Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-11, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Fleetwood Mac song returns to Spearhead From Space:

Fleetwood Mac included on Spearhead

It has been confirmed that the upcoming DVD re-release of the Third Doctor's first story, Spearhead from Space, will include the previously missing Fleetwood Mac track, "Oh Well Part One."

Steve Roberts of the Doctor Who Restorations Team, posted in Gallifrey Base, that the track will be included on the soundtrack of the story due for release around the world later this year.

The music was present on the original transmission, during scenes of dolls being manufactured at Auto Plastics. Because of rights issues the track was removed from the 1988 BBC Video release and the 2001 DVD Release. The track is now covered by the PPL agreement, the same agreement which allowed the missing Beatles music to be restored to the UK release of The Chase.

However, unlike the release of The Chase, the Fleetwood Mac track is covered internationally and so will be included on all versions of the story.
Old 01-18-11, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Wow, I never really thought I'd see a full colourized Ambassadors of Death!!! That's just crazy good news!!

It's one of my all-time favorites. It is so different in tone, quite dark for a Pertwee story, and very menacing.

I still have a poor-quality color version on VHS that I obtained from someone back in the late 90s. It's got the color banding across it, but very watchable. I remember it being so rare to get to see this story in color back then (you could get dubs of rare footage in fan circles), and I treated my copy like treasure.

Wow.... now we're going to get it on DVD.

There has been nothing officially confirmed about Ambassadors being restored to full colour. Wired took a Restoration Team comment out of context (or embellished it) and now this rumour has been circulating as fact.

The only official word on the subject is still this (Restoration Team member Steve Roberts in response to the Wired article):

"I would take certain aspects of that article (such as it being "weeks away" and me being 35(!!!) ) with a huge pinch of salt. They approached me about this months ago and the interview was done over the phone. Wired's policy is not to allow articles to be seen before publication, otherwise I would have pulled them up on the errors. There's nothing new in this story that hasn't been widely reported and discussed on here previously, which boils down to simply this: We are working on 'Ambassadors' and *hope* that it will come out in colour, but there are significant hurdles to overcome and some of those might simply be too high."

Hopefully, if there are still obstacles in the way, they'll push this release back to the end of the range (as with 'The Mind of Evil'), in hopes of a full-colour restoration working out.
Old 01-18-11, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Picked up the dominators.
Old 01-27-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Gallifrey Base:

Spring will be a bumper season for fans of the Third Doctor with Warner Home Video announcing that both Terror of the Autons and Planet of the Spiders will be released on DVD in the United States and Canada on May 10th.

tvshowsondvd.com report on the two Jon Pertwee stories, details of which were released last month.

The North American release means the stories will be released in the UK during April or the first week of May. Planet of the Spiders, which was the final story for Jon Pertwee, will be released as a standalone story, while Terror of the Autons will be paired with a remastered version of Pertwee's first story, Spearhead from Space.

A release in Australia is also expected shortly after the UK release.
Old 01-27-11, 03:38 PM

As I expected, the 'main guy' at BBC Video for Doctor Who (Dan Hall) has tweeted the following (in case any of you have missed it, sorry for not posting sooner):

Due to ongoing restoration issues, Ambassadors of Death will now not be released in 2011. #doctorwho (posted yesterday)

Keep your eyes peeled for more news, as I saw this on Roobarb's today:
Recent tweet says there will be an announcement concerning the future of The Solar System Box Set (i.e. the UK release that was to have contained 'Ambassadors') later tonight...
Old 01-28-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Any idea why they don't post the restoration articles anymore? Those were always fascinating reads.

And I've been wondering about this a while, does anybody have all of, say, the region 1 Doctor Who DVDs and would mind posting a picture? Just curious to see how much real estate that eats up.
Old 02-01-11, 09:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-01-11, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-01-11, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very nice! But it looks like you need more shelves!
Old 02-02-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Frontios (Pete Davison) and Time And The Rani (Sylvester McCoy) will be released in the United States and Canada on June 14th.

