DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Anybody holding out on a TV season to get the entire series? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/434333-anybody-holding-out-tv-season-get-entire-series.html)

PopcornTreeCt 08-15-05 10:45 PM

Anybody holding out on a TV season to get the entire series?

I noticed Friends now is releasing a big set with all 10 seasons. If you were to buy this set it would be much cheaper than buying them individually. I'm thinking about doing this with Seinfeld. Good? Bad?

Kocheese99 08-15-05 11:38 PM

All depends on the show. I kinda wish i didn't buy each season of Buffy and Angel because i kinda wished i could just roll right through the entire series without having to stop for 6 months in between. With some shows i kinda wish they would just release all the seasons at the same time, because if another show pulls a Mad About You i'm gonna get pissed.

speedy1961 08-16-05 09:21 AM

Depends on how much spare cash you have lying around. I have all the SATC sets and will not be double-dipping on the new set.

If I had to do it over again, I'd still collect a set at a time.

dvd182 08-16-05 09:28 AM

I'm doing this with Buffy; it'll be nice to get them all in one shot.

dadaluholla 08-16-05 09:40 AM

It doesn't look like I'll ever get x-files so I would probably get a whole set of all seasons if it was a good price.

forumsmy 08-16-05 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
All depends on the show. I kinda wish i didn't buy each season of Buffy and Angel because i kinda wished i could just roll right through the entire series without having to stop for 6 months in between. With some shows i kinda wish they would just release all the seasons at the same time, because if another show pulls a Mad About You i'm gonna get pissed.

I probably missed something here -- what happened with Mad About You. If you could enlighten me please.

Thanks.

Kocheese99 08-16-05 10:09 AM

basically what happened is they put out the first two seasons, then there was a long delay, then they decided to put out a "Best of Mad About you" dvd set which was 3 disks if i remember right.Problem was that it contained alot of the same episodes that the first two seasons had. What makes it worse is that if that set bombed, they probably won't put out anymore seasons. So the people who bought the first two seasons kinda got screwed.

* if you want to see the reaction the fans had on the Mad About you sets, check out amazon. It kinda interesting.

bboisvert 08-16-05 10:11 AM

Mad About You has apparently stopped releasing full seasons. Season 2 came out 2.5 years ago. Earlier this year, they released a collection of random "favorite" episodes.

asianxcore 08-16-05 10:42 AM

although expensive, I'm waiting to do this with Six Feet Under.

Mopower 08-16-05 10:49 AM

No. I dont feel like waiting 10 years before I can buy all the sets at once. Well 20 years if you're talking about The Simpsons.

obscurelabel 08-16-05 11:11 AM

I was on the fence with the Image Dick Van Dyke Show, but when it came out in a complete series set after the season sets had all been released, at a much lower per-episode price, I took the plunge and got the whole series. I'm going to wait with The Twilight Zone and see if Image does the same thing. Of course this is easier to put up with if the series isn't in production any more.

Conversely, I didn't wait on SCTV and have gotten the individual sets that Shout!Factory have put out. If this is ever released in a complete series set (would probably have to wait for HD/BluRay given the volume of material) I would gladly double dip as it is my favorite series ever (minor edits and changes on the DVD sets aside).

fitprod 08-16-05 01:54 PM

I've been doing this with certain series, espeically those that are not high on my "must buy" list.

I done this with Paramount product since they seem to be really good about doing this stuff. I think they've also finally figured out that selling a complet set, for the same price as the individual sets bought seperately, doesn't fly.

fitprod

MasterofDVD 08-16-05 02:31 PM

I find it too hard to wait for most shows to be released. Also it's easier for me to spend the money on one season here and another there instead of dropping the larger amount at once for the whole series.

These big box releases really don't impress me much yet. The Friends box is nice but I don't feel like I'm missing much. The Sex and the City set looks like hell even if they replaced those awful cases with something that actually functions as a proper case.

maingon 08-16-05 03:25 PM

i dont think i would do that, its easier to buy them when the come out and you can watch a season take a break from the show, and then you get to lookforward to the next release

nemein 08-16-05 03:44 PM

If I like the show I usually buy it as it comes out. I have on occasion purchased complete collections of some shows that I have less of an interest in (but still interested in seeing), but I found a good deal on ;)

critterdvd 08-16-05 06:15 PM

X-Files

Sopranos

Queer as Folk

tommyp007 08-16-05 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
It doesn't look like I'll ever get x-files so I would probably get a whole set of all seasons if it was a good price.

That's what I was doing, then I jumped on the $49.99 deal Best Buy did a couple of months ago and got all 9 seasons. $500, but still that's pract. half price.

ernestrp 08-16-05 06:25 PM

I'am finially getting some I Love Lucy!!! The seasons 1-5 set that was released today, I think there is still a 6th season but I can get that later if it ever comes out.

Does anyone remeber what the MSRP was of the 1st season of I love Lucy was? I seem to remeber it was like 150.00 or maybe that was what places were selling it for. I do remeber it being rather high, at that time.

garmonbozia 08-16-05 06:57 PM

No. I can't think of any shows available on dvd, that I want on dvd, that I have not started buying already....and so far, the packaging of these complete show sets don't seem all that appealing to me, so I'll be sticking with what I already have.

MovieExchange 08-16-05 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp
I'am finially getting some I Love Lucy!!! The seasons 1-5 set that was released today, I think there is still a 6th season but I can get that later if it ever comes out.

Does anyone remeber what the MSRP was of the 1st season of I love Lucy was? I seem to remeber it was like 150.00 or maybe that was what places were selling it for. I do remeber it being rather high, at that time.

Bestbuy.com had two listings for season 1, one was an insanely high price, the other was the actual one. It was probably a typo, not MSRP.

Anyhow, if you have the patience, just wait for the next DDD sale (probably mid to late November). Good prices when it comes around.

joliom 08-16-05 11:31 PM

A lot of my friends have held off on Season 1 of Twin Peaks to see what Paramount is planning to do now that they hold the rights. They're concerned that Paramount might release an all-new version of the Season 1 set - possibly with the original broadcast pilot included if they can manage to license it from WB - or a release with both seasons packaged together as one big set. Truth be told, I would have done the same thing if I had had any idea that Artisan was going to fail to release Season 2 and I'd be left pissing in the wind for 4 years. Unfortunately, I was dumb enough to buy Season 1 on release day. Honestly, it's probably better to wait and see if the studios will follow through and release every single season of a TV show before committing to buying any of them (unless you can live with an incomplete set, that is); especially for shows that are serials or have continuing story arcs. Nothing's more frustrating than that.

cynthia 08-17-05 09:07 AM

I wait with A&E Shows because they almost always release them in megasets later.

movie diva 08-17-05 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dadaluholla

Thats what I thought,but Costco has them for 65.00 with a 20.00 rebate at the register so I just purchased the first season last Saturday.Check around the price has gone down .

Snowmaker 08-17-05 11:01 AM

I bought all the Futuramas all at once. Just finished the last episode last night. I think I prefer a break in between sets so I can watch other show sets rather than go through a whole series at once (even thought I got all the Futurama sets for $15-20 a piece). Now I'll watch Simpsons S6 and finish in plenty of time for South Park S6.

mifuneral 08-17-05 11:10 AM

If it's something I like enough to buy on dvd, I usually have a hard enough time just waiting for the season sets, to say nothing of the complete series set.