Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

why aren't the online stores selling different Sin City covers?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-05, 06:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked on both Amazon and Dvdempire and no differnet covers of Sin City just the group cover. Why?
Old 08-15-05, 07:06 PM

i don't know online retailers specific policy regarding slipcovers, but id imagine they just send you a random cover if you order online.
Old 08-15-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally Posted by feral125
I have looked on both Amazon and Dvdempire and no differnet covers of Sin City just the group cover. Why?
you're kidding, right?

the image you see there is the cover art under the slipcover.
Old 08-15-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I'm sure its random, mine from DDDVD was the Nancy/Hartigan slipcover.
Old 08-15-05, 09:59 PM

These slipcases are nothing more than a gimmick to entice those who are "on the purchase decision fence" to buy when the UBER version is on the horizon...

- Christian
Old 08-15-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Considering 90% of the public have no idea that a special edition is on the horizon, I doubt that's what they are trying to do.
Old 08-15-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is probably the only reason I haven't ordered it online yet, as if I get it, I want Marv and no one else. If there was an way to specify at online stores, I probably would have done it by now, especially with prices being reasonable.

I want to wait for the SE mind you, I just want this movie so much it is hard to do.
Old 08-16-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For $14.99 and a set of movie cards, I couldn't resist, knowing full well that I will be buying the SE as well...
Old 08-16-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because online stores have no idea which cover they'll get. Sin City only has one UPC so you can't tell the distributor to send you a copy of The Alba cover. The guy controlling who gets what cover is literally the guy in the warehouse who drops the dvd into the shipping container.

D
Old 08-16-05, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Derrich
Because online stores have no idea which cover they'll get. Sin City only has one UPC so you can't tell the distributor to send you a copy of The Alba cover. The guy controlling who gets what cover is literally the guy in the warehouse who drops the dvd into the shipping container.

D
I dont know about that.....Yes, it might be the same UPC, but I bet there is some organization to it. I bet stores will have a nice selection....Maybe they pacakage them in the shipping boxes to the stores in 4s.

I doubt that a certain store would end up with just one type cover.
Old 08-16-05, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I doubt that a certain store would end up with just one type cover.
When I bought mine at the local Target this morning, they had maybe 50 copies, and they were all the Alba cover.
Old 08-16-05, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by hermes10
When I bought mine at the local Target this morning, they had maybe 50 copies, and they were all the Alba cover.
Thats interesting...I wonder if they actually did something like printed 60% Hartigan/Nancy, 20% Marv/Goldie, 10% Dwight/Gail and 5% Jackie boy/Shellie.

It would be interesting to know for collectors.
Old 08-16-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by hermes10
they were all Nancy/Hartigan?

the Target I went to in the morning had a mix of stuff, but listing from the most they had to the least, it went like,

1. Nancy/Hartigan
2. Jackie Boy/Shelley
3. Dwight/Gail
4. Marv/Goldie
Old 08-16-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I went to Fry's. They had all 4 covers. I'm not sure how many they had of each, but they were split up. Assuming all four started out full in their spaces, the main ones that were selling were the Marv/Goldie cover and the Hartigan/Nancy cover. It didn't like more than one or two of the other covers had sold.

I chose Marv because that was my favorite part of the movie, but I considered the Hartigan/Nancy cover d/t the Alba hotness factor.
Old 08-16-05, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ginwen
Alba hotness factor.
yeah, they need a sole Alba cover.

Someone at the den?
Old 08-16-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Derrich

D
Did the Reservoir Dogs covers have different UPC numbers? If I remember right, online stores gave the customer the chocie of covers.
Old 08-16-05, 03:23 PM
Cool New Member

When I was at The Wal*Mart this morning (I hate The Wal*Mart, but it's the only store here open 24/7, and I needed my Sin City fix) I had to dig through at least a hundred copies before I found a good copy of Dwight/Gail. They had dozens of Hartigan/Nancy, and quite a few Marv/Goldie. They had a whole row of Jackie Boy/Shellie, but I swear they only had two or three D/G's.
Old 08-16-05, 03:39 PM

I really hope people are just buying one DVD with the cover they like vs. buying all four. Why would anyone need 4 of the exact same disc? And at $15 a pop!?

For a couple of bucks, you can buy a few blank cases and download/print the various covers.
Old 08-16-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kal Varnsen
Did the Reservoir Dogs covers have different UPC numbers? If I remember right, online stores gave the customer the chocie of covers.
Yes, they had different UPCs. That's why you could choose online.

But Sin City doesn't -- Derrich is exactly right. Online stores use warehouse facilities to ship stuff out and these places need unique codes (UPCs or whatever) to designate product. Since the only difference between the 4 covers is literally the picture on the front, there's no reasonable way for Amazon, DDD, DVDPlanet, whatever to sell them individually. To the warehouse/shipper, they're all identical product. It's luck of the draw.
Old 08-16-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by masetodd
I really hope people are just buying one DVD with the cover they like vs. buying all four. Why would anyone need 4 of the exact same disc? And at $15 a pop!?

For a couple of bucks, you can buy a few blank cases and download/print the various covers.
The same sort of people who bought all four covers of Reservoir Dogs. Obsessive fanboys will spend money for just about anything, and justify it by touting it's collectability....hey, whatever turns yer crank.

Last edited by nightmaster; 08-16-05 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-16-05, 06:14 PM

About half the ones at walmart was the alba cover, and the other half where a mix of the other three (I only saw one of the cover with Britney Murphey)
Old 08-16-05, 06:17 PM

Circuit City only had one more of the Jackie Boy cover (the one i wanted) left. The rest were a mix of the rest, with Alba being the majority. BTW, when you guys say lithograph posters, are you talking about those little lobby card looking things? Cause thats what i got? Pretty cool for a freebie, and fit right in the case.
Old 08-16-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Thats interesting...I wonder if they actually did something like printed 60% Hartigan/Nancy, 20% Marv/Goldie, 10% Dwight/Gail and 5% Jackie boy/Shellie.

It would be interesting to know for collectors.
It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make a certain number of each cover according to how many people they think will want each one. Also keep in mind that some stores may have a fairly even distribution of the covers, but the employees may have only put out predominately one cover. Especially if the boxes all had just one cover. A lot stores not pushing dvds will not care about having all the covers out.
Old 08-16-05, 07:18 PM

the target I went to were all
15 Hartigan
2 Dwight
1 Jackie Boy (got it!)

the costco next to it had
all Marv or Hartigan
Old 08-16-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by asianxcore
they were all Nancy/Hartigan?

the Target I went to in the morning had a mix of stuff, but listing from the most they had to the least, it went like,

1. Nancy/Hartigan
2. Jackie Boy/Shelley
3. Dwight/Gail
4. Marv/Goldie
this is what i found at my target as well -- i picked up the last/only marv.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.