Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-13, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
The "nine" is supposedly the five missing episodes of Enemy along with four of the five missing Web episodes. The "nine" has nothing to do with Marco Polo
Thanks, mythmaker. The first I had heard of the "nine" was on Ian's page and they were talking about Marco Polo being part of the mix.
Old 10-08-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought there was at least one Hartnell episode returned as well..... so maybe more to be announced? Is it too greedy at this point to wish for dozens of episodes?

Finally getting caught up with the stuff at GB. Some are rather confident that it is not just 9, but 9 will be announced some time this week (it's like monitoring intelligence chatter). Some say the BBC are withholding info about a much larger haul. If this were true, then I imagine it could be because they want people to purchase the releases of incomplete stories like Tenth Planet, and Ice Warriors and after some time, announce their recovery. It would destroy sales if they announced those were found too.... and it would suck after all that time they put into their releases too.
All speculation on my part, of course. I do believe that all this is related to that big "hoax" from a few months back though. It would be too big a coincidence to not be related. We just need the full story to come out.

Last edited by Autotelik; 10-08-13 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In case anyone missed this over the weekend, since stuff at GB moves so fast, this was an excerpt from The Radio Times. I remember that a few months back, after the 90 episodes rumor, another rumor popped up about Marco Polo, Enemy, and Web were found and would be released at the end of the year...... if we are getting Enemy and Web imminently, what does that say about the credibility of Marco? Are they hanging onto that for later? I'm starting to believe that the BBC really have their hands on a haul.

Radio Times:

In what looks set to be the best 50th birthday present fans could imagine, missing episodes of Doctor Who will be made available for sale to the public this week.BBC Worldwide will put the previously lost episodes from different stories – both believed to be from the Patrick Troughton era – for sale on digital platforms such as iTunes from Wednesday, RadioTimes.com understands.They are believed to originate from a haul discovered in Africa and have been digitally remastered for sale, although exact details remain sketchy.A BBC Worldwide spokesman refused to officially confirm the discovery or the "speculation" around further missing episodes.It is understood that other episodes have also been found, although it is not yet known whether these will be made available.The existence of a cache of lost Doctor Who episodes has long been rumoured, although in June the BBC suggested that no tapes existed.Asked by RadioTimes.com if there were around 90 missing episodes from the 1960s a BBC statement said: “There are always rumours and speculation about Doctor Who missing episodes being discovered – however we cannot confirm any new finds.”A spokeswoman added: “We can’t confirm because it’s not true, as far as I’m aware."BBC Worldwide has confirmed it will syndicate the 50th anniversary episode, The Day of the Doctor, simultaneously to more than 75 countries across the world on 23 November.
Old 10-08-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Autotelik
In case anyone missed this over the weekend, since stuff at GB moves so fast, this was an excerpt from The Radio Times. I remember that a few months back, after the 90 episodes rumor, another rumor popped up about Marco Polo, Enemy, and Web were found and would be released at the end of the year...... if we are getting Enemy and Web imminently, what does that say about the credibility of Marco?
Marco Polo is an interesting case. All seven episodes are missing even though, by accounts, there were more copies of that story released out into the wild than any of the other of the missing stories. This is one that should have turned up by now.

And, on the opposite end of the spectrum, it's likely that "The Feast of Steven" (Part 7 of the "Daleks' Masterplan") is lost forever since that episode was never sold or even sent to a foreign market. It's actually a bit of an oddity since it's basically a Christmas Special that takes place in the middle of a larger story, and doesn't have much of anything to do with the story around it.

Are they hanging onto that for later? I'm starting to believe that the BBC really have their hands on a haul.
I'm thinking that it's at least something significant... probably not every single missing episode (though that would be absolutely wonderful), but I think it's more than just a handful of random episodes.
Old 10-09-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Tough to narrow it down. For Hartnell, I'd want The Daleks' Master Plan, The Celestial Toymaker and The Tenth Planet. But for history sake, I'd go with Marco Polo. I'm a sucker for a purely historical story and the pictures make the set design look fantastic.

For Troughton, I'd want The Power of the Daleks. It's his first story and it'd be fun to see his performance at the start. Follow ups would be Evil of the Daleks, The Highlanders and Enemy of the World.
Man... there are so many missing and incomplete Troughton stories that it hurts.

I would love to see a large batch of Troughton stories turn up. Power of the Daleks, Macra Terror, Evil of the Daleks, The Abominable Snowmen, Enemy of the World, Web of Fear...
Old 10-09-13, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.deborahwatling.net/News/index.htm

Deborah, along with Frazer Hines, will be helping the BBC to launch the newly found Dr.Who episodes this Thurs (10/10/13), betwwen 3.30pm and 7.00pm approx.
Looks like some Patrick Troughton material has been recovered...
Old 10-09-13, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
http://www.deborahwatling.net/News/index.htm

Looks like some Patrick Troughton material has been recovered...

