Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Due to the cost, I've been checking these out from my local library. Just finished Series 3 last night. I watched a lot of Doctor Who in the 80s starting with Tom Baker and went all the way up to part of Sylvester McCoy. I think this new series has been quite good, and look forward to Series 4.
Old 10-22-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rmick
Odds are good that the release of series 4 will line up with the sale we do no speak of, no?
Possibly.....Hopefully....
Old 10-28-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Restoration Team has put up info for the upcoming Battlefield release.
Old 10-28-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Hmmm, I always thought this was an interesting idea that was pretty badly implimented. So I'm REALLY curious about the extended movie version. Guess I'll have to wait til we get some reviews to decide whether its worth taking a chance on.
Old 10-29-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve Manfred just reported that the Key to Time box set is being re-released as a Special Edition for Region 1 on March 3, 2009. It's got 7 discs and replaces the original release.

Here's a link to the Restoration Team's article on the work they did on it - The Key To Time: Special Edition

Old 10-29-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and on a sidenote -

Official: David Tennant Leaving DW After TV Specials

David Tennant will be leaving Doctor Who at the conclusion of the 2009 specials currently in production, the actor announced live on stage this evening at the National Television Awards.

The Guardian newspaper this evening broke the story prematurely, reporting on their website (in a report subsequently pulled down) that Tennant is "vacating the TARDIS and leaving the BBC's Doctor Who series at the end of next year. Tennant's decision brings to an end his popular four-year tenure as the time lord." The article went on to say that the BBC had confirmed that the actor "would complete the filming of four special episodes to be screened this year and in early 2010, as well as 2009's Christmas special."

The BBC Doctor Who website has now posted the full news: "I've had the most brilliant, bewildering and life changing time working on Doctor Who. I have loved every day of it," the actor says. "It would be very easy to cling on to the TARDIS console forever and I fear that if I don't take a deep breath and make the decision to move on now, then I simply never will. ... I'm still the Doctor all next year but when the time finally comes I'll be honoured to hand on the best job in the world to the next lucky git - whoever that may be." Tennant added that he "always thought the time to leave would be in conjunction with Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner who have been such a huge part of it all for me. Steven Moffat is the most brilliant and exciting writer, the only possible successor to Russell and it was sorely tempting to be part of his amazing new plans for the show. I will be there, glued to my TV when his stories begin in 2010." He furthermore says that he feels "very privileged to have been part of this incredible phenomenon, and whilst I'm looking forward to new challenges I know I'll always be very proud to be the Tenth Doctor." Says Russell T Davies, "I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years - and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left! After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching!"

Says the BBC News site, Tennant is quoted as saying, "I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair." Tennant also says, "I think it's better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than to hang around and outstay your welcome," he said.

Tennant will appear in this year's Christmas special, as well as four specials being produced for 2009 and 2010 airdates by executive producers Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner. Tennant confirmed to BBC News that the four specials for 2009/2010 will be "the four last stories that I do." New incoming executive producer Steven Moffat will then take over the series with new leads as the show returns for a normal, fifth series of episodes in 2010.

More details as they come in...
Old 10-29-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

* Insert Darth Vaderish "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" here. *
Old 10-30-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve Manfred just reported that the Key to Time box set is being re-released as a Special Edition for Region 1 on March 3, 2009. It's got 7 discs and replaces the original release.

Here's a link to the Restoration Team's article on the work they did on it - The Key To Time: Special Edition

I'm excited to pick this one up. I remember loving the Key to Time series as a kid, so I look forward to watching it again. It also looks like it's a compact size package which is nice for saving my shelf space.
Old 10-30-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Details on the KTT set:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...-Time-SE/10782
Old 10-30-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That KTT packaging looks like a mock-up. I wonder if it will be a box with separate cases, or a cool 7-disc case which contains the whole season?
Old 10-30-08, 12:08 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Since I used to watch the show on PBS, I much prefer the "movie" format to the serialized versions.

Glad I put off buying the Key To Time box...

And how sad I'll be to see Tennant go!
Old 10-30-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tennant is amazing. There's no other way to describe his performance in the role. He's the first Doctor to pull the mainstream away from Tom Baker's Doctor (IMO). I was actually stunned after reading the news yesterday. I really expected him to stick around for at least one more series/season.

I'm looking forward to the new Key to Time set. I already own the older one but still want this badly.
Old 10-30-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Steve Manfred's connection:

PACKAGING DETAILS:

- The box set will be in a slim-tray digistack inside a slipcase. It will also contain a booklet that incorporates the copy that was in the six UK inserts.

- The single stories will be available separately in standard Amaray cases. "Ribos" through "Kroll" will be 1-discers, and "Armageddon Factor" will be a 2-discer.

- The old set will be allowed to dwindle in supply for now and then after March 3 retailers will no longer be able to order it.

Also, this will be our only release for March. No other individual classics in that month.
Old 11-10-08, 10:14 PM

Bargains thread is listing that Best Buy will have exclusive steelbook packaging for Season 4. $69.99.
Old 11-11-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait for that Steelbook!
Old 11-16-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd appreciate a response on teh steelbook if anybody has one: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/54...1-18-08-a.html
Old 11-17-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
I'd appreciate a response on teh steelbook if anybody has one: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/54...1-18-08-a.html

It's gonna be a regular Steelbook with the six discs inside. The usual booklet that comes with each season will be snot-glued to the outside (meaning it won't fit inside the actual case).
Old 11-17-08, 12:31 PM

It's gonna be a regular Steelbook with the six discs inside. The usual booklet that comes with each season will be snot-glued to the outside (meaning it won't fit inside the actual case).
Eh... sounds like a good enough reason to save the extra $25 it will cost over the "normal" set via the DDD sale and just order it from them tomorrow.
Old 11-17-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The usual booklet that comes with each season will be snot-glued to the outside.
That's the first time I've ever heard the term snot-glued. That's awesome.
Old 11-17-08, 05:58 PM

Ok, now Im confused.....which cover art are we getting?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ries&nrp=15&p=[promotion%2C+synonymns]&_D%3Ap=+&pu=defaultusr&_D%3Apu=+&pt=1226815201&iht=n&_DARGS=%2Fsite%2Fen_US%2Fsearch%2Ffragments%2Fincludes%2Folssearchparameters.jsp.frmSearchResults
Old 11-17-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Yellow Honey Comb one is an HMV Exclusive (Region 2). It even has the 12 Rating on the cover.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProduct...;-1&sku=858311

Our regular cover is the purple one. Maybe the Steelbook will look like the R2 exclusive?

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-17-08 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dang it. I don't know if I want to go get it today with the steelbook or get it through DD sale and save $25 and wait. I think I'm leaning towards the steelbook simply because I like the cover better.
Old 11-18-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No question for me, would rather save my money, ordered S4 off DDD this morning for $48.xx shipped.

How often do you really look at the box art?
Is the artwork really worth the extra money?
Old 11-18-08, 01:29 PM

Some pics of the Steelbook!

And yes I got it for $38.73! It pays to get up early. Looks like it was a price mistake and they had to manually adjust it at the register.

Old 11-18-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lucky! All the copies at my BB had no sticker price. In fact, some of them had a sticky residue where they use to sit. I wondered what it was. Now I know.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.