Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Doctor Who Complete Series 6 Boxset showcases a wealth of added bonus material including 13 Doctor Who Confidential’s for each episode, last year’s Christmas episode, A Christmas Carol, 4 Monster Files and 4 episode commentaries. Also, never been seen before, five specially written and created mini episodes entitled Night and the Doctor – a series of short films written by show frontrunner Steven Moffat exclusively for the DVD release.
Are the "Space" and "Time" shorts not included, then?
Old 09-28-11, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Well this is somewhat sad news:

The producer of the behind-the-scenes documentary series Doctor Who Confidential, Zoe Rushton, has confirmed on Twitter that the show will no longer be produced by the BBC. The final edition of the show, which follows the production of the 2011 Christmas Special, will be broadcast in the festive season after the episode itself has aired.

Reasons for the show's cancellation have been cited by the Guardian newspaper as being financial in nature, with the BBC having to engage in several cost-cutting exercises to meet its tighter budget. Part of this initiative has been a 're-alignment' of programming on BBC3, with controller Zai Bennett commenting at last month's Edinburgh International Television Festival that "it's about focusing my budget on 9pm and 10pm; those are the time slots that count. Budgets are tight, so we have to be sensible with the money we have." Further details about BBC3 changes are expected to be outlined by the Director General, Mark Thompson on 6th October.
It does make sense, and I think all involved seem to understand that. Plus whenever I saw viewing figures for the program it was quite low 1M or less.

I wonder how or if this will impact the cost of the DVD sets since some of this content has been included as extras.
Old 09-28-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Are the "Space" and "Time" shorts not included, then?

I read another announcement that said they were included.

EDIT: Here it is - From Outpost Gallifrey:

Also included with the release are last year's festive treat, A Christmas Carol, the Comic Relief mini-episode Space & Time, and the five series preludes released online through the BBC's Doctor Who site; though not listed in the press release, the Script to Screen mini-episode Death is the Only Answer is also expected to be included. The set also sees the addition of five new mini-episodes, themed "Night and the Doctor", which have been written exclusively for the release by Steven Moffat, plus a special Confidential to accompany them, The Night's Tale.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 09-28-11 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-30-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I guess I never realized that Confidential was a full length episode for every episode of Who. I mean, it's nice for the fans, but there's gotta be a point where it's overkill.
Old 10-17-11, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up the set of the two mid-60s Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies on R2. I can see why they're not really canon, since Doctor Who isn't an alien in these, but I thought they were both fun and entertaining, with some nice sets and effects, score, etc. "Dalekmania" is a decent extra feature.
Old 10-17-11, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Picked up the set of the two mid-60s Peter Cushing Doctor Who movies on R2. I can see why they're not really canon, since Doctor Who isn't an alien in these, but I thought they were both fun and entertaining, with some nice sets and effects, score, etc. "Dalekmania" is a decent extra feature.
I had previously dismissed them for not being canon, but I once read a speculation that they were the adventures of the aged 10.5 (grown from the hand) Doctor in the other dimension. Just might make me pick that set up someday...
Old 10-17-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I had previously dismissed them for not being canon, but I once read a speculation that they were the adventures of the aged 10.5 (grown from the hand) Doctor in the other dimension. Just might make me pick that set up someday...
LOL!!! I never heard that. Oh my God, that's awesome!!
Old 10-18-11, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I have the Anchor Bay R1 release of that set (thanks to this thread, actually, since it introduced me to Mike's Comics).

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Even with them not being canon, I still enjoyed them.
Old 10-19-11, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like that the UK already got the Season 6 part 2 release on October 10th, but it won't be out in the US/Canada until November 8th. The whole point of the vanilla releases was to get them out as quickly as possible after airing. I will wait for the full series 6 boxset instead.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 10-20-11 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-26-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Shada is coming next year....

Today, 1:24 PM

2|Entertain, via @ClassicDW
2|Entertain have revealed plans for the DVD release of the incomplete Fourth Doctor adventure Shada, which would have been the finale to the seventeenth season back in 1980; commenting on Twitter via ClassicDW:
Plans are to release the SHADA fragments together with MORE THAN THIRTY YEARS in a box filled with other content goodies! Likely 2012.

