Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 06-13-13, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,870 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

I remember when they recovered the Tomb of the Cybermen episodes back in the early 90s. To me, that was like finding a priceless artifact. A story I thought I'd never see was finally available.
I didn't know there were missing Doctor Who episodes until about twelve years ago.

I remember watching Doctor Who (Tom Baker/Peter Davison) on my local PBS station when I was a kid. Then they picked up the Pertwee episodes and I watched those. They eventually started showing the Hartnell/Troughton episodes, but I stopped watching those because they were skipping over a lot of episodes.

It wasn't until much later that I found out there actually a ton of Doctor Who episodes that were missing. Strangely enough, the fact that the BBC trashed all of the 1960s Doctor Who stories wasn't something that was advertised or discussed much in the 1980s.
Old 06-13-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

My local PBS only ran Pertwee to McCoy. They were planning to run Hartnell and Troughton toward the end but that fell through. The first time I heard about the missing episodes was in a Doctor Who Monthly article. Had to been around the late 80s.
Old 06-13-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My PBS station growing up (KPTS, Channel 8, out of Wichita, KS) played a ton of science fiction during the mid-80s.

In addition to Doctor Who, they also showed The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, Tripods, Blake's 7, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and Star Trek. So my childhood was filled with a healthy dose of classic science fiction. I started tuning out on Doctor Who during the Colin Baker/Sylvester McCoy years, though, as I was growing older and more dissatisfied with the direction the show was taking.

I think KPTS ran Doctor Who through the mid-90s until there was a coup at the station and the programming director who backed Doctor Who and the other science fiction series was forced out and the new management immediately cancelled Doctor Who. Which, I thought, was a dick move. From what I recall, the subscribers who backed Doctor Who and the other sci-fi programs had their funds earmarked for those programs.
Old 06-13-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,398 Likes on 1,025 Posts

The first time I heard about episodes being recovered from overseas TV stations and such, there was always a part of me that thought somebody out there was sitting on them. Either not knowing what they were or too afraid of dealing with the BBC.

I hope that if it's not everything it will be enough to push them over the edge of having the remainder animated.
Old 06-13-13, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is really great news about more lost episodes being found. This might be a stupid question, but if they were able to use technology to pull a color signal out of black and white footage of The Mind Of Evil, might it be possible to pull the signal of the lost episodes off of the tapes they recorded over?

By the way, has it ever been revealed what programs they recorded over the lost episodes?
Old 06-13-13, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
That is really great news about more lost episodes being found. This might be a stupid question, but if they were able to use technology to pull a color signal out of black and white footage of The Mind Of Evil, might it be possible to pull the signal of the lost episodes off of the tapes they recorded over?
It's not news, just a rumor. Sometimes this stuff pans out, sometimes it doesn't. A lot of this depends on where Rich is getting his information. I'm hoping that Rich wouldn't have run the story if he didn't have something solid.

As far as recovering any programming that was "recorded over," I'm pretty sure that's impossible.
Old 06-14-13, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's not news, just a rumor. Sometimes this stuff pans out, sometimes it doesn't.
Exactly, and that is precisely the reason I wish that TV Shows On DVD had kept quiet about it (as their post said: they generally don't post rumours. I wish they'd have stuck to that).

The thing is, with Doctor Who "xxx episode has been found/returned/etc" stories keep appearing and reappearing at regular intervals, and the thing at Bleeding Cool seems to simply be an amalgamation of various rumours and other bits of stuff that have been doing the rounds for months and months (a totally debunked rumour about Power of the Daleks from earlier in the year), and seems to be slightly mixed-in with the whole Sierra Leone thing from last year ("most of Hartnell"). There's also some flat-out wrong information in there ("Evil" was never sold to Africa, for a start).

The fact this is the anniversary year seems to make this bit of "news" a little too convenient to be true. I'd love to be proven wrong, but this smells more like a cruel prank than anything else.

Please, please, don't get your hopes up, and if something ever does pan out with this story, then be suitably (and pleasantly) surprised.

