Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Originally Posted by kstublen
Definitely interested in The Strangers after you've described it. Too bad these DVDs are so expensive though. I'm definitely going to pick up the Auton Trilogy and Zygon, then maybe get The Strangers a little later if they're still available. Thanks for all of the information, very cool stuff.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Did you know you can use the sort override function in DVDAf to put titles like these in proper order? I use Doctor Who XXX (substituting the story# for xxx) and it puts them in order. See my link below for example, they're not separated, just in the main library.
No I didn't know that. I may try that out later. Thanks.
Old 02-08-11, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else upset by them confirming that the Christmas special will indeed be on the Season 6 DVD/Blu set?

I wasn't expecting it at all...maybe I was the only one.

It wouldn't be as bad if they were carrying over all of the special features, but tvshowsondvd reports that only some of them will carry over to the boxset, and some will stay on the standalone released =/
Old 02-08-11, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was talk that the Christmas Special would be left off of a Series 6 box set because technically, it's a part of Series 5 (as previous Christmas Specials were). The new production team had a "will they/won't they" attitude about the release. I was playing wait and see anyways.

But the news that all the extras won't be a part of the package definitely ticks me off. As a Who completist, I gotta own both now. That's BS.
Old 02-08-11, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

That's miffy news about the Christmas special even though I wasn't very keen on it.

Did anybody get a copy of the DWM yet? Are there any reviews out for it yet? I believe we're just limited to DVD v Blu-ray?
Old 02-08-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Isny
It wouldn't be as bad if they were carrying over all of the special features, but tvshowsondvd reports that only some of them will carry over to the boxset, and some will stay on the standalone released =/
That same post at tvshowsondvd speculates that the missing extra might be "Doctor Who at the Proms 2010". If that's the case, then I must say, I'm not too concerned about losing it. But that's just me.
Old 02-08-11, 01:39 PM

If I was going to guess, I would say that it'll be the Dr. Who Confidental that'll be different between the Christmas disc and the season set. They only ever seem to include the 15 minute versions on the season sets instead of the full hour versions. Again just guess and have really no idea.
Old 02-08-11, 08:45 PM

I picked up my BR from Amazon.co.uk already, so I'm set, I just hate having to double dip. They really need to stop milking the franchise, the last thing they want to do is upset fans.
Old 02-09-11, 08:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Very nice! But it looks like you need more shelves!
You should have seen it back in the VHS days. That was just a mess...lol.
Old 02-10-11, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some words about Series 6 on DVD/Blu-Ray:

A Christmas Carol = Next Week
Series 6, Vol. 1 (No Extras) = Spring
Series 6, Vol. 2 (No Extras) = Fall
Complete Series 6 (With Extras) including A Christmas Carol (Lacking One Extra) = Christmas 2011

DWM 431 (Red Dalek cover) has news that the 2011 series will be released in 2 volumes on DVD/Blu-Ray rather than the usual 4 volumes. Volume 1 will contain episodes 1-7 and will be released shortly after ep 7 is broadcast. The second volume will contain eps 8-13 and will be available after the series climax. Each volume is expected to contain 2 discs with an RRP of £24.99 for DVD and £29.99 for Blu-Ray.

A box set of the complete series will be ready for Christmas 2011. Bonus material for all of these is TBC.
And from Steve Manfred:

This is what I've heard too from BBC WA. They intend to mirror this exactly in North America as quickly as their manufacturing stream will allow.

