Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 07-17-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,594 Likes on 1,802 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Originally Posted by flansered
David Tennant's blog posted this:

I would want to know if the first four season are upscales before I would even consider purchasing it, especially and the $315 Amazon wants for it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...dition+giftset
Gotta love how, instead of just releasing 1-4, they had to stick the other, previously released series 5-7 blu-rays in there, too, in order to pad out the price and force people who might only want 1-4 to double dip. Grab the Vaseline, fanboys, Auntie Beeb is strappin' the big one on!

I'm surprised it doesn't include the Tennant specials.
Old 07-17-13, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to Amazon and zoom in on the picture, you'll see that case directly above S5 is for "The Complete Specials" (which means S1 is at the top of the box and cannot be seen through the area that is cut out).
Old 07-17-13, 08:44 PM

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Last years limited set came with a toy screwdriver, lithographs and a comic. I wonder if this set will have any freebes like that. But I am just going to wait for individual releases of the older seasons.
Old 07-18-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by diditagain
S1-S4 were not filmed in HD, so they will be upscaled, just like The Next Doctor on the Tennant Specials Blu-ray set (Planet of the Dead, Disc 2 of the Tennant Specials set, was the first "filmed in HD" episode of DW).

However, I'd assume these are being upscaled from PAL masters, which have 576 lines of resolution, so upscaled S1-S4 on Blu-ray (in 1080p, according to the BBC Home Entertainment blurb) should look somewhat better than the NTSC DVDs, which have only 480 lines of resolution.
I've never understood why the Bluray format wasn't given the ability to play straight 576 resolution. Seems it would avoid having to deal with upconversion and it's still a fair chunk better than regular 480 SD.
Old 07-18-13, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've never understood why the Bluray format wasn't given the ability to play straight 576 resolution. Seems it would avoid having to deal with upconversion and it's still a fair chunk better than regular 480 SD.
You still have the problem of 50hz vs 60hz to overcome, though. Everywhere else but the USA, 50hz and 60hz both are required to be in the Blu-ray spec for maximum compatibility.

In the USA (of course), though, devices only have to be compatible with 60hz to be "within spec", which is why several HDTV and players (most notably the ones made by Samsung and Panasonic) are unable to play PAL or 1080i/50 material without it being converted to either NTSC or 1080i/60.

Wonder whose brilliant idea that was, the MPAA + studios, perhaps?

That's why I bought a TV (Sharp) and player (Oppo) that can handle a native PAL signal.
Old 08-01-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

DVDTalk has a review up for The Doctors Revisited, Doctors 1-4:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/60897...revisited-1-4/

These specials originally aired on BBC America. More info on them can be found in this thread on TV Talk:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/608...c-america.html

8/13/2013 has been announced as the release date for the Blu-ray of HD remastered Spearhead From Space, as well as the DVD Special Edition of The Green Death:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...pearhead/18785

There's been some talk of the Spearhead From Space Blu-ray over in HD Talk:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/607...ne-2013-a.html
Old 08-02-13, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

FYI - They aren't transferring over any of the special features from the recent Special Edition like they originally promised. If you want everything regarding Spearhead, you need to buy both the 2-Disc DVD and the Blu-Ray.
Old 08-02-13, 10:12 AM

Wait, I'm confused. My dvd copy of Spearhead is only 1 disc, and it's the special edition rerelease. I am curious to see if the US release will have the reversable cover and booklet that the UK release has.
Old 08-02-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by flansered
Wait, I'm confused. My dvd copy of Spearhead is only 1 disc, and it's the special edition rerelease.
You're correct, the Special Edition is a single DVD, but it does have extras not on the Blu-ray. Of course, the Blu-ray has extras not on the SE DVD.
Old 08-03-13, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My bad. It's 1-Disc. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-03-13, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just watched the Galaxy 4 recreation on the Aztecs SE. I might be the only one of 'my gang' but I definitely prefer reconstructions of missing episodes - with pictures of real actors, clips, added notes when needed and simple CGI - to the animated versions offered on the DVD releases. Although the Galaxy 4 one was a bit botched, with over 30 minutes cut from the original 100min episodes. I wish Loose Cannon would team up with BBC to produce better ones for later releases. Although as I said I think most fans prefer the cheapish animated ones...
Old 08-03-13, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't seen Galaxy 4, but I've really disliked all of the telesnap reconstructions I've seen. Constant re-use of the same images and narration from the script just kills the experience for me.