Last edited by mythmaker18; 06-17-13 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-17-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bleeding Cool on it's own rumor:

More On Those Missing Doctor Who Episodes... Or Less

Today I feel I have entered into, however briefly, a Doctor Who cabal made up of superfans, Doctor Who writers past and present, producers, managers and executive types. And then been kicked to the kerb.

A few months ago, I came across rumours that there were a huge amount of the missing Doctor Who episodes about to be returned to the BBC. Then I heard it again. And then I heard it from someone who really should know one way or another. So last week, I ran the rumours on Bleeding Cool, stating that's exactly what they were.

And all hell broke loose. Some were confirming the stories, some were denying it. But what was clear was that I'd broken the dam on a huge pent up amount of hope, fear and despair that had remained on message boards, in pub meetups, some behind private member forums and firewalls since late last year.

I'm now going to give you more details on the rumoured missing episodes that are reported to have been found.

Of the one hundred and six missing episodes, they comprise ninety of them. The only ones not included are nine episodes of The Dalek Master Plan, plus Mission To The Unknown, two episodes of The Invasion, two episodes of The Ice Warriors, and two episodes of The Wheel In Space.

So that's not quite The Full Hartnell, but it's pretty close. And that's an awful lot more Troughton than I was expecting.

And that the BBC have been negotiating their safe return. That Steven Moffat, Russell T Davies, Mark Gatiss, Caroline Skinner, all the main players, the Cardiff production office, Doctor Who Magazine are aware of what's happening.

But this is bigger than Doctor Who. This is eight thousand recovered films including the likes of missing Dad's Army, Out Of The Unknown, Morecambe And Wise, The Sky At Night and more. Including ninety missing Doctor Who films and potentially better quality prints of already recovered shows. Such as three separate sets of Doctor Who: Marco Polo - one poor quality, two in excellent nick.

And I was told, an by a member of the cloth, no less, that at a convention a few weeks ago, ex-Who producer Andrew Cartmel told a small group of 15-20 people in Atlanta to expect news about returned episodes very soon. Though now he tweets:

@DreadSinister Sorry, I don't have any special knowledge about this. I hope they find all of them, though.
? Andrew Cartmel (@andrewcartmel) June 15, 2013

But - and here is where it goes all sour - there is an increasing belief by people involved in this that it is a massive hoax perpetrated against the BBC, by a man playing up his own eccentricities for negotiation purposes, but at no point giving any real evidence that he had copies of the episodes in question.

And that huge amounts of time, effort and money have been spent on something that just isn't there. That so many senior people were conned, partly through offering them wish fulfilment, partly by them not wanting to give up the hope that these episodes could exist somewhere.

And with that knowledge ringing in my ears, I was kicked out of the TARDIS, deposited on Earth in the 21st century and was left, with Vworp Vworp ringing in my ears. Now I know how Tegan felt.

All I'm left is with ex-Who script consultant and a man responsible for us having as many episodes as we do, Ian Levine, tweeting:

"There will always be 106 Doctor Who episodes missing". And yes you can quote me on that.

? Ian Levine (@IanLevine) June 15, 2013

My previous tweet was not ironic. I too wanted to believe ninety episodes had been found. I now believe none have been found. A massive hoax

? Ian Levine (@IanLevine) June 15, 2013

I can't give up like that however. For a start, those episodes were transmitted fifty years ago. However faint, distorted and diluted, those signals have travelled fifty light years from Earth now, passing all manner of solar systems. One of them may host sentient life with interstellar flight technology, and may have the skills to capture and enhance those signals. And a spacecraft might be currently heading towards us ready to drop them off.

I mean, any contact with an alien race would be amazing. But even more so if they brought back old episodes of Doctor Who with them, yes?

Bleeding Cool reports rumours and news. These are most definitely rumours, but they come from the kind of people who should have some inkling as to their truth or not.

But they, like us, all want to believe...
Old 06-17-13, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Could be the beeb is passed about their thunder being stolen and is pushing back or it could be just a hoax.

