Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

You know, I was checking out various websites the other day to check the price on the McGann disc and it served to remind me how much I despise projects with names like "The Movie!" Isn't there an actual story name that could be used?

I mean, I'm one of the three people that enjoy Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but I can't stand it being called "The Motion Picture". Same thing for any TV series that calls it's pilot episode "pilot". Gah. Show a little creativity would you?
Old 11-12-10, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
You know, I was checking out various websites the other day to check the price on the McGann disc and it served to remind me how much I despise projects with names like "The Movie!" Isn't there an actual story name that could be used?

I mean, I'm one of the three people that enjoy Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but I can't stand it being called "The Motion Picture". Same thing for any TV series that calls it's pilot episode "pilot". Gah. Show a little creativity would you?
In Star Trek's case, I guess it's more to do with the fact that Paramount wanted to place emphasis on the fact that this wasn't "just one of the TV episodes: it's a major motion picture for the big screen". It's also why they played an overture at the beginning of the film: to underscore that this was an "event".

I agree with you on Doctor Who, though. That's more of a case of BBC Worldwide having to call it something other than just "Doctor Who" (though I'm sure there's a certain segment of fandom who would've preferred they used the story's unofficial subtitle "The Enemy Within").

By the way, I guess you can count me as the fourth person who likes the movie. So, there's you, me, Koothrappali (from 'Big Bang Theory') and someone else...
Old 11-12-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

This day and age, it is sort of strange to have a title like "Star Trek: The Motion Picture," but back in 1979, it was unusual for a television series to make the jump to feature film, so they probably wanted to emphasize that this was an actual movie, otherwise casual viewers might think they were just recycling old tv episodes or something. Back then there wasn't an internet where things were discussed endlessly, and studios didn't start hyping projects before a single frame of film was exposed.

Regarding "Doctor Who," Fox was planning on using the tv movie as a backdoor pilot and it was never given a name, just shown as a movie of the week with the title "Doctor Who."

I wasn't crazy about the movie, but I thought McGann's Doctor could have been a good one if he was given a chance.
Old 11-12-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom

Producer Philip Segal suggested the unofficial title "Enemy Within" as an alternative at Manopticon 5, apparently after being repeatedly asked what the actual title for the movie was.

I've been calling it The TV Movie since 1996.
Old 11-13-10, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Regarding "Doctor Who," Fox was planning on using the tv movie as a backdoor pilot and it was never given a name, just shown as a movie of the week with the title "Doctor Who."
I knew it was a pilot and all that, but I still have to think that when these things are being written, the writers have some idea of what the story would be called.

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Producer Philip Segal suggested the unofficial title "Enemy Within" as an alternative at Manopticon 5, apparently after being repeatedly asked what the actual title for the movie was.

I've actually heard of that "Enemy Within" title before and I guess I had been thinking that's how it would have been sold when it made it to DVD over here.
Old 11-13-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm actually very glad to see that the movie is getting a R1 release...
Old 11-20-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

March 8, 2011:

The Ark (1 Disc)

The Seeds of Doom (2 Discs)

Last edited by The Valeyard; 11-25-10 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-01-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

After the holidays, I am going to start picking these up. So far behind, but no time to start like the present
Old 12-02-10, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

In Doctor Who: The Completely Useless Encyclopedia, it was referred to as "The U.S. Telemovie with the Pertwee Logo."

Doesn't exactly rrrrrrrrrroll off the tongue, though, does it?
Old 12-03-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

God, I haven't read the Completely Useless Encyclopedia in ages. I picked it up when it was first released and laughed for days.
Old 12-09-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

The 2010 Christmas special is coming out Feburary 15th
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...mas-carol.html
Old 12-09-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

It's always been a preseason episode on the box sets. I hope it's still included on the eventual S6 set!
Old 12-09-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what they're saying on the Gally boards, it won't be.

Since the next season is being broken in half, the release rumor going around is:

Christmas Carol
Series 6.1
Series 6.2 (or possibly calling it Series 7)

Possibly at the end of 2011 or early 2012, there may be a full release combining all the separate releases into one Series 6 box. But for now, the plan is as noted above.

