Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

An in-the-know fellow on Roobarb's (Mr Sheen) says that the new "remastering" isn't all that much (just some dust-n-speckle cleanup, that's all), so if you're tempted to double-dip, don't do it based on the remastering. Do it for the bonus features, if they interest you.

Me? I'll be taking a pass on this one. I don't listen to a huge amount of commentaries and the picture quality was fine first time out, so this is a "no" from me.

I know people are also wondering about whether there'll be an SE for Web of Fear (especially since, apparently, Dr. Who Magazine are saying another home video release will be announced next month), but unless the missing episode 3 has turned up, I'll probably skip that one, too, even if the reconstruction is replaced by an animation.

Of course, it could also be the rumoured Season 12 blu-ray that DWM are talking about (another ill-advised idea, IMO).

Last edited by mythmaker18; 02-09-18 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

With "Web of Fear," we know that the miaaing third episode is out there somewhere, so they probably won't bother animating it.

That that episode was (presumably) stolen and sold really makes me wonder what might be out there in the hands of collectors. Before that ep went missing, I always thought that the rumors of private collectors hoarding missing episodes was just a conspiracy theory, but now it makes me wonder...
Old 03-24-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

The Doctor Who: Tom Baker Complete First Season Blu-ray has been officially announced.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...ason-Blu/24059

List of Extras:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...ason-Blu/24038
  • Existing Extras:
    • Existing bonus material from the original DVD's
    • Brand New Bonus Features:
    • Brand new one hour candid interview: 'Tom Baker in conversation'
    • Behind The Sofa: classic clips from Season 12 viewed by Tom Baker, Philip Hinchcliffe, Louise Jameson, Janet Fielding, Sarah Sutton and Sadie Miller
    • New making-of documentaries for 'The Sontaran Experiment' and 'Revenge of the Cybermen'
    • Optional brand new updated special effects for Revenge of the Cybermen
    • Genesis of the Daleks: omnibus movie version
    • The Tom Baker Years: VHS release on disc for the first time
    • Production archive material and scripts from the BBC Archives
    • Some other archive treats to be announced

BBC's listing says all the episodes have been "specially restored" for this release:
https://shop.bbc.com/doctor-who-tom-...son-21204.html

US release calls it "Season 1," meaning the first Tom Baker season, while UK release calls it "Series 12," meaning 12th series in the show overall.

Pre-orders look to be a very important indicator to BBC on whether they should continue with other seasons:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....5#post14831675
A message from Steve Roberts for those who can't decide which region to go with:

This is a bit of a heads-up for US fans... There's now a confirmed release date of 26th of June in the States. It would be incredibly helpful if you could get your pre-orders in (it's on Amazon already, I imagine it's also on other retail sites) sooner rather than later. America is a really big linchpin in the future of this Blu-ray range, so strong pre-order sales will help create confidence in the range and encourage early commissioning of the next set. Spread the word!
Old 03-25-18, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm going UK for this release (tho I live in the States). Steve Roberts follow up comments cemented my decision (since I'm 50Hz capable). (He was responding to others. Not me).

Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
I'm fairly sure that your single order isn't going to have any impact on this debate. My post was aimed at those US fans for whom the US release is the only sensible option. If you're 50Hz capable, I'd definitely recommend sticking with the UK release.

I really think you're putting your own spin on what was said. For the record, all I said was:

" It would be incredibly helpful if you could get your pre-orders in (it's on Amazon already, I imagine it's also on other retail sites) sooner rather than later. America is a really big linchpin in the future of this Blu-ray range, so strong pre-order sales will help create confidence in the range and encourage early commissioning of the next set. "

At no point did I imply "order now or there won't be any more."
Old 03-25-18, 12:14 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Is there any good reason to go with the UK release other than the better-proper season naming?

Same content right, only other difference is the 50Hz?

I'm leaning towards going with US from Amazon for now, as it's cheaper (or until it pops up cheaper elsewhere during the pre-order wait).
Old 03-25-18, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Is there any good reason to go with the UK release other than the better-proper season naming?