I've been told these two smaller volumes will contain no extra features, but will also be priced accordingly (i.e. they'll be cheaper). "A Christmas Carol" will also not appear on either of these. But then at the end of the year, just in time for Christmas, we'll get our usual full season box set with all the extras (or at least as many as we got last year, which was down off years' past) and that will include "A Christmas Carol." (but not all of the extras that are coming on "A Christmas Carol"'s solo release next week will make it onto the end-of-year box set, because of space issues with the s6 extras being planned - I'd guess that first to go would be the full-length Confidential (probably to be replaced by a Cut-Down version)... not sure about the Proms concert... suppose that might depend on if they do another one this coming summer)
Old 02-10-11, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Valeyard, thanks for the tip on Mike's Comics. I just placed an order for Auton 1-3 and Zygon. I figured I'd go with those ones first over The Stranger series since they're more of a direct spinoff of Doctor Who. Hopefully they stay in stock for another month or so though, then I'll probably be able to order them as well.
Old 02-10-11, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that it only came out a couple of days ago, but would anyone happen to have or know where to find an HQ region 1 cover for the Doctor Who tv movie ?
Old 02-11-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
Valeyard, thanks for the tip on Mike's Comics. I just placed an order for Auton 1-3 and Zygon. I figured I'd go with those ones first over The Stranger series since they're more of a direct spinoff of Doctor Who. Hopefully they stay in stock for another month or so though, then I'll probably be able to order them as well.

Awesome! I hope you enjoy them.
Old 02-12-11, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I know that it only came out a couple of days ago, but would anyone happen to have or know where to find an HQ region 1 cover for the Doctor Who tv movie ?
This should've probably been asked in the Covers and Cases forum.
This site is great: http://art.gmaskew.com/simonh/index.html
Old 02-15-11, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry, I missed all the discussion, but in a nutshell, how did they manage to secure the rights to release Doctor Who: The Movie in region 1 after all these years?
Old 02-15-11, 05:15 PM

NBC Universal was willing to license it. Up till now they haven't been interested. All it took was for them and the BBC to settle on terms.

I've been expecting this to happen for some time, since NBC Universal has been licensing out properties like mad to other companies (Shout!, Timeless, etc.) for some time now.
Old 02-17-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello all. I can't believe there is a DW thread on this site where I've been hanging for years trading away DVDs and Blus! It's good to see other dedicated fans losing their time (and I say this in a positive way!) discussing this wonderful series. My favorite show of all time (with Space 1999). On other sites my avatar is a Sontaran too!

I just caught the last bits of the discussion and mean to say that I do order stuff from Mike's Comics once in a while but personally I prefer the Stranger series to the Autons or Zygon ones. They are all very low production values (and often terrible acting) though so some might be disapointed if they were expecting more DW.

Also I'm very active in the dvd trade thread and have been looking for missing DW episodes for my collection (about 12 missing). But no one there ever comes across any. I have piles of stuff to trade like scifi, horror, repertoire, classics, film noir, cult etc. No DW DVDs except Pirate Planet by Douglas Adams - the old version, but I do have a ton of books (well more like 20) from the BBC series with all the Doctors from old: 1-8. Some rare ones too - last time I checked ! - like Roundheads (2nd) and Tymewyrm series (7th). Other titles like Ultimate Treasure (5th), Byzantium (1st), Players (6th), Imperial Moon (5th), Millenium Shock (4th), etc.
PM me for list of books or see my thread for DVD trade and wish list if interested.

I know this should go in the trade thread maybe but since people here are all DW fans I think it would interest more the locals. I hope my putting it here doesn't offend anyone!

This being said I can't wait to get my hands on the DW movie. Although it is not so great, it's the only chance to see Paul McGann in action. Fans of him should check out the Big Finish monthly audio stories with him (and Doctors 5-6-7). They are really swell and well done. Whenever I go for a walk with my ipod I find I listen to them more than to actual music!

Well, I'm all hyper now I've found this thread but I'll stop babbling before I bore evreyone. So, until next time!
Old 02-17-11, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Me again!
Here are some cool DW links I had on a list.