On the plus side, the Hartnell and Troughton episodes lend themselves well to animated reconstruction since they tend to be simple productions. The sets aren't elaborate; the direction is simple, almost theatrical; and the action is limited.

I also wouldn't object to the episodes being edited down for animated reconstruction. The old serials are paced quite slowly, and could probably be cut down by as much as 30-50%.
Old 08-03-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
You still have the problem of 50hz vs 60hz to overcome, though. Everywhere else but the USA, 50hz and 60hz both are required to be in the Blu-ray spec for maximum compatibility.

In the USA (of course), though, devices only have to be compatible with 60hz to be "within spec", which is why several HDTV and players (most notably the ones made by Samsung and Panasonic) are unable to play PAL or 1080i/50 material without it being converted to either NTSC or 1080i/60.

Wonder whose brilliant idea that was, the MPAA + studios, perhaps?

That's why I bought a TV (Sharp) and player (Oppo) that can handle a native PAL signal.
I have an LG BD630 BluRay player for this. It is NOT all-region, but it automatically reformats a 1080i/50 UK-standard PAL signal to 1080i/60 NTSC. This gives you the flexibility to order BluRays from the UK that are already region-free but that are not US-compatible.

I was able to get the two-season set of Sherlock and the four-season Torchwood omnibus set from Amazon.uk for SIGNIFICANTLY less than the same titles here domestically - Sherlock was $27 per season and Torchwood was over $140 for the entire run from Amazon.com... I got everything for $56 from the UK, including removal of VAT and adding in shipping costs. The player costs $70 new, or $30 for a refurb.
Old 08-05-13, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Peter Capaldi! Yes, finally an older Doctor. I hope he'll be less trendy and cool like all the previous 'new' ones and more serious and bizarre and darkish. And I hope they lose the almighty sonic screwdriver that he uses to get out of almost all situations...
Old 08-07-13, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I have an LG BD630 BluRay player for this. It is NOT all-region, but it automatically reformats a 1080i/50 UK-standard PAL signal to 1080i/60 NTSC. This gives you the flexibility to order BluRays from the UK that are already region-free but that are not US-compatible.
For those who want to know, there is a thread on the BluRay.com forums that maintains a list of US players that are known compatible/incompatible with 50hz discs (and whether they convert them to 60, output them at 50, or give you the choice). It is located here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245
Old 08-07-13, 11:54 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Peter Capaldi! Yes, finally an older Doctor. I hope he'll be less trendy and cool like all the previous 'new' ones and more serious and bizarre and darkish. And I hope they lose the almighty sonic screwdriver that he uses to get out of almost all situations...
Or, Matt Smith was a horribly schlocky actor and they didn't know what else to do with him except to make odd faces and wave the old sonic screwdriver around. Looking forward to a new direction, but I fear with Steven Moffat still at the helm we're just going to get Mr. Bean.
Old 08-29-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone heard if the BBC will be reprinting the DVD of the DW episodes that went OOP? Especially Two Doctors (minus Sexual Satire Savile)? Thanks.
Old 08-29-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I can't imagine they'd let them stay out of print. What are the odds of season sets where there are no missing eps?
Old 08-29-13, 09:52 AM

I heard that there was no plans to reissue any of them at the moment. If you're region free I think all of them except The Two Doctors are still in print in the UK, or you could check some sites like Mike's Comics. I was able to order Ghost Light, Battlefield, and a few others from there after the OOP announcement.
Old 08-29-13, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks. I also don't think the BBC will let those regular DVDs go OOP for long. I'll wait til the prices come down on my missing ones. worst comes to worst I'll get Two Docs in England. I imagine they just want to get rid of that Jimmy Savile extra...
Old 08-29-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Tenth Planet comes out on Nov. 19. Even tho TVShowsonDVD is reporting it's 3-Discs, more than likely it'll be 2-Discs like it's UK counterpart.
Old 09-05-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So.... The upcoming "Doctor Who: The Complete Series 1-7" Blu-Ray set will have the entire series remastered in 1080p. Previous Blu-Ray releases have been 1080i. There will also be a bonus Blu-Ray with exclusive content.

