documentary, and with so much material on serial killers and nuts in general a great dvd is there for the waiting).

4. Lone Wolf and Cub/Babycart Series (Great films that have had a thousand imitators - Tarantino being the biggest with Kill Bill - but these are essential films for any collection. All 6 movies remastered and put into a collection would be fantastic).

5. Sleuth (Olivier and Caine at their finest. The only film to ever have the entire cast nominated for Oscars i believe. Deserving of more than the basic release it has so far been given).

Give us you lists and see if Criterion can maybe take some notes.

Mr. Cinema 09-09-05 09:29 AM

The Game

james2025a 09-09-05 09:34 AM

Thats an excellent suggestion. I love that film. It was really under rated and deserved to do better. Along with Fight Club Finchers best movies.

Maxflier 09-09-05 09:49 AM

All the Van Damme movies.

Damed 09-09-05 09:51 AM

Nosferatu and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

cleaver 09-09-05 09:56 AM

Pulp Fiction

PixyJunket 09-09-05 10:01 AM

Good Burger

chente 09-09-05 10:46 AM

Maria Candelaria

darkhawk 09-09-05 10:56 AM

The Pied Piper (1942)

Father Karras 09-09-05 11:00 AM

If I was Criterion I would release only the films that they have the rights to release so I wouldn't get sued ;)

But seriously, if they could obtain the rights to David Fincher's "The Game" again (they must have had the rights at one point since they released a nice laserdisc edition some time ago), I'm sure Criterion would gives this the treatment that is sorely lacking in the current Universal release.

Willh51 09-09-05 11:03 AM

2nd for Bladerunner and The Game.

Also, I'd love to see a Criterion of The Pianst, the disc now is fine but I think Criterion could do so much more with it.

sataniko 09-09-05 11:04 AM

Falling Down

dvd_luver 09-09-05 11:14 AM

1492 - Conquest Of Paradise (very underated and sorely overlooked Ridley Scott film about Christopher Colombus disovery of the New World. Visually stunning, great cast, score and costumes. Like taking a time warp back to the 15th century age of discovery. Would be a perfect film for the Criterion Collection catalogue)

Laserdsic Upgrades: Pulp Fiction, The Game, David Cronenberg's Crash, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

Joe Molotov 09-09-05 11:16 AM

Every movie. Ever.

andicus 09-09-05 11:22 AM

"Some Girls" Just because no one else has ever released it, and I'd love to have a copy. IMHO it's an underrated film that deserves a nice treatment.

Damed 09-09-05 11:25 AM

Monster Squad!

james2025a 09-09-05 11:30 AM

I love the idea of releasing every movie ever on Criterion....but who ever suggested the Van Damme films.....come on lets be serious. If they were to be relased then we would have also to look forward to the Dolph Lungren Collection and the Steven Seagal collection.

By the way, can Seagal actually get any fatter....the guy is amazingly funny.....he is this fat lard arse these days that movie execs still expect people to think of as a Action Hero tough guy. The keyboard i am typing this on could make better moves in a martial arts role than that guy.

Also love the idea of Falling Down. Schumacher is a piss poor director......but somehow he managed to make a decent film here.

matome 09-09-05 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by sataniko
Falling Down

:up:

You forgot the briefcase!

Mscott716 09-09-05 11:46 AM

more releases like Heaven Can Wait and Unfaithfully Yours..I just can't get into the foreign films.
Wouldn't mind seeing:

The Uninvited
Ministry of Fear
The Picture of Dorian Gray

fumanstan 09-09-05 11:53 AM

More Michael Bay movies :p

Babylab 09-09-05 12:28 PM

Definitely "Badlands" and "Days of Heaven" by Malick.
"Sunchaser" (Cimino) would be my choice too.

Lemdog 09-09-05 01:16 PM

Robinson Crusoe on Mars
Ashes of Time
Lost Highway
Olympia

Caliking 09-09-05 01:21 PM

Amadeus
Bottle Rocket
12 Angry Men
25th Hour
American Beauty
Being John Malkovich
Braveheart
City of God
Cool Hand Luke
Fight Club
High Fidelity
Hoosiers
Lost In Translation
Cinema Paradiso
The Usual Suspects

GOS 09-09-05 01:28 PM

"Room at the Top" and the '65 sequel "Life at the Top" released as a double bill DVD.

Upper pylon 3 09-09-05 01:30 PM

Johnny Got His Gun (1971)