Peter Purves and Carole Ann Ford are going to be at the press conference, too. Purves was interviewed on the radio and he said he has no idea whether any of "his" episodes were recovered or not (I'm personally hoping for at least the rest of Celestial Toymaker amongst "his" missing ones).
Old 10-09-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Purves, Ford, Hines, and Watling...

This is getting quite tantalizing. Seems more and more like this is shaping up to be a major announcement.
Old 10-09-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. I'm starting to get really excited. I shouldn't. But I can't help it!
Old 10-09-13, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Purves, Ford, Hines, and Watling...
Now, according to Ian Levine (who supposedly phoned her), Ford won't be there, for what it's worth.
Old 10-09-13, 12:59 PM

EDIT: Regarding my post mere minutes ago about a Tweet from Anneke Wills. Sorry, but it had nothing to do with missing (or discovered) episodes. The "secret" screening is likely an advance showing of An Adventure in Time and Space.
Old 10-09-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

... the calm before the storm ...
Old 10-09-13, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
... the calm before the storm ...
Yep.

Unless they announce that they've found 90 to 100 missing episodes and plan to release them all on a regular schedule tomorrow, the conspiracy theories will be flying.
Old 10-09-13, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe this is happening. Read so many of the Target novels as a kid and never thought I'd see any of the missing Troughtons. I dreamed about The Macra Terror last night..... I'm really hoping they will announce a large haul tomorrow. Please please please please......
Old 10-10-13, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The latest internet scuttlebutt...

There's a list going around:

Spoiler:
Marco Polo (all 7 episodes)
The Reign of Terror (parts 4 and 5)
Galaxy 4 (all 4 episodes)
The Myth Makers (3 episodes)
The Massacre (all 4 episodes)
The Celestial Toymaker (2 episodes)
The Tenth Planet (episode 4)
The Power of the Daleks (all 6 episodes)
The Underwater Menace (1 episode)
The Enemy of the World (all 6 episodes)
The Web of Fear (all 6 episodes)

Not sure if I believe it or not, but a discussion on IMDB referenced a list, and I was able to find this with google. If this is accurate, it's not quite the mother lode we were hoping for, but it's still a decent haul with some very desirable (and complete!) stories.

Source: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...postcount=2104

(If you read through the thread, there's also a poster claiming that an "impeccable source" says they also have
Spoiler:
"Evil of the Daleks" and "Fury from the Deep").

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 10-10-13 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-10-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm very happy if that list was true. That is still a big haul. Supposedly press conference is going on now.
Old 10-10-13, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I've never even bothered with the audio presentations or reconstructions of these, something in me said to hold off on buying the Lost in Time boxsets till the very end. So I have no pre-conceived notions of what are the best or most wanted episodes to be found, anything that gets revealed will be a positive to me as it will be a little piece of lost history returned to our care.
Old 10-10-13, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Press conference is over, although there may still be screenings going on. Apparently there's a press embargo until midnight UK time.

http://www.outpostskaro.com/v2_5/ind...ing-in-to-land
Well, that was quite monumentally exciting. A little piece of Who history, in multiple ways.

There is, I’m afraid, an embargo on any information till 00.01 BST tomorrow morning – so you’ll have to come back then for the actual facts. But there are, of course, some things I can say.

First off, in case there were any doubters, what we have back really has been worth the wait. Having seen… well, I’ll tell you what I actually did see later… some of what is available, I can tell you that the quality is surprisingly good – and possibly better than actually would have been had at the time of broadcast, for the majority of people viewing at home considering the quality of receiver available.

Secondly, the scripts hold up remarkably well. There is a naivity to them compared with modern TV drama – but to be honest, that is probably in the eye of the beholder more than anything else. Ways of writing, of making drama, change with the audience rather than in spite of it, which means our modern sensibilities suit the modern show more (Tony notwithstanding of course) – so it’s fair to say that the naivity I saw was more my problem than the show’s. However, despite that, the ride is a thrilling one.

Thirdly, the panel members were delightful, even allowing me to photo their feet. Their indulgence of that sort of fetish should not go uncommented.

But there is one important thing to say: it was confirmed to me that the rampant speculation and personal attackes that has been going on in some quarters of fandom has made the acquisition more difficult. (OS was not mentioned as an offender, I am pleased to say, even after I told them who I was; although it would be disingenuous to pretend we weren't part of the speculation rollercoaster.) I asked how, and was told even discussing that would create difficulties. The story can be told, but not yet.