Development for this DVD includes the usual making-of feature (as illustrated), with Chris Chapman reporting: "To further whet your appetites, our Shada doco is called Death Comes to Time and was shot (mostly) on location in Cambridge!"
Old 10-26-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hope they've used some kind of animation to fill in the blanks. I just can't get interested in buying those "lost episode" sets.
Old 10-27-11, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"More Than Thirty Years in the TARDIS"? That's a really good documentray.
Old 10-27-11, 10:56 AM

Not alot of information is known about Shada at the moment, all that I have heard is that Ian Levine's personally produced animation for Shada has been turned down by Dan Hall and 2|E.

I haven't seen any of it so I can't judge the quality, but the caps looked nice so who knows why they didn't go ahead with it.
Old 10-27-11, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.starburstmagazine.com/fea...-the-shada-man

I'd really love to see this...
Old 10-28-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I can't think of any reason besides clashing egos that that footage wouldn't be used and that would be a damn shame as it looks fantastic.

Seriously hoping they do this release right. We're doing a big purge of our DVD collection at home, and Who is one of the few things I plan on keeping and I want every DVD to be worth it.
Old 11-02-11, 02:57 PM

I'm guessing that the Shada disc is what was released on VHS many years ago? If it is it was well done but by no means perfect.
Old 11-08-11, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by BasementArt
Not alot of information is known about Shada at the moment, all that I have heard is that Ian Levine's personally produced animation for Shada has been turned down by Dan Hall and 2|E.
Dan Hall didn't turn it down, according to comments he's since made at a convention. He said he liked Ian's efforts and hoped they'd one day be seen by a larger audience. My guess is someone higher-up at 2|e nixed it, or there were rights/clearance problems or something.

I'm guessing that the Shada disc is what was released on VHS many years ago? If it is it was well done but by no means perfect.
I don't think it's supposed to be just a straight reissue of that, but who knows. If not, one hopes they would at least include that version on a second disc for those who haven't seen it (or have since ditched their VHS copies). If not, I guess that particular VHS release will remain collectible!
Old 11-14-11, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After a long delay, I finally updated the first two posts.
Old 11-18-11, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3qN9X9tyHkw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-19-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-28-11, 01:18 AM

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on which Doctor Who DVDs I should buy next. At first I thought I would go one Doctor at a time, but not every Doctor has all their episodes out on DVD. A while back I bought all of the William Hartnell episodes that were out at the time, minus that Lost In Time set. Now I see there is another William Hartnell DVD coming out next year. Besides the William Hartnell DVDs I bought:

-Tom Baker first outing through Genesis Of The Daleks
-The Complete Series 1-4
-The David Tennant animated movies
-The David Tennant specials

When is the best time to buy Doctor Who DVDs? Is there a certain time of year they usually are on sale?
Old 11-28-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Deep Discount does sales here and there, I've bought Who from them before. Sometimes the Amazon everyday prices are pretty good (my wife has been known to throw in a $10 story to bump her order into free shipping).

How about finishing off Tom Baker?
Old 11-28-11, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Tom Baker era is the most famous run of the original Doctor Who. It's where most people started watching and the most-shown in the US. From there, I'd concentrate on the Pertwee and Davison eras.

The Colin Baker and McCoy runs are really hit-or-miss. The show started taking a nose-dive in quality around there, mostly due to behind-the-scenes BBC politics. It was cancelled in 1989 during McCoy's run.

The Hartnell and Troughton runs are sort of problematic because there are a lot of missing episodes. Long story short, prior to 1970, it was standard procedure for the BBC to trash their catalog material and they destroyed all of their copies of these programs. The surviving episodes from this era come from private collections, copies found overseas, etc. There are only six complete Troughton stories out of twenty-one aired. Hartnell fares a bit better with seventeen complete stories out of twenty-nine.
Old 11-28-11, 07:25 PM

Thank you for your replies. I have some more questions, and will probably have even more after.

