Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 05-28-13, 11:05 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
You can get both Battlefield and Ghost Light at their regular price (30 odd for the first 20 odd for the second) from Amazon.CA. The Two Doctors isn't listed as OOP but goes for around 80$ on the market!!!
Two Doctors went OOP of print about 2 months ago.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but it's a UK exclusive coming out next month and it will have The Tenth Planet animated episodes on it. Seems neat, but I don't think I will be buying it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
Old 05-28-13, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by flansered
Two Doctors went OOP of print about 2 months ago.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but it's a UK exclusive coming out next month and it will have The Tenth Planet animated episodes on it. Seems neat, but I don't think I will be buying it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
What a pointless fucking set. Looks like nothing more than a way for them to charge quadruple price for "The Tenth Planet."

Do Doctor Who fans ever get tired of being ass-fucked by BBC/2entertain/Lionheart or whoever is responsible for high prices, constant SE reissues, and a lack of reasonably-priced season sets?
Old 05-28-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my replacement for "The Beginning" set today. It came in a matching black case instead of the clear one - and it had the same incorrect labels on discs 2 & 3!!

I found Series 7 Volume 2 today, but no sign of the Snow Men disc at any of the stores.

Last edited by Disc-Flipper; 05-28-13 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-29-13, 02:35 PM

I saw The Snowmen at Moviestop, but it was on DVD. At this point I'm waiting on the complete season to be released on bluray.
Old 05-29-13, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Do Doctor Who fans ever get tired of being ass-fucked by BBC/2entertain/Lionheart or whoever is responsible for high prices, constant SE reissues, and a lack of reasonably-priced season sets?
I likely said it before, but I'm waiting for the dust to settle before buying any more classic Who. At this point, I own the original "Key To Time" box (superseded), the "Trial of of a Timelord" box, the "Lost in Time" rarities collection, the original R2 "Doctor Who: The Movie" (superseded), three or four commercial VHS releases, and that's it. (I do have nearly every storyline on VHS from when they ran on PBS.) I wish the BBC would release a new "Lost in Time" supplement every so often, rather than double-dipping elsewhere.

Once the Beeb gets this "deluxe edition" nonsense out of its system, I can't see them going to 3-DVD sets, so then I think we'll see full-season (or full-Doctor) sets...with new material. And beyond that, maybe a move to Blu-Ray (still SD, of course) to reduce disk count...with more new material. Every dollar I don't spent on classic Who is a dollar I can spend on something else for my video collection (and my wants list is still quite full), so it's not a bad deal.

I have every intention of waiting them out, and I can be very, very patient.
Old 05-29-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,402 Likes on 1,027 Posts

A big chunk of our collection came from when we found several titles at a used store. We also always wait for Amazon sales and such.

I realize they're having to dump money into these restorations, but at this point with Who's popularity around the world, I'd think they could drop the prices on some of this stuff to get it into more hands.
Old 05-29-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Probably not. I've been getting reamed by the BBC since the early 80s. The BEEB and any company that ever held the license (Big Finish, Dapol, Virgin, Marvel, etc). Doctor Who merchandise has always been over-priced.
Old 05-29-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got my replacement for "The Beginning" set today. It came in a matching black case instead of the clear one - and it had the same incorrect labels on discs 2 & 3!!
Thanks for mentioning this. I got mine last week but didn't open it thinking it was all right and wanting to keep it sealed until I needed to rewatch them (I had a few weeks ago so wouldn't need to see them before a bit). I opened it today and same problem as before. 2 and 3 labels switched. Wrote back to the BBC guy but no answer as of yet...
Old 05-31-13, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
I'm sure these will be back in print soon, maybe with new artwork/packaging. The Beginning and I think it was the E-Space Trilogy set both went out of print, only to get re-released with different packaging. Plus with the 50th Anniversary being months away and there being other classic Who releases this year they'll probably want to cash in on that.
You may be right in most cases, but it should be noted that while several of these titles are OOP in the US, in the UK only The Two Doctors has been allowed to go OOP (not counting titles that got replaced with SEs). That's the only title that's OOP worldwide right now.

I'd say the reason why is probably because of the Jim'll Fix it bonus feature ("A Fix With Sontarans"), since it features footage of Jimmy Saville, who as most of us probably know, has been revealed to have allegedly molested/raped several young women (as young as 14) dating back decades.