Some will undoubtedly say that this is prissy smugness and a desire to hold onto power from big fish in small ponds: on balance, I genuinely don’t believe that’s the case. I think we need to take that request at face value, back off a little, and enjoy and celbrate what we get. Cos it is bloody marvellous.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have landed. But for the moment, please remain seated until the captain has switched of the 'fasten seatbelts' sign...
Old 10-10-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

But there is one important thing to say: it was confirmed to me that the rampant speculation and personal attackes that has been going on in some quarters of fandom has made the acquisition more difficult.
The fans can get rowdy sure, but this also lends credence to the idea that the tapes were being held by some wanker who wanted the current showrunner fired before he released him. Why do fans like this have to exist and make the rest of us look bad?

But confirmation that something was found, now the wait for the actual titles. I hope they will keep the DVD line going, I've only collected a fraction of what's available now and don't want to have to deal with eBay extortionists to fill in the gaps.
Old 10-10-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone named Lance Parkin has broken the embargo on his Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/lance.parki...26396770746168
Well, I didn't sign anything, so: let joy be unbounded, the BBC have just held a press conference to announce that the missing five Enemy of the Worlds and four episodes of Web of Fear have been discovered. And there may be more on the way.
Old 10-10-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lance Parkin was a New Adventures & Missing Adventures Doctor Who writer back in the 90s.

There's the "nine." Enemy of the World is a good find. I read the Target novelization as a teenager but really don't recall anything about the story outside of the villain looking like the Doctor.

Too bad that one episode of Web of Fear is still missing but it's great having a better chuck of that story now. It's a great story!

EDIT: Follow ups from Lance:

Nicholas: Wow. I'm 'As seen on social media'. OK. To clarify here, I'm not some massively in the loop source who was at the press conference. Plenty of people who were there have twittered and generally spread the word. I'm am not putting the word out, simply relaying the word that's out. Perhaps they're all joking.
Sean: Say it again: I'm not an authority, I am not a first hand source, I wasn't there, I am not telling you something I was told in confidence. I'm not 'confirming' anything, or in a position to confirm anything. Please don't cite me as some sort of 'source' for this, or imagine I've escaped with the Promethean fire or something like that. As we all know, there was a scheduled press conference, full of journalists with smartphones. Within about a picosecond, people there were online telling people who weren't, in various levels of public fora, what had been announced. I am one of the people who read what they said, that's all.

Last edited by The Valeyard; 10-10-13 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Northen Echo has posted their story:
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...g_dust_abroad/
The stories, The Enemy Of The World (1967) and The Web Of Fear (1968) and both starring Patrick Troughton as the second Doctor, have now been remastered by BBC Worldwide, the corporation’s commercial arm.

Phillip Morris, the director of Television International Enterprises Archive, unearthed the programmes by looking up the records of overseas shipments of tapes made by the BBC.

Mr Morris said: ‘‘I remember wiping the dust off the masking tape on the canisters and my heart missed a beat as I saw the words Doctor Who. When I read the story code, I realised I’d found something pretty special.’’ Only one episode of The Enemy Of The World - which featured Deborah Watling as companion Victoria and Frazer Hines, later to find fame in Emmerdale as Jamie - had remained in the archives, so the addition of programmes one, two, four, five and six have completed the story.

Fiona Eastwood, director of consumer products, BBC Worldwide, said: ‘‘We are thrilled with the recent discovery of The Web Of Fear and The Enemy Of The World and we’re very happy to be launching re-mastered versions of these treasured episodes to fans as we celebrate the 50th year of Doctor Who.’’ The BBC still had the first [episode] in the Web Of Fear story, and the new finds mean only number three is missing. The tale introduced Nicholas Courtney as Lethbridge-Stewart, who began with the rank of Colonel but later became Brigadier.

The missing episode has been recreated using 37 still images which were available and the original audio which survived.
The article states that the episodes were found in Nigeria.
Old 10-10-13, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look like the article has been removed. Thanks for posting the info before it disappeared!

No news of any more "pending" episodes?
Old 10-10-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Look like the article has been removed. Thanks for posting the info before it disappeared!

No news of any more "pending" episodes?
Yeah, I'm guessing it either went live early by accident, or they got a nasty phonecall from the BBC.

The article didn't mention anything about any other episodes being found or potentially released. It's possible other articles may go more into that aspect of it, if they're allowed to talk about it at all.
Old 10-10-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The entire article is still cached here.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.