For the lost stories I did think about buying the CD sets they put out where they've put the audio from the show in a radio serial format, or so was my understanding. Do those CD collections make up all of the lost episodes? Isn't the problem with the lost episodes that they have recovered audio from all the shows but they just don't have the video (or good quality video anyway)?

In your opinion would that Lost In Time set of the first two Doctors be worth getting? I considered getting it when I was buying the Hartnell episodes, but there are only a few complete serials on there. And even with that those "complete" serials are a combination of TV and audio only. An Amazon review said the documentary on there was good, but does that alone make it worth getting?

Tomb Of The Cybermen seems to be out of print. Is there a special edition of it coming, or is the listing of it on Amazon just false?

With Tom Baker's episodes not all of the serials have been put out in their numbered order. I don't remember the number or the exact name of the serial, but after the Cybermen serial that comes after Genesis Of The Daleks there is a serial that hasn't yet been put out. Then after that they seem to continue in the correct number order with maybe a missing one here or there. If I don't wait for those missing serials to come out and just watch in as best of a chronological order as I can, will it flow ok or will there be confusing continuity errors? When I finish watching my Hartnell episodes would it be too confusing of a jump if I jumped to the Tom Baker episodes, or in your opinion should I watch some stuff between those?

I know that there are differences from the older episodes and the newer series, but could you recommend me some serials based on some of the episodes of the new series I like? Once again I don't remember the names of the episodes off the top of my head, so I'll do my best to describe them. Some of my favorites are:

-The second episode of the complete first series where The Doctor takes Rose to the space station
-The Charles Dickens episode from the complete first series
-The Bad Wolf storyline from the complete first series
-The episode from the complete first series with that villain in the TV
-Rise Of The Cybermen and The Age Of Steel from the complete second series
-Army Of Ghosts and Doomsday from the complete second series
-The Shakespeare episode from the complete third series
-The Davros episodes from the complete fourth series (I think one of the episodes was called Journey's End
-The Weeping Angels episodes from the complete fifth series
-The Churchill episode from the complete fifth series
-The Pandora box (or actually I think they called it a cube) episodes
-Basically all of the complete sixth series

I realize that there are lots of Daleks and Cybermen in my list, but episodes you recommend don't have to include them. The truth is out of all the Doctor Who episodes I've seen I can't really think of any I hate, perhaps just ones I don't like as much as others. So please, based on some of the stuff I've listed or just on what episodes of Doctor Who you think are best, please recommend me some Doctor Who serials.
Old 11-28-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
Thank you for your replies. I have some more questions, and will probably have even more after.

For the lost stories I did think about buying the CD sets they put out where they've put the audio from the show in a radio serial format, or so was my understanding. Do those CD collections make up all of the lost episodes? Isn't the problem with the lost episodes that they have recovered audio from all the shows but they just don't have the video (or good quality video anyway)?
Audio-wise, pretty much every televised episode of Doctor Who is accessible. Back in the day before video recorders, old school Who fans use to record the first-run episodes on cassette tape. There's a great documentary about those fans on one of the Who DVDS (Possibly the Lost in Time set).

Before the internet, right as Doctor Who was coming out on VHS, fans would offer these lost audio gems via Mail Order or conventions. I still have an off-air recording of Galaxy Four somewhere.

Other fans would use pictures taken during the production of these stories (telesnaps) and "reconstruct" these episodes. They were usually offered for sale or trade on VHS back in the day.

At some point, the BBC saw the value of releasing these on CD and MP3. These are great releases considering these stories no longer exist visually. There is the possibility of seeing these missing episodes animated the way Invasion was and Reign of Terror will be. These off-air recordings are the keystone in making this happen.

In your opinion would that Lost In Time set of the first two Doctors be worth getting? I considered getting it when I was buying the Hartnell episodes, but there are only a few complete serials on there. And even with that those "complete" serials are a combination of TV and audio only. An Amazon review said the documentary on there was good, but does that alone make it worth getting?
For me? YES. It's a great set. It compiles every existing scrap of material from every missing story and includes full episodes if they're available. If you're a dedicated Who nut, it needs to be in your collection.