But I still believe there's got to be some thing out there.
Old 06-18-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh my...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...ee-tons-worth/

From Ian Levine's twitter account yesterday:

Look,I DO believe no episodes have been found,based on what certain people told me at the BFI. But I suppose they could have lied to my face
From Ian Levine's twitter account today:

I am so fucking speechless, I have no idea how I am going to sleep tonight. I was utterly wrong, but I was lied to, yes barefaced lied to.

I have just seen "three tons" of evidence that tells me it's all true. Saying no more. Apart from I now believe it again.

I've just been given proof that backs up the entire story,from 2011. So yes I now really believe he has found 90 missing episodes
The plot thickens...

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 06-18-13 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-18-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh snap! That's a strange turn of events.
Old 06-18-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One interesting thing about this rumor is that the sixteen episodes now unaccounted for would be nine from "The Dalek's Masterplan," "Mission to the Unknown," two from "The Invasion," two from "The Ice Warriors," and two from "The Wheel in Space."

Of those sixteen, four have already had animated reconstructions made to complete the story (Invasion and Ice Warriors), and it will give Wheel in Space two more episodes, leaving only two missing from that one. (Actually, this claim, that of the sixteen episodes still lost, four of them are included in the reconstructions gives me a bit of pause; it's the kind of thing someone would pull out of their ass to tantalize us.)

Which leaves the only incomplete stories as "Mission to the Unknown," (single episode) "The Dalek's Masterplan" (missing 9 out of 12) and "The Wheel in Space" (missing 2 out of 6). Twelve lost episodes... eleven if we count Levine's reconstruction of "Mission to the Unknown."

If (and it's still a big fat IF) this does pan out... I wonder if we'll get reconstructions of those eleven/twelve episodes to complete the Doctor Who run.
Old 06-19-13, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who exactly is Levine?
Old 06-19-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Who exactly is Levine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Levine#Doctor_Who
Old 06-19-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

...and the BBC responds to the rumors. (or "rumours")

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...r-who-rumours/

There are always rumours and speculation about Doctor Who missing episodes being discovered, however we cannot confirm any new finds.
Maybe I'm reading too much into that statement, but that doesn't sound like a denial...
Old 06-19-13, 02:46 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Who exactly is Levine?
Ian Levine is a English DJ who is also a huge Doctor Who fan, and he helped stop the wiping of older episodes. He also is responsible for this bit of Doctor Who related awfulness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1AjE4eDH8
Old 06-19-13, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This would be absolutely fantastic if it's true...
Old 06-20-13, 09:31 AM

As I said previously, this is almost 100% likely to be untrue, and the below totally refutes Ian Levine's "proof":

From the TIEA Facebook page:

A BRIEF STATEMENT .
T.I.E.A DOES NOT HOLD ANY MISSING EPISODES OF THE LONG RUNNING DR WHO SERIES. THE ORIGINAL VIDEO TAPES WERE WIPED SUBSEQUENT FILM COPIES WERE EITHER RETURNED TO THE BBC AND SENT TO LANDFILL ODD FRAGMENTS HAVE SURFACED TWO EPISODES ON 16MM FILM BUT THATS IT. THE PROGRAMMES IN QUESTION LIKE MANY OTHERS WERE DESTROYED AS THEY HAD NO FURTHER COMMERCIAL VALUE .THEY ARE NOT MISSING BUT DESTROYED THE END.I am sorry if this upsets some people but these are the facts.I have also become aware of the tracking of some of our clients shipments these are local cultural materials sent to us for migration to a modern format as the playback equipment in the country of origin no longer exists and as such is the best road to preserve international cultural heritage .I will be making no more statements on this subject.Philip MORRIS Executive director T.i.e.a

For those who don't know, T.I.E.A. is the company that was receiving shipment of the "large amount of film" that Ian saw as 'proof' these rumours were true. If Morris' statement above seems a little bit curt (or rude), it's probably because rabid Doctor Who fans have been hounding him about these rumours. Some have even dared to accuse him of lying about not having episodes, some have basically "stalked" him online, tracked his shipments, claimed he was extorting/blackmailing the BBC, etc. I know it would make me mad if I were the victim.