Originally Posted by TVShowsOnDVD
The parade of classic show releases on DVD in North America continues! Today the BBC and distributor Warner Home Video announced that 1984's Doctor Who - Story #133: Frontios and 1987's Doctor Who - Story #148: Time and The Rani (with is Sylvester McCoy's first story as the 7th Doctor) will be released in the USA and Canada on June 14th. As usual, these DVDs are digitally remastered in both picture and sound. Full-sized package art hasn't been made available yet for either title, so stay tuned for that. However, we do have a thumbnail-sized version of the Frontios box for you on the left. Here are the details about the contents:

# Doctor Who - Story #133: Frontios (Peter Davison as the 5th Doctor)

1 disc, 98 minutes, 4 episodes, full frame video, English mono audio, English subtitles, $24.98 SRP

An irresistible force draws the TARDIS to the barren surface of Frontios, where in the far future the last surviving humans cower amongst the ruins of their wrecked spacecraft. Under constant threat from lethal meteorite bombardments, few of the doomed colony members realize that the ground of Frontios itself opens up and devours the unwary. Not permitted to assist, the Doctor attempts to leave, but is thwarted when the unimaginable occurs: the TARDIS is utterly destroyed. All the while, burrowing undetected below the planet's crust, sickening alien parasites prepare a gruesome and final fate for all humanity.

Extras:
o Audio Commentary with actors Peter Davison, Jeff Rawle and John Gillett, script editor Eric Saward and special sounds designer Dick Mills.
o Driven to Distractation: The Making of Frontios
o Deleted and Extended Scenes
o Photo Gallery
o PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
o Production Notes Subtitle Option

# Doctor Who - Story #148: Time and The Rani (Sylvester McCoy as the 7th Doctor)

1 disc, 100 minutes, 4 episodes, full frame video, English mono audio, English subtitles, $24.98 SRP

Violently wrenched out of time, the TARDIS is brought crashing down onto the planet Lakertya by the villainous Rani. Caught within the maelstrom, the Doctor is forced to regenerate. Imprisoning the Doctor in her stronghold, the Rani seizes upon his vulnerable state. By impersonating his friend Mel, the Rani deceives the unwitting Doctor into helping her achieve her audacious plan. Just what is she up to? Why has she enslaved Albert Einstein and a host of geniuses? And as an asteroid composed of Strange Matter approaches Lakertya, can a weakened Doctor save the universe when he has little idea of who he really is?

Extras:
o Audio Commentary with actors Sylvester McCoy and Bonnie Langford, writers Pip and Jane Baker
o The Last Chance Saloon
o 7D FX
o Helter-Skelter
o Lakertya
o Hot Gossip
o On Location
o Blue Peter
o Photo Gallery
o Easter eggs
o PDF materials: Radio Times Listings
o Production Note Subtitles
SOURCE
Old 02-03-11, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

A friend sent this my way - thought you all would like it.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Superman07; 02-03-11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-03-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very neat, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-03-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Superman07, you think you could spoilerize that for size?
Old 02-03-11, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Time & The Rani
Old 02-03-11, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know the differences, besides the Fleetwood Mac song, between the original release of Spearhead and the new one ? Is it going to have the same extras ?
Old 02-04-11, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More than likely, it'll have the same extras plus added special features. I'm away from my copy of the original Spearhead so I can't double check right now.
Old 02-04-11, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by odisn
I can only dream to amass a Who collection that sized right now. It's something my girlfriend and I plan on working on soon...
Old 02-04-11, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a ton of Who titles that I keep safe in my Comic Room at the house. I'm working in Macau right now so I can't share pix. I haven't been keeping up in the past year however due to travel.

My Doctor Who DVDs

Doctor Who Spin-offs

Last edited by The Valeyard; 02-05-11 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-05-11, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by odisn
Old 02-06-11, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I have a ton of Who titles that I keep safe in my Comic Room at the house. I'm working in Macau right now so I can't share pix. I haven't been keeping up in the past year however due to travel.