SIDE NOTE: I just updated the first post with new pix and was surprised (and happy) to see so many Doctor Who releases already scheduled for 2011. It's really a good time to be a Doctor Who fan.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 12-10-10 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-16-10, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

April 12, 2011

Kinda

Snakedance
Old 01-11-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Picked up Meglos today... my first Dr. Who purchase
Old 01-11-11, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hope you enjoy it!
Old 01-12-11, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Gallifrey Base:

2|entertain have confirmed the classic Doctor Who stories currently being worked on for release in 2011. The stories will follow the previously announced releases of The Mutants, The Ark, Mara Tales and Revisitations 2.

The details came in an interview with the members of the classic Doctor Who DVD team in the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine. In the interview Commissioning Editor Dan Hall revealed an additional title was considered for re-visiting, but was dropped after review. Hall has revealed via the ClassicDW twitter account that this title was the Sixth Doctor story Vengeance on Varos. Hall has indicated he would be willing to reconsider this decision should there be a groundswell of opinion favouring this re-release.

Stories due for release in 2011

Planet of the Spiders
The swansong of the third Doctor, originally shown in 1974. The story written by Robert Sloman and Barry Letts features Jon Pertwee in an epic battle with the Giant Spiders of Metebelis 3. The story also features Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith, Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Richard Franklin as Captain Mike Yates, John Levene as Sergeant Benton, Gareth Hunt as Arak, Kevin Lindsay as Cho-je, John Dearth as Lupton and John Kane as Tommy.

Extras include
Commentary
90 minute compilation edition
Jon Pertwee on Wogan
John Kane remembers
The Final Curtain - Documentary
Directing Doctor Who: Barry Letts
Now and Then: Locations

Mannequin Mania - Spearhead from Space / Terror of the Autons
A double release featuring an updated version of Jon Pertwee's first story re-released alongside the debut story of Roger Delgado as The Master and Katy Manning as Jo Grant

Spearhead from Space
The TARDIS arrives on Earth in the middle of a meteorite shower and the Doctor is found by UNIT troops and taken to a nearby hospital. Originally shown in 1970 the story, written by Robert Holmes, introduces the Autons as well as the third Doctor. Alongside Jon Pertwee it stars Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Caroline John as Liz Shaw, Hugh Burden as Channing, John Woodnutt as Hibbert and Hamilton Dyce as Major General Scobie

Extras include
Regenerations: Documentary
UNIT Recruitment film
Down to Earth: Documentary
New Commentary

Terror of the Autons
This 1971 story introduces The Master as who arrives on Earth at a circus run by a man named Rossini and steals a dormant Nestene energy unit from a museum. Written by Robert Holmes the story introduces Jo Grant played by Katy Manning as The Doctor's new companion. Also featuring Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Richard Franklin as Mike Yates, John Levene as Sergeant Benton, Harry Towb as McDermott, Michael Wisher as Rex Farrel and Roger Delgado as The Master.

Extras include
Extra Footage
Commentary
Plastic Fantastic: Documentary
The Doctor's Moriarty
Life on Earth: Documentary

Frontios
The Fifth Doctor faces danger when the TARDIS is dragged down to the surface of the planet Frontios and apparently destroyed during a meteorite bombardment. Originally shown in 1984 the story written by Christopher H Bidmead stars Peter Davison as The Doctor, Janet Fielding as Tegan, Mark Strickson as Turlough, Peter Gilmore as Brazen, Lesley Dunlop as Norna, Jeff Rawle as Plantagenet and William Lucas as Range.

Extras include
Commentary
Isolated Score
Driven to Distraction

Earthstory - The Awakening / The Gunfighters
A Box-Set containing two stories set on Earth

The Awakening
An alien war machine, the Malus, is affecting the inhabitants of the English country village of Little Hodcombe in 1984 so that a re-enactment of a Civil War battle turns into the real thing. Originally shown in 1984 the story written by Eric Pringle stars Peter Davison as The Doctor, Janet Fielding as Tegan, Mark Strickson as Turlough, Frederick Hall as Andrew Verney, Glyn Houston as Colonel Wolsey, Polly James as Jane Hampden, Denis Lill as Sir George and Keith Jayne as Will Chandler.