Tomb Of The Cybermen seems to be out of print. Is there a special edition of it coming, or is the listing of it on Amazon just false?
Special Edition is coming soon. The entire story has been VidFired to give it the original video-look. The OOP DVD did not do this.

With Tom Baker's episodes not all of the serials have been put out in their numbered order. I don't remember the number or the exact name of the serial, but after the Cybermen serial that comes after Genesis Of The Daleks there is a serial that hasn't yet been put out.
That would be Terror of the Zygons.

Then after that they seem to continue in the correct number order with maybe a missing one here or there. If I don't wait for those missing serials to come out and just watch in as best of a chronological order as I can, will it flow ok or will there be confusing continuity errors? When I finish watching my Hartnell episodes would it be too confusing of a jump if I jumped to the Tom Baker episodes, or in your opinion should I watch some stuff between those?
Old school Doctor Who episodes always managed to stay self-contained. You don't need to watch Terror of the Zygons to understand Planet of Evil. In it's history, there have been story arcs that play out throughout a season/series (much like the current show does) but overall, each episode doesn't need the other to exist.

There are exceptions tho. Story arcs like The Key to Time, the E-Space Trilogy or The Trial of a Time Lord seasons keep the episodes closely connected together. Thankfully, the BBC usually releases those as box sets, keeping the continuity intact.

Essentially, if it's not released as a box set, you don't have to worry about missing anything major.

I know that there are differences from the older episodes and the newer series, but could you recommend me some serials based on some of the episodes of the new series I like? Once again I don't remember the names of the episodes off the top of my head, so I'll do my best to describe them. Some of my favorites are:

-The second episode of the complete first series where The Doctor takes Rose to the space station
-The Charles Dickens episode from the complete first series
-The Bad Wolf storyline from the complete first series
-The episode from the complete first series with that villain in the TV
-Rise Of The Cybermen and The Age Of Steel from the complete second series
-Army Of Ghosts and Doomsday from the complete second series
-The Shakespeare episode from the complete third series
-The Davros episodes from the complete fourth series (I think one of the episodes was called Journey's End
-The Weeping Angels episodes from the complete fifth series
-The Churchill episode from the complete fifth series
-The Pandora box (or actually I think they called it a cube) episodes
-Basically all of the complete sixth series

I realize that there are lots of Daleks and Cybermen in my list, but episodes you recommend don't have to include them. The truth is out of all the Doctor Who episodes I've seen I can't really think of any I hate, perhaps just ones I don't like as much as others. So please, based on some of the stuff I've listed or just on what episodes of Doctor Who you think are best, please recommend me some Doctor Who serials.
That's a loaded question. It pretty much covers a large range of Doctor Who stories.

Here are some of my favorites:

Hartnell:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
The Romans
The Time Meddler
The War Machines

Troughton:

Tomb of the Cybermen
The Invasion
The Seeds of Death
The War Games

Pertwee:

Spearhead From Space
Inferno
Day of the Daleks
The Three Doctors
Carnival of Monsters
The Time Warrior

T. Baker:

The Ark in Space
Genesis of the Daleks
Pyramids of Mars
The Android Invasion
Brain of Morbius
The Deadly Assassin
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Horror of Fang Rock
The Sun Makers
City of Death
The Leisure Hive
Logopolis

Davison:

Castrovalva
The Visitation
Earthshock
The Five Doctors
The Caves of Androzani

C. Baker:

Vengeance on Varos
The Two Doctors
The Trial of a Time Lord

McCoy:
Remembrance of the Daleks
Battlefield
Ghost Light
The Curse of Fenric

McGann:

The TV Movie

Those are just off the top of my head. I pretty much love every episode of Doctor Who. Even the clunkers. The show has the enduring quality of changing so much that it becomes a completely different show every so many years.

A Hartnell story (educational show) is so different from a Troughton (monster of the week) and Pertwee story (exiled to earth/UNIT). Tom Baker's era went through several changes in tone (Gothic, Comedy, Pure Science Fiction). The violent era of Colin Baker differs vastly from the McCoy "Who is the Doctor?" era. I absolutely love that.

It's an amazing show. It's longevity is proof of that.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-28-11 at 08:02 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.