It just goes to show how literally insane (or in need of lives) some Doctor Who fans are (I count myself a fan, but not to the lengths that some choose to go).

If this was a prank (rather than just rumours snowballing out of proportion), then the hoaxster can take pride in the fact he managed not only to fool Ian Levine, but get him to call other people "liars" and end up damaging his relationships with them.

So, again, don't get yer hopes up.

Last edited by mythmaker18; 06-20-13 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who fans. Keeping classy since 1963.
Old 06-20-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doctor Who fans. Keeping classy since 1963.
It seems, in some cases, it would be 'crassy' since 1963
Old 06-24-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

...and Rich is still banging the drum (or beating the dead horse)...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...ho-the-zygons/

Short version: There might be a preview of a previously "lost" Troughton episode on the upcoming "Terror of the Zygons" DVD. Someone might be sitting on a huge pile of missing Doctor Who episodes, but they won't release them. The BBC might be sitting on lost Doctor Who episodes in order to clean them up, or just to be dicks.

This is getting into conspiracy theory territory...
Old 06-24-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ridiculous. I thought this mysterious man held 3 tons of BBC material that included missing Who episodes. Just some guy who helped himself to shows once they past their shelf life.

Now it sounds like a die-hard, Ian Levine-type fan who wants the materials released in the best possible format and demands that Moffat be removed from the new show.

The traffic to Rich's site must have been great to keep the rumor going after it's been repeatedly shot down.
Old 06-24-13, 02:50 PM

Anyone who takes these increasingly unbelievable rumours seriously deserves to be fooled! It's no wonder hoaxsters out there have been playing these sort of pranks on Doctor Who fans for decades: it's just too easy!
Old 06-24-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ridiculous. I thought this mysterious man held 3 tons of BBC material that included missing Who episodes. Just some guy who helped himself to shows once they past their shelf life.

Now it sounds like a die-hard, Ian Levine-type fan who wants the materials released in the best possible format and demands that Moffat be removed from the new show.

The traffic to Rich's site must have been great to keep the rumor going after it's been repeatedly shot down.
I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but the comments about wanting Moffat gone sound too much like something a real "superfan" would do to make me completely dismiss this latest round of rumors. This thread alone has "fans" taking shots at fellow fans, this bit sounds painfully close to the truth.

edited to add:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The BBC might be sitting on lost Doctor Who episodes in order to clean them up, or just to be dicks.
This is a company that has re-released multiple story arcs in "special editions" and charges obscene prices for the current series season sets. Maybe the hoaxer just knows how to push my buttons, but this also sounds painfully close to the truth.
Old 06-24-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's hard to tell what's going on here.

Rich seldom sources his stories. He'll run publicly available things off of facebook, twitter, blogs, and message boards without attribution like he's got some kind of inside information. Sometimes he does have inside information, and sometimes he's just repeating what he read on someone's blog.

When this story first broke on BC, I was optimistic because it seemed like someone at the BBC (or elsewhere in "the know") might be whispering things in Rich's ear.

Then I found out that these rumors had been floating around for awhile now. Here's one from last month. Now, if I had known that these rumors were already out there in the public domain, I probably wouldn't have given Rich's story as much credence given his MO.

And then Rich runs these things without mentioning where they come from, and it looks like he has some kind of big scoop, the people who have been posting these rumors (possibly the same ones Rich got his "scoop" from in the first place) then take his stories as confirmation, and the whole thing snowballs. Is he just repeating the stuff he's read elsewhere without providing links, or does he actually have inside information? He won't make that distinction.

As far as the hypothetical "fan" who's holding missing episodes hostage until Moffat is fired goes, I have heard occasional claims that some missing episodes may be in the hands of private collectors who want to keep them all for themselves and won't release them. I'd really hate to think that a Doctor Who fan would do that, though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.