Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody holding out on a TV season to get the entire series?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anybody holding out on a TV season to get the entire series?

Old 08-17-05, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by joliom
A lot of my friends have held off on Season 1 of Twin Peaks to see what Paramount is planning to do now that they hold the rights. They're concerned that Paramount might release an all-new version of the Season 1 set - possibly with the original broadcast pilot included if they can manage to license it from WB - or a release with both seasons packaged together as one big set.
I don't have one regret for buying the season 1 set, the quality is AMAZING on it. Yes, it doesn't have the pilot, but it'd be cool if they just released a Pilot DVD and a season 2 DVD.

Of course if they do a "complete series" set, I'll definitely buy it.
Old 08-17-05, 12:20 PM
Banned

I've seen that the Star Trek TV full collection sets come with a exclusive tray so i'm waiting in hopes Enterprise will do the same thing. I have the tray for TOS and it looks cool and keeps those cases from falling over on the shelf.

I like what they did with Mad About You. IMO the series wasn't that strong, especially the end, and I'm glad to have some of the best ones. Much better than buying all the seasons for the few gems IMO.

What would be really sweet is some kind of iTunes deal where you could pick the episodes you like. I would go broke, but it would be better than buying fulls seasons when you want only the real memorable ones.
Old 08-17-05, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
basically what happened is they put out the first two seasons, then there was a long delay, then they decided to put out a "Best of Mad About you" dvd set which was 3 disks if i remember right.Problem was that it contained alot of the same episodes that the first two seasons had. What makes it worse is that if that set bombed, they probably won't put out anymore seasons. So the people who bought the first two seasons kinda got screwed.

* if you want to see the reaction the fans had on the Mad About you sets, check out amazon. It kinda interesting.
Thanks! and the Amazon customer reviews was interesting reading - some liked the show but not the DVD treatment and many passionate about it to an addiction, so to speak. The "selected episodes" was really hit hard like you said and from a later poster, the last DVD was released almost 3 years ago. That ain't right - I just hope they do nto do that to my shows. That is the worst to tease and then leave ya hangin.

Last edited by forumsmy; 08-17-05 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-17-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not worried about most of my incomplete TV series like Seinfeld, The Twilight Zone, South Park, or King of the Hill - they're just way too popular to get cut short. But if they pull that crap with Miami Vice, Tales from the Crypt or Night Gallery, I'm gonna explode!
Old 08-18-05, 01:27 AM

I think it depends on the particular set.

I've bought/buying the Combat TV series for about $24 each from DDD. 10 * $24= $240. They have announced the whole set for $300. It depends on what the street price of the set will be. I really dont see it being much cheaper than $240.

In general I think sets are a little cheaper but not significantly. Any advantage would be extra material that might be incuded with the complete set. The sets I've bought are just the original DVD's in a collectors box. The collectors box being the only bonus.
Old 08-18-05, 12:36 PM

I m buying TV sets that I know will more than likly be a complete run like The Simpsons and Family Guy. Others I am holding back for various reasons such as posiible music changes (Miami Vice), price (X-Files), box sets (Cheers) and finding out if the sets contain Syndication runs. Syndication runs will be an immediate disqualification for me getting the set. Music changes on the other hand have to be evaluated on a case by case bassis. During an episode of a show, if an 8 second scene in an elevator has a music change and the music has nothing to do with the charecters or movement of the eposode than I will probaly over look the change. But in shows that the music is important to the feel of the show (Miami Vice) and a change is made than I will not get the set (anybody looking for NX seasons 1&2).

My wife is stuck with the Mad About You DVDs. While she enjoys them it just kills me knowing she will not complete the set. That being said, I am mostly holding out on TV shows until I get what I want.
Old 08-18-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
No. I can't think of any shows available on dvd, that I want on dvd, that I have not started buying already.

This is pretty much my problem. Virtually every show I want I have already started collecting, so it looks like I'll be buying one at a time.
Old 08-18-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

No, because in many cases, I'm only interested in certain seasons of a television series. For example, West Wing S1-S3.
Old 08-21-05, 12:46 AM

I like to spread it out a bit. Think if you received all 5 seasons of The Sopranos at one time, or even worse, Fox's 24. I don't think I would get any sleep for 2 weeks straight.

Now if you have already seen the series in question and are just buying the sets for archiving, then that's another story.
Old 08-21-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only waited on Babylon 5 because at the beginning they kept talking about waiting to see how well they sold. Because the series had a 5 season story arc I didn't want to be stuck with just the first 2 seasons and never have the end of the story.