Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you buy TV episodes ala iTunes if available?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-05, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to thinking about this because of the thread discussing buy full series as opposed to seasons. I can only think of a couple series where I would buy every season. I can think of countless where I would buy multiple episodes if given the chance.

Two prime examples, M.A.S.H. and E.R. I love some episodes but wouldn't watch the majority of them ever again.
Old 08-17-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only way this would work for me would be for obscure short lived shows that have no chance of making it to DVD (i.e. Nutt House, Police Squad, Misfits of Science et al). Other then that, I prefer season sets, even though, granted, I rarely rewatch most of the episodes more then a few times.
Old 08-17-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope. Removes the "collecting" aspect of the hobby for me, which I enjoy. Not to mention no pacakge art, informational booklets, special features, etc.

Not a chance.
Old 08-17-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't do instead of buying season sets, but for certain shows, sure I could see myself buying a few episodes to watch, if the price was right and the selection was good.
Old 08-17-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never. Never ever.
Old 08-17-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would be perfect for shows like the Tonight Show, Letterman, Conan, etc. Assuming that these ever were released of course (music rights, performance clearances for music guests, rights for using video clips are obstacles). If they were available, who would want hundreds and hundreds of these shows? Perhaps some die hard fans, but most people would be interested in shows with specific guests that interested them.

Another one might be Saturday Night Live, which like the shows mentioned above may never see the light of day as original episodes. I grew up watching the original and remember it fondly, but a few weeks ago I saw a 70s episode with Buck Henry as host and all the original cast, Belushi, etc., that just SUCKED. I couldn't believe how bad the episode was, weak writing, bad performances, Weekend Update was off, very little to recommend it at all. The show's been on for 30 years for goodness sakes, who would want all of it?
Old 08-17-05, 03:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
iMight
Old 08-17-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wouldn't do it via my PC, but I'd love to have a huge on-demand library of cheap sitcoms on my digital cable.

DJ
Old 08-17-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd love it, but just imagine all the writers and actors and musicians et al going on strike to renegotiate their royalty cuts. Jizzle!
Old 08-17-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand this obsession with iTunes. What a worthless invention. Don't people want to actually physically OWN their media?
Old 08-17-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jmj713
Don't people want to actually physically OWN their media?
Not on albums with one good single and 11 terrible tracks.
Old 08-17-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably not. If it was a more obscure series or that was the only way to skirt around the issue of music rights (like if they made WKRP available online) and that was the ONLY way we could get those shows then I would, but I really despise the fallacy of DVD-R technology, so I wouldn't really have any thing to put them on, other than massive volumes of SVCDS. And I prefer to just buy it. Time=money, and as a collector, I like having a decent looking collection, not spindles of burned media.
Old 08-17-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
It depends on the show. I agree that series that have long runs would be best for this type of thing. For example, if the L&O / Homicide crossover episodes were available this way I would buy them. It will take too long for all the L&O seasons to be released and way too much money for a few episodes. In any other case I think I'd rather buy season sets.
Old 08-17-05, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I could watch any episode of any program for 50 cents or less, then I might do it. Anything more would be a complete waste of money, since I would have no permanent ownership of the license to view the program whenever and wherever I wished. Backing it up would not be permitted, nor would watching it on any other device than the one on which it was "purchased". So, when that devices hard drive filled up, something would have to go, which means the money spent for the episode is also gone.
Old 08-17-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoboDad
If I could watch any episode of any program for 50 cents or less, then I might do it. Anything more would be a complete waste of money, since I would have no permanent ownership of the license to view the program whenever and wherever I wished. Backing it up would not be permitted, nor would watching it on any other device than the one on which it was "purchased". So, when that devices hard drive filled up, something would have to go, which means the money spent for the episode is also gone.
I don't use iTunes, but I take it from this post that iTunes does not allow you to burn the music you download?
Old 08-17-05, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I was thinking of it being like iTunes. For .99 I can download a song and burn it to a disc. If it were like 2.99 to get one episode I can see myself doing this. I don't think I would spend more than if I was able to buy a single disc of any given season set.
Old 08-17-05, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I don't understand this obsession with iTunes. What a worthless invention. Don't people want to actually physically OWN their media?
Yep completely worthless. Nevermind the millions upon millions of people LEGALLY downloading a hit tune without having to blow $14 on an album by an artist they generally don't like.

I think the tv idea would be great. Say the tivo/dvr screwed up, and missed your show, or some local news event pre-empts it, or local sporting team action bumps your show this would be a great way to get what you missed. Plus I create and use my own covers to replace the dreaded digipak anyway.
Old 08-17-05, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I don't use iTunes, but I take it from this post that iTunes does not allow you to burn the music you download?
If you download it you can burn it.
Old 08-17-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already do... I don't have the moral downfall from downloading TV shows like I would from music because TV is free to begin with.
Old 08-17-05, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would, in fact I'm surprised someone hasn't hit upon the idea yet of doing custom DVDs for some shows. Seems like Paramount and Fox could pick up some new customers if they did made for order DVDs of Star Trek and X-Files for example. Although I guess that doesn't really fit the "itunes" model...
Old 08-17-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice threadcrap but to answer your question, NO I wouldn't want to physically own the media. I don't own a portable CD player anymore, use my Ipod in my car, listen to music through my computer when at home and hook my Ipod up to speakers to listen in other rooms. Owning the physical media would be pointless because all I would do is rip it onto my computer and never touch the CD again.

Back on topic: This would be good for a few reasons for me:
1) Shows where I only want a few random eps. For example, Seinfeld. I do love the show but its on syndication so much I don't find the need for the season sets. However, there are a few choice eps. that I would download and watch whenever I wanted.

2) Shows I've never seen. I recently purchased Footballer's Wives blind hoping that it would be worth it. It would have been nice to d/l an ep before buying to see if it was any good.

Yes, I know there are illegal ways of doing this and I honestly don't mind doing it but wouldn't mind paying if prices were reasonable and quality was good.
Old 08-17-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would probably if it was like buying an episode that aired yesterday or last week.... but not if its already on dvd.
Old 08-18-05, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only want tv shows in season sets. But good question to ask. I'm curious what other people are saying so far.
Old 08-18-05, 02:36 AM

I would only do this if there was an enhanced feature where you can type a actor or actresses name and get all their appearances regular or not. Becuase I like to collect just certain celebs work. Like for CSI:Maimi. I really can't stand the show but I heard that one of my favorite actors will be on it. I will download those episodes and not the whole series
Old 08-18-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Nah, I would never do this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.