Extras include
Commentary
Outake
On the Cutting Room Floor
Kamelion deleted scene
Barry Newbury - Designer: Documentary
Location Footage
Now and Then

The Gunfighters
The 1966 story has the First Doctor visiting the town of Tombstone where he attempts to locate a dentist and gets caught up in the feud between Doc Holliday and the Clanton family. The story is written by Donald Cotton and alongside William Hartnell features Jackie Lane as Dodo, Peter Purves as Steven Taylor, Anthony Jacobs as Doc Holliday, William Hurndall as Ike Clanton, Laurence Payne as Johnny Ringo and Sheena Marshe as Kate. It features the voice of Lynda Baron

Extras Include
Commentary
End of the Line: Documentary
Tomorrow's Times, The First Doctor

Paradise Towers
Previously reported in November, the story has the Seventh Doctor battling the inhabitants of Paradise Towers a run-down and dilapidated tower block where gangs of Kangs roam wild, the apartments are inhabited by cannibalistic old ladies, the Rezzies; and the building is managed by a group of dictatorial caretakers, presided over by the Chief Caretaker.

The 1987 story was written by Stephen Wyatt and stars Sylvester McCoy as The Doctor and Bonnie Langford as Mel, alongside Annabel Yuresha as Bin Liner, Catherine Cusack as Blue Kang Leader, Richard Briers as Chief Caretaker, Clive Merrison as Deputy Chief , Julie Brennon as Fire Escape, Judy Cornwell as Maddy, Howard Cooke as Pex, Elizabeth Spriggs as Tabby and Brenda Bruce as Tilda.

Extras Include
Commentary
Girls Girls Girls: 1980's
Horror of the High-Rise: Documentary
Rejected Score
Jigsaw

Revisitations 3 - Tomb of the Cybermen / The Three Doctors / Robots of Death
The third box set in the Revisitation series, comprising stories which were released near the start of the DVD range and now released with additional restoration work and special features.

Tomb of the Cybermen
In this 1967 Second Doctor story, once thought to be lost forever, the TARDIS arrives on the planet Telos where an Earth archaeological expedition, led by Professor Parry, is attempting to uncover the lost tombs of the Cybermen. The story by Kit Pedler and Gerry Davis is the earliest surviving complete story with the Second Doctor. Joining Patrick Troughton in the cast are Frazer Hines as Jamie, Deborah Watling as Victoria, George Roubicek as Captain Hopper, George Pastell as Eric Klieg, Clive Merrison as Jim Callum, Cyril Shaps as John Viner, Shirley Cooklin as Kaftan and Roy Stewart as Toberman.

The story has now been through the VidFire process designed to restore the look of the print to its original condition.

Extras Include
New Commentary
Tomb and the magic of VidFIRE: Documentary
Sky Ray promo
Lost Giants Documentary
Curse of the Cybermen: Documentary
Cybermen: Documentary

The Three Doctors
The tenth anniverasary story unites the first three Doctors in a battle against renegade Time-Lord Omega.
Written by Bob Baker and Dave Martin the story stars Jon Pertwee, Patrick Troughton and William Hartnell as The Doctor alongside Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Katy Manning as Jo Grant, John Levene as Sergeant Benton, Rex Robinson as Dr. Tyler and Stephen Thorne as Omega

Extras Include
Making of Documentary
When Doctor Who was Uncool: Documentary

Robots of Death

The fourth Doctor story sees the TARDIS materialise on board a massive sandminer vehicle combing an alien world for precious minerals. The miner is run by a small human crew with the aid of numerous robots split into three classes: Dums, Vocs and a single controlling Super Voc but the crew are being picked off one by one by an unseen killer. Written by Chris Boucher the story stars Tom Baker as The Doctor, Louise Jameson as Leela, Brian Croucher as Borg, Tariq Yunis as Cass, Rob Edwards as Chub, David Bailie as Dask, David Collings as Poul, Pamela Salem as Toos, Russell Hunter as Uvanov and Tania Rogers as Zilda

Extras Include
Sandmine Murders: Documentary
Robophobia Documentary
Girls Girls Girls 1970's

The Solar System - Ambassadors of Death / The Sun Makers
A box-set comprising two stories set within our own Solar System.