A DW timescale (period spanned) of all episodes ever filmed

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/1...nfographic.jpg

and another site with a guy listing EVERYTHING chronologically (in DW universe time, not in real-life release time) like TV episodes but also books, comics, audio, spin-offs etc.

http://www.drwhoguide.com/who.htm

I'm super enthusiastic of having found this thread but I hope these infos are not out of place. If so lmk and I'll calm down by going off to watch some old boring DW episode (contradiction in term) like Silver Nemesis or Space Pirates!
Old 02-17-11, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by odisn
On the bottom shelf, what is the dvd that has the orange logo sitting in with the other blue logo-ed dvds ? It looks to be an Original Series logo, but I don't recall the dvds having an orange logo.
Old 02-17-11, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Five Doctors - Special Edition
Old 02-17-11, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wanted to chime in about Mike's Comics. Although I have yet to order any DVDs from them, I have geeked it out big time with my huge collection of DW toys. Mike's Comics has the best prices, bar none. Plus, they truly care about their customers. Michael Salvo is a bona fide gentleman.

And, no, I'm not a shill for them--just a very satisfied customer and figured I'd sing their praises due to the mention in the thread.
Old 02-22-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Figure this is the best place to post this.

Nicholas Courtney Passes. This Demands A Five Round Salute

Submitted by Rich Johnston on February 22, 2011 – 6:30 pm

“Chap with the wings there, five rounds rapid”

Nicholas Courtney, passed on today, aged 81. The actor is best known for his appearances in the British sci-fi TV show Doctor Who, and has performed with more actors playing the Doctor than anyone else (William Hartnell as Space Security Agent Bret Vyon, Patrick Troughton as Colonel Lethbridge Stewart, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Pater Davison and Sylvester McCoy as Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart, a role he reprised last year in the Sarah Jane Adventures. He also played the role in a number of audio plays from Big Finish, with Colin Baker and Paul McGann.

The character was steeped in a military upbringing and had an unflappable approach to the strangest visions Doctor Who could throw at him, from aliens to robots to dinosaurs, once dismissing a trip to another planet as being nothing more that being thrown to a nearby quarry, and insisted that the TARDIS being bigger on the inside was a trick with mirrors.

The actor carried this masterful stuff upper lip in the face of adversity into other theatre and TV roles including Yes Prime Minister, Only Fools And Horses, French Fields and Rocky Horror Show. As honorary president of the Doctor Who Appreciation Society, he was also a convention regular.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/02/...-round-salute/

I met Mr. Courtney at countless conventions over the years and he was a very pleasant, down to earth fellow. Each time we've met, I had him sign tons of items and he did each one with a smile. It's a pity we never had a chance to see the Brig show up in the new series (outside of a Sarah Jane Adventure). His blood and thunder days have finally passed.

R.I.P. Brigadier.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 02-23-11 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Fixed picture
Old 02-23-11, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-04-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just received my copies of The Ark and Seeds of Doom! The former is one of my favorite Hartnell stories. I think its the only episode where he actually comes back to a place he's visited prior and we see both time periods.
Seeds of Doom is NOT one of my favorites TB stories. Although I think fans rate it very high. I haven't seen it in a while so I'll see if I understand it better this time around!
Old 03-08-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought Seeds of Doom was an odd story because it feels like two stories put together. One set in the Antarctica and the other in England. Not that it's a bad story. Just feels a bit disjointed to me.

I haven't seen The Ark in awhile. I'm severely backlogged on Doctor Who stories. I haven't had the time to catch up.
Old 03-09-11, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I always thought Seeds of Doom was an odd story because it feels like two stories put together. One set in the Antarctica and the other in England. Not that it's a bad story. Just feels a bit disjointed to me.
However, 2 episodes + 4 episodes was the common formatting of the Tom Baker six-parters. In "Weng-Chiang", there were 4 episodes centered around the theater, followed by two in the arch-villian's lair. "The Invasion of Time" had four episodes of the Vardans and two of the Sontarans.

What may be disjointed is that "The Seeds of Doom" is two homages in one. The Antarctic one is "The Thing from Another World", while the English one is "The Quatermass Experiment." While I never had a problem with it, I could understand if some thought that the join between the two wasn't as artfully done as in some other stories. It may also explain why future stories put the two-parter at the end instead of the beginning.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.