My Doctor Who DVDs

Doctor Who Spin-offs
Where did you get Zygon and the Auton Trilogy? I've seen the latter for sale from Alien Entertainment and wasn't sure if they were reputable. Can't seem to find Zygon though.
Old 02-06-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
Where did you get Zygon and the Auton Trilogy? I've seen the latter for sale from Alien Entertainment and wasn't sure if they were reputable. Can't seem to find Zygon though.
Alien Entertainment is very reputable. Their pricing is so-so on some items but I've ordered from them on several occasions and have never had a problem.

I picked up the Auton Trilogy directly from Bill Baggs at a Gallifrey Convention a few years back.

I picked up Zygon from Mike's Comics. I use to order Who stuff from them back when Mail Order really meant MAIL Order. They have a simple site set up and it was the only place I could find Zygon. I picked it up for like $25 two years ago but now I see it's a little over $20. Again, a very reputable company to deal with and their prices are pretty decent. The have the Auton trilogy listed for $20 each as well.

FYI - All the BBV titles are now OOP. Whatever's left is it. The BBV site is long gone and from what I've read, they stopped releasing titles which is a shame because I was looking forward to the PROBE series.
Old 02-06-11, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alien Entertainment is very reputable. Their pricing is so-so on some items but I've ordered from them on several occasions and have never had a problem.

I picked up the Auton Trilogy directly from Bill Baggs at a Gallifrey Convention a few years back.

I picked up Zygon from Mike's Comics. I use to order Who stuff from them back when Mail Order really meant MAIL Order. They have a simple site set up and it was the only place I could find Zygon. I picked it up for like $25 two years ago but now I see it's a little over $20. Again, a very reputable company to deal with and their prices are pretty decent. The have the Auton trilogy listed for $20 each as well.

FYI - All the BBV titles are now OOP. Whatever's left is it. The BBV site is long gone and from what I've read, they stopped releasing titles which is a shame because I was looking forward to the PROBE series.
Thanks for the information. I've only very recently gotten into Doctor Who, but am trying to get the spinoffs as well, so when I found the Auton Trilogy and Zygon on Wikipedia I put them on the backburner; since they're OOP though, I'm definitely going to get them now, from one or the other. I suspect Mike's Comics will have more reasonable shipping than Alien Entertainment.

How is The Stranger series? Never heard of it until your post, but see that lots of people were involved and it's sort of an unofficial spinoff.
Old 02-06-11, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Stranger starts off as a sort-of spinoff of Doctor Who - Taking the idea of the Sixth Doctor becoming a hermit to atone for his past (mentioned in The Twin Dilemma, I believe). The feel is definitely old school Doctor Who and it was something Who fans needed during the early 90s after the show went off the air & before the 1996 TV Movie. My personal favorite is In Memory Alone which captured the style perfectly. The Terror Game changes the rules and breaks away from the "Is he the Doctor?" idea completely. The series becomes edgier and more "adult."

Tho not as adult as Zygon. Yikes!

If you ever pick up the Stranger series, remember that it came out at a time when Doctor Who was nearly forgotten. The only thing available on a regular basis was the New Adventure books from Virgin. All my Who friends would salivate whenever I bought a new Stranger video to watch. With all the spinoffs that came out during that time (Downtime, Shakedown, Mindgame), the BBV output was the best (IMO). It kept the series alive for me when I thought it was gone for good.

The Auton Trilogy is very good (Auton 2 being the best). It's a definite spinoff continuing ideas from Spearhead From Space and Terror of the Autons. Plus, UNIT is involved. It's Doctor Who without the Doctor.

One more thing - These were shot on a shoestring budget. Some of the later DVDs went back and upgraded the effects using consumer-grade tech which makes it look a little more contemporary. But beyond that, some of the earlier Stranger effects are.....not good. The actual transfers are great tho!
Old 02-06-11, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Definitely interested in The Strangers after you've described it. Too bad these DVDs are so expensive though. I'm definitely going to pick up the Auton Trilogy and Zygon, then maybe get The Strangers a little later if they're still available. Thanks for all of the information, very cool stuff.
Old 02-06-11, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Doctor Who DVDs

Doctor Who Spin-offs
Did you know you can use the sort override function in DVDAf to put titles like these in proper order? I use Doctor Who XXX (substituting the story# for xxx) and it puts them in order. See my link below for example, they're not separated, just in the main library.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.