Same content right, only other difference is the 50Hz?

I'm leaning towards going with US from Amazon for now, as it's cheaper (or until it pops up cheaper elsewhere during the pre-order wait).

Same content. Only difference is the name and the 50Hz. And it's a few bucks cheaper right now.

If you can't play 50Hz, go with the US release.

Here's a bit more from Steve Roberts about 50Hz v 60Hz.

There's no speed up involved in a standards conversion from 50 to 60, it's purely down to compatibility with historic local video standards, which still get in the way even now. The UK 50Hz release will always be the more faithful, as the frame rate matches the native frame rate of the original material. If you have equipment that can play 50Hz Zone B Blu-rays then the UK discs are the best choice. That's no different to the advice we gave with the DVD range.
Old 03-27-18, 02:49 PM

I'll also add this: if you're not sure whether you can play 50hz content (both HD and PAL), then you should not go for the UK set until you are absolutely sure.

This is not simply just a player issue. It also relates to the make/model of TV you are connecting the player to. Many US televisions will not play nice with 50hz material at all. In that case, you'd need a player capable of converting the 50hz signal to 60hz (thereby defeating the benefits of the UK set) just to even watch it.

Also, if you have such a TV set and your player doesn't do the built-in conversion, you are completely out of luck.

For those who are unaware, the whole reason they are making the US release 60i rather than 24fps is that if they did the latter, the picture and sound would run 4 percent slower than it should (the exact opposite problem as "PAL speedup" when US theatrical films are/were converted to PAL for DVD and VHS release). Also, 24fps (switching from the original interlaced to progressive) would cause the studio scenes to lose their original shot-on-tape look.
Old 03-29-18, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've got all of Tom Baker on DVD, so I don't think I'd pick this up, but I hope it sells well enough that they animate the rest of the missing episodes for the First and Second Doctors and also put some of the other discs back in print. All I need is the ones below and the prices are nuts on them.

And that cover art does look pretty neat.
Old 03-30-18, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
... and also put some of the other discs back in print. All I need is the ones below and the prices are nuts on them.
To be fair, none of the stories are out-of-print in the UK. That's just down to the decision-making at the BBC's US office. So, in your case, the only way of getting these back in-print Stateside is with these season-by-season re-releases.
Old 05-23-18, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A marathon of all almost all Classic Doctor Who episodes starts on Twitch on May 29.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/a...-week-marathon
Over 500 classic episodes from the 26 seasons of classic Doctor Who will air worldwide on the live streaming video platform Twitch from May 29th.

Fans will be able to watch adventures from the first seven Doctors – from 1963’s An Unearthly Child to 1989’s Survival – while chatting live to thousands of other viewers around the world.

This epic screening of classic Doctor Who from May 29th until July 23rd follows Twitch’s successful marathons of Power Rangers, Bob Ross: The Joy of Painting and Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

In addition to the episodes being screened in blocks - three times a day, around the world, completely free - fans can also enjoy a heap of exclusive Twitch content.

Doctor Who emotes

Viewers who subscribe to the TwitchPresents channel will gain access to a pack of exclusive emojis, themed around the classic Doctors. Who needs words when you can react with a bemused Sixth Doctor?

There will be prizes

For fans in the US, UK, and Canada, Twitch is hosting a giveaway each week of the event, including a grand prize trip to London Comic-Con. For details on how to enter and full terms and conditions visit: https://watch.twitch.tv/DoctorWhoSweepstakes.

Pre-show content hosted by Yogscast

Join leading UK digital content creators The Yogscast for a series of exclusive specials, introducing each era of the show - the highs, the lows, the behind the scenes stories, the monsters and the gaffes. With a cast of Doctor Who screenwriters, experts, fans, and even a former companion, the Yogscast's Turps, and resident Doctor Who expert Matt Toffolo discuss why modern audiences should LOVE classic Doctor Who (as if we needed a reason!).

Mark your 500 Year Diaries! Starting May 29th, you can tune in each day, Monday to Friday from 11am Pacific US / 7pm UK to catch episodes on Twitch.tv/TwitchPresents.