Now, since the BBC said (informally) years ago that none of the Doctor Who titles would be allowed to go OOP in the UK (as had happened with several titles on VHS years ago), the fact this one has gone OOP suggests that maybe the BBC are wanting to tinker around with the bonus features before putting it back out.

I suspect when Two Doctors comes back out, it'll either be minus the Jim'll Fix It segment, or the footage will be trimmed so that "Sir Jimmy" no longer appears.

It's been said that some (or all) of the location film was located for The Two Doctors. If this is indeed true, they may want to make an SE for this story anyway as replacing the film from A/B rolls would make a significant increase in picture quality (compare SE of The Visitation to the original release).

Even if they don't, I wouldn't expect "A Fix With Sontarans" to escape editing (or deletion) when the title is added back to the catalogue.
Old 05-31-13, 09:15 AM

Well, Josh, no one is forcing you to double-dip or even buy them at all. I'm glad of the SEs, because in almost all instances, they've resulted in improved picture quality and/or errors/bugs getting fixed. If you're a savvy shopper like me, you'll have avoided buying many of the 'problem' releases the first time around anyway. I can only think of one or two SEs that would require me to double-dip if I want them.

As for the high prices, classic Doctor Who is a niche title over here. It's never going to sell lots of copies, so that's part of why it's not heavily discounted in R1. In R2, however, the titles drop in price more frequently (and by larger amounts), so a long time ago, I sold all my R1 discs and switched to R2, primarily to save money, but also because I have a multi-system setup anyway (so I get the slightly-better picture quality from the original PAL format).

As for lack of season sets, it's partly down to economics, but also down to the fact that some stories needed a ton of restoration work, while others did not, and in the case of Pertwee, you could have had that exact mix of stories (some needing much more work that others) all in the same season. It just wasn't feasible, unless we were going to get "unrestored" episodes (which, I think, none of us would have wanted).

I'm sure, though, as soon as all the complete stories are released, season sets will be inevitable (though the B/W episodes will probably be released in "volumes" since complete seasons aren't possible there). I'd expect some sort of announcement in 2014.

I doubt any such season sets would have any "new" extras. They'd probably be just the same discs in less packaging for a cheaper price (or they might even have some of the bonus features left-off to get the disc count down).
Old 05-31-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Well, Josh, no one is forcing you to double-dip or even buy them at all. I'm glad of the SEs, because in almost all instances, they've resulted in improved picture quality and/or errors/bugs getting fixed. If you're a savvy shopper like me, you'll have avoided buying many of the 'problem' releases the first time around anyway. I can only think of one or two SEs that would require me to double-dip if I want them.

As for the high prices, classic Doctor Who is a niche title over here. It's never going to sell lots of copies, so that's part of why it's not heavily discounted in R1. In R2, however, the titles drop in price more frequently (and by larger amounts), so a long time ago, I sold all my R1 discs and switched to R2, primarily to save money, but also because I have a multi-system setup anyway (so I get the slightly-better picture quality from the original PAL format).

As for lack of season sets, it's partly down to economics, but also down to the fact that some stories needed a ton of restoration work, while others did not, and in the case of Pertwee, you could have had that exact mix of stories (some needing much more work that others) all in the same season. It just wasn't feasible, unless we were going to get "unrestored" episodes (which, I think, none of us would have wanted).

I'm sure, though, as soon as all the complete stories are released, season sets will be inevitable (though the B/W episodes will probably be released in "volumes" since complete seasons aren't possible there). I'd expect some sort of announcement in 2014.

I doubt any such season sets would have any "new" extras. They'd probably be just the same discs in less packaging for a cheaper price (or they might even have some of the bonus features left-off to get the disc count down).

You know, I've kinda defended the high pricing for a while because I knew it was a niche title and they needed restoration and such, but I'm also starting to see other types of "niche" titles get released by companies like Media Blasters, Mill Creek, etc, that contain reasonably good transfers and plenty of extras (like the Gamera trilogy and the Daimajin trilogy on Bluray) that have extremely casual buyer friendly prices.