Ambassadors of Death
This third Doctor story was recently tipped for release having recently been restored to full colour using a similar process to that used on the 2009 release of Planet of the Daleks. The Malcolm Hulke story, first shown in 1970, sees the Doctor join a UNIT investigation into a mystery surrounding Mars Probe 7. It stars Jon Pertwee as The Doctor along with Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Caroline John as Liz Shaw, John Levene as Sgt Benton and Ronald Allen as Ralph Cornish.

Extras Include
Battle for Mars Probe 7: Documentary
Tomorrow's Times, The Third Doctor

The Sun Makers
The Fourth Doctor story by Robert Holmes sees the TARDIS arrives in the future on the planet Pluto where there are now six suns, a breathable atmosphere and a large industrial community. The Company controls the planet and exploits the workers, pays them a pittance and then taxes them on everything imaginable. The Doctor and Leela join forces with an underground band of rebels led by a man named Mandrel.

The 1977 story stars Tom Baker as The Doctor with Louise Jameson as Leela, John Leeson as Voice of K9, David Rowlands as Bisham, Henry Woolf as Collector and Michael Keating as Goudry.

Extras Include
TX Trail
Running from the Tax Man: Documentary
Doctor's Composer: Dudley Simpson

Day of the Daleks - Special Edition
Previously announced at Time and Space 2010.

Extras Include
Blasting Past Documentary
Blue Peter
Cheating Memory; Documentary
Nationwide - Win a Dalek
UNIT: Dating Conundrum
View from the Gallery
Teaser

"Mannequin Mania"? Ewwww.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-12-11 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Robots of Death re-release with subtitles this time??
Old 01-12-11, 09:17 PM

So I should just stop buying older releases then since they seem to be re-releasing them in better quality.....
Old 01-12-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So if I want Terror Of The Autons, I have to buy it with the previously released Spearhead From Space? That's pretty weak.
Old 01-12-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those are the R2 releases right? I think someone said upthread that the US releases get split unless they're actual sequential stories.

I remember because I mentioned having to take apart my Warriors of the Deep boxset because the stories were several years apart and I keep my DVDs in story order.
Old 01-12-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the selection for 2011.
Isn't the R1 schedule supposed to match the R2? I thought they were going to do some fast catch-up.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 01-13-11 at 02:20 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The R1 & R2 schedule are syncing up this year. We'll see a lot of those titles being released at the same time as R2 while catching up on older releases with 2 titles a month (one new, one old).

Typically, double releases (such as the Auton release) will be split as two separate releases for R1 (like April's Kinda & Snakedance).
Old 01-13-11, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by TheJoker
So I should just stop buying older releases then since they seem to be re-releasing them in better quality.....
If you're buying R1 releases, it's not a guarantee that we'll be getting the "revisited" releases, unless there's been an explicit announcement that I've missed. BBC's US office has not always followed the UK on these: back in the VHS days, we only got a couple of the titles that were re-released in uncut versions.

True, we did get the re-release of Remembrance, but I wouldn't take that as a guarantee that all nine of the "Revisitations" titles will necessarily come out over here. The old show is a lot more low-profile here than in the UK, and they might not feel that as many US fans will be willing to double-dip. Probably best to wait and see if you're R1-inclined.
Old 01-18-11, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I never really thought I'd see a full colourized Ambassadors of Death!!! That's just crazy good news!!

It's one of my all-time favorites. It is so different in tone, quite dark for a Pertwee story, and very menacing.

I still have a poor-quality color version on VHS that I obtained from someone back in the late 90s. It's got the color banding across it, but very watchable. I remember it being so rare to get to see this story in color back then (you could get dubs of rare footage in fan circles), and I treated my copy like treasure.

Wow.... now we're going to get it on DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.