Also, not DVD but related, There have been 5 new "Target novelizations" produced, the first in 24 years. 4 cover episodes from the new series, while one is for City of Death, which was never previously a Target novelization, although it's apparently an abridged version of the James Goss novelization from a few years ago. Stephen Moffat and Russell T Davies each wrote one of the novelizations themselves.

The books are already available in the UK and in the US as an ebook, but the US paperbacks aren't out until June 19.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/a...ns-on-the-way/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer...SIN=1785943278

Edit: not all episodes, as Josh-da-man points out below.

Last edited by Jay G.; 05-24-18 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-24-18, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

^ Not all episodes.

I notice that a few Dalek ones aren't on the schedule: "Day of the Daleks" (Third Doctor) and the three Dalek stories post-Fourth Doctor (Resurrection, Revelation, and Remembrance). And "The Five Doctors" isn't on the list either.
Old 06-20-18, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Got my Doctor Who - Tom Baker Complete Season One set in today. Plugged in "The Sontaran Experiment" in for a taste. Audio on the 1st episode appears to be wonky; it's way, way too low, with some drop outs . Episode 2's volume is good, but it also has audio dropouts.

Can anyone else check their set to confirm this is a widespread problem? Color me unhappy that BBC would screw up such a high profile release.

Plugged in "Robot" and it's got audio dropouts too. I don't have the heart to check more. I'm afraid the whole set is probably compromised (unless it's my setup, but other blu's don't have audio dropout problems).

Last edited by coyoteblue; 06-20-18 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Got my Doctor Who - Tom Baker Complete Season One set in today. Plugged in "The Sontaran Experiment" in for a taste. Audio on the 1st episode appears to be wonky; it's way, way too low, with some drop outs . Episode 2's volume is good, but it also has audio dropouts.

Can anyone else check their set to confirm this is a widespread problem? Color me unhappy that BBC would screw up such a high profile release.

Plugged in "Robot" and it's got audio dropouts too. I don't have the heart to check more. I'm afraid the whole set is probably compromised (unless it's my setup, but other blu's don't have audio dropout problems).
There has been reported an "out of phase" issue with episode 1 of "Sontaran Experiment", but not with anything else.

Steve Roberts (DW Restoration Team):The problem is a polarity reversal of one channel of the audio. When one speaker cone is pushing out, the other is pulling in. Instead of centring the audio midway between the speakers, it throws it completely out into wide stereo. It might sound acceptable on a TV depending on your setup, but if you try to listen on headphones, it will probably make you feel ill (I'm not kidding).

Because surround information is encoded as phase differences, if you listen on a surround setup, all of the sound will come from the rear speakers. If you try to mitigate this by doing something like switching your system to All Speaker Mono, you'll get silence, because the amplifier adds together the left and right channels to create a mono channel before sending it out to each speaker. Because the two channels are completely out of phase, adding the two together completely cancels out the signal, producing silence. There is no good way to fix this, save listening in stereo mode and unplugging your left hand speaker and moving your right hand speaker to be in front of the TV.

We weren't given the opportunity [to do Quality Control ourselves]. As usual, there simply isn't enough time. Everything is done on too short a notice, every step of the way is left until the last minute. There is, however, a full QC done on each individual item by a professional QC company and on the discs by the authoring house, which is why the fact that this fault has got right through to replication is baffling everyone.

You can watch it in stereo mode and swap the speaker cable round on the back of one speaker to re-invert the inverted signal.
That is the only episode with reported problems. Probably explains the "low audio" you're getting, but not the drop-outs. Maybe those are to do with your setup?

For those who are wondering, this out-of-phase audio on "Sontaran Experiment 1" will also, unfortunately, be on the UK release.
Old 06-25-18, 02:22 PM

Here's some more bad news for buyers of the US set: there is a 40-minute documentary that is on the UK set but is NOT on the US set, because of music clearance issues.