A few months back, I posed a query to Twitter asking if anyone knew of plans to release the Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant Doctor Who seasons on blu-ray. Many told me it would never happen because of technical reasons I couldn’t quite grasp (they can put Hitchcock films on blu-ray, why not something from 2005?) but I held out hope considering, you know, the 50th anniversary is a great opportunity to sell stuff. Lo and behold, an email from BBC Home Entertainment landed in my inbox with news of a giant blu-ray release. Hit the jump for details.

Doctor Who: The Complete Series 1-7 Limited Edition Blu-ray Gift Set includes:

New to Blu-ray/ 1080p Resolution:
Doctor Who: The Complete First Series, starring Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper
Doctor Who: The Complete Second Series, starring David Tennant and Billie Piper
Doctor Who: The Complete Third Series, starring David Tennant and Freema Agyeman
Doctor Who: The Complete Fourth Series, starring David Tennant and Catherine Tate

Also included in 1080p Resolution:
Doctor Who: The Complete Specials, starring David Tennant
Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series, starring Matt Smith and Karen Gillan
Doctor Who: The Complete Sixth Series, starring Matt Smith, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill
Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series, starring Matt Smith, Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, and Jenna-Louise Coleman

You’ll also get special features: “The Doctor Who Ultimate List of Lists” from BBC AMERICA’s The Brit List, Doctor Who at the Proms 2010, Doctor Who: The Best of the Christmas Specials. And then there are the things you can hold!

The Doctor Who Universal Remote Control Sonic Screwdriver
3 exclusive original art cards
An exclusive Doctor Who comic book
The Mary Sue

The Knights have posted the entire press release on their blog.

The Bonus Blu-Ray will include:

Bonus Blu-ray disc includes:

· “The Doctor Who Ultimate List of Lists” from BBC AMERICA’s The Brit List - BBC AMERICA’s pop culture correspondent, Asha Leo (@ashaleo), is joined by special guest John Barrowman (“Torchwood,” “Doctor Who”) to announce the rankings of the “Top Five Companions,” “Top Five Scariest Moments,” “Top Five Best Monsters,” “Top Five Guest Stars” and “Top Five Things You’ll Only See on Doctor Who.” Rankings are based on votes from readers of BBCAMERICA.com’s Anglophenia blog.

· Doctor Who at the Proms 2010 - Doctor Who’s own Karen Gillen and Arthur Darvill host a spectacular evening of music from the series played live by the London Philharmonic Orchestra at London’s historic Royal Albert Hall. Includes video projections, appearances by the monsters and a special guest appearance from 11th Doctor Matt Smith. For the first time, the collection will include the full 90-minute concert and has been remastered in 5.1 Surround Sound.

· Doctor Who: The Best of the Christmas Specials - This previously unreleased special from December 2011 takes an inside look at the very best moments from the incredible Doctor Who Christmas specials that have captivated audiences around the world. A collection of fans from the celebrity, comedy, sci-fi and digital worlds discuss their favorite moments from both David Tennant and Matt Smith era Christmas episodes.
Old 09-05-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The stuff on the bonus disc sounds really *meh*.

If the Smith blu-rays have been remastered, does that mean they've finally fixed the fucked-up transfers of series six? Will they let us exchange our old set for the new one?
Old 09-05-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The best part of that Bonus disc is the full version of the Doctor Who at the Proms. If I can find that disc alone, I'd pick it up for the Proms. The other 2 extras are fluff.

You haven't exchanged your Series 6 discs yet? They offered replacements a year or so ago.
Old 09-06-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
You haven't exchanged your Series 6 discs yet? They offered replacements a year or so ago.
No. Never got around to it. I really don't like the idea of sending in my discs and waiting for a replacement. With such transactions I'm always paranoid that someone is going to misplace my package and I won't get my replacements.

At least when Paramount fucked up the first season blu-ray of ST:TNG they didn't require us to send back our discs to get replacements.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.