It wasn't that the music was expensive...it was that it's not clearable in the US at any price, and the RT weren't informed of this until it was too late. Since the UK set hasn't been released yet, no one has reported what the two pieces of music are.
Old 06-25-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched "Robot" last night all the way through, and didn't have any audio issues.
Old 06-25-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Here's some more bad news for buyers of the US set: there is a 40-minute documentary that is on the UK set but is NOT on the US set, because of music clearance issues.

It wasn't that the music was expensive...it was that it's not clearable in the US at any price, and the RT weren't informed of this until it was too late. Since the UK set hasn't been released yet, no one has reported what the two pieces of music are.
This is where BD-Live would actually have a benefit. They could provide a download of an edit of the documentary with the two music cues changed for the US BD owners to view.

What's the missing documentary called, and what's it about?
Old 06-25-18, 02:47 PM

The missing documentary is The Doctor Who Times, described as "an exploration of contemporary British television".

I'm assuming contemporary to 1974/75 (i.e. examining what else was on during the same time period), but I really have no clue.
Old 06-25-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Every time I hear about something getting held up for music clearance issues, I want to nard-punch any musician who complains about downloading killing their profits.
Old 06-25-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There has been reported an "out of phase" issue with episode 1 of "Sontaran Experiment", but not with anything else.

That is the only episode with reported problems. Probably explains the "low audio" you're getting, but not the drop-outs. Maybe those are to do with your setup?

For those who are wondering, this out-of-phase audio on "Sontaran Experiment 1" will also, unfortunately, be on the UK release.
I found another player to test with and the other episodes I checked were fine. There's just something about this set that doesn't agree with my current player. Maybe an update will take care of it.
Old 06-30-18, 03:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't opened my set yet but this demands a recall.
Old 06-30-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I haven't opened my set yet but this demands a recall.
Or at least mail in for a replacement disc. But given that this is BBC America, they'd probably charge a $25 disc replacement fee.
Old 07-02-18, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Or at least mail in for a replacement disc. But given that this is BBC America, they'd probably charge a $25 disc replacement fee.
I don't know what the policy is for US Doctor Who releases (did they ever replace any of the DVDs?), but for all the previous UK disc replacements, anyone who purchased the Region 2/Region B releases (even if they live outside the UK) could mail back their defective disc for a corrected one. Though I'm in the US, all my Doctor Who DVDs and blu-rays are Region 2/Region B, and I have gotten replacements for every disc that an exchange was ever offered for.

The only downside is that anyone outside the UK has to pay the return postage themselves, but it's a small price to pay for a corrected disc.

Based on previous experience, I suspect that the Sontaran sound issue will probably be fixed for the UK via a disc exchange at least, but I can't speak for the US/Region A release. Usually, the UK get their stuff first and any mistakes are caught in time before a US release, but that's obviously not the case this time.
Old 07-02-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know what the policy is for US Doctor Who releases (did they ever replace any of the DVDs?
WB is the distributor of Doctor Who discs in the US. They did a disc exchange for some problem discs for Series 6 of New Who back in 2012.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=181683&page=4
Old 07-03-18, 12:42 PM

The UK set (at least) will be getting a disc exchange. Here's what they've had to say:

Thank you for contacting BBC DVD Support.

We will be offering replacements for the errors on Disc 3 (The Sontaran Experiment) and Disc 5 (Revenge of the Cybermen) in the Doctor Who The Collection Season 12 Blu-ray release.

In order to obtain a replacement, please email proof of purchase to this DVD Support line, in the form of a receipt from the retailer. If you do not have a receipt from the retailer, then please email a picture of the product with your full name and postal address in view.

The estimated time frame for the replacement to be available is 4-5 weeks. Please allow some time for the replacement disc to reach you.

Remember, this is what they've told a UK fan who contacted them by email.

If you are in the US, you should probably still contact them first (especially if you're asking about the US set). Their email address is [email protected].
Old 07-21-18, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only know about this because my DVR recorded it, but two days ago BBC America aired the Shada partially-animated reconstruction. It's still available on the BBCA site (cable subscription/login required).

http://www.bbcamerica.com/shows/doct...-episode-shada

My DVR captured it under the title "The Lost Episode". It ran 3 hours with commercials.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.