BBC needs to come to a realization that they need to sweeten the deal on titles like this. If something needs a massive restoration (esp where they're animating the episodes), then a higher MSRP is justified. But a simple tape to DVD dump with minimal extras needs sell-through pricing. I'd love to own all of Who on DVD, but I'll continue to cherry pick via sales and finding used discs. As long as they have subtitles and a reasonable transfer for my Bluray player to upconvert, then it's fine. Dropping the prices, and maybe offering more bundles of consecutive stories, would make me buy a lot more a lot sooner.
Old 05-31-13, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
But a simple tape to DVD dump with minimal extras needs sell-through pricing.

Apart from the original R1 release of The Key to Time and maybe the first release of The Five Doctors (the very first DW DVD), I don't think that any of the classic series releases have been "tape to DVD dumps". Certainly, not since the very earliest days of the range (apart from that one R1 aberration).

All of the episodes that exist on PAL625 masters have (by now) been run through the Transform Decoder to gain improved picture (you can compare the original and SE releases of Ark in Space for that) and had the video re-graded, at the bare minimum. Stories where film inserts exist have had those A/B rolls re-telecined, transferred, graded, dropped back in, etc. to improve things. And, of course, the B/W stories and non-625VT Pertwees have had as much (and in some cases, more) restoration than the B/W ones.

In R2, they started out with a few "budget" titles (I think Black Orchid was one), but the concept only lasted for a couple of releases, so most releases have had bonus features/value-added content created specifically for them. The amount of extras-light releases can probably be counted on one hand.

Now, whether the US wing of the BBC ever lowered the price of those few budget titles, I have no idea. I always felt the US releases were way overpriced compared to the UK ones (though I can understand why), but that's part of why I switched to the R2s anyway.
Old 05-31-13, 02:06 PM

If anyone's interested, the new 2 disc versions of The Ark in Space and The Aztecs are both on sale for $12.99 at Best Buy and Amazon.
Old 05-31-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find pretty much ALL of the BBC releases are always more expensive than the same-disk count same-type-show US television outputs. TV Movies and series are usually 8-10$ pricier. Stuff like Waking The Dead, Ripper Street, Survivors (Terry Nation)Outcasts, etc is rather expensive when it comes out. Too bad cause they do produce great television! I have a big BBC wish-list but not the funds to support it
Old 05-31-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Apart from the original R1 release of The Key to Time and maybe the first release of The Five Doctors (the very first DW DVD), I don't think that any of the classic series releases have been "tape to DVD dumps". Certainly, not since the very earliest days of the range (apart from that one R1 aberration).

All of the episodes that exist on PAL625 masters have (by now) been run through the Transform Decoder to gain improved picture (you can compare the original and SE releases of Ark in Space for that) and had the video re-graded, at the bare minimum. Stories where film inserts exist have had those A/B rolls re-telecined, transferred, graded, dropped back in, etc. to improve things. And, of course, the B/W stories and non-625VT Pertwees have had as much (and in some cases, more) restoration than the B/W ones.

In R2, they started out with a few "budget" titles (I think Black Orchid was one), but the concept only lasted for a couple of releases, so most releases have had bonus features/value-added content created specifically for them. The amount of extras-light releases can probably be counted on one hand.

Now, whether the US wing of the BBC ever lowered the price of those few budget titles, I have no idea. I always felt the US releases were way overpriced compared to the UK ones (though I can understand why), but that's part of why I switched to the R2s anyway.
All right, that's a bit of work, granted. But it still seems like the kind of mastering and authoring work that every other studio does and only people like BBC and Criterion are charging premium prices for it. There's got to be a point on the curve where reducing the price will cause more sales and make up the difference of the higher price tag.
Old 05-31-13, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
There's got to be a point on the curve where reducing the price will cause more sales and make up the difference of the higher price tag.
Well, as I said, they do regularly mark down the titles in the UK, as well as bundling more of them together into multi-story boxsets (saving more money). It's the U.S. office who seem to have the problem with discounts.

It amazes me how expensive the "new series" seasons set have remained (until recently), when they're dirt-cheap by comparison in the UK. You can buy a R2 boxset with series 1-4 for about US$55.00 delivered. Meanwhile, you'll pay that much for series 4 by itself if you buy the Region 1.
Old 06-02-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matt Smith is leaving the "Doctor Who" universe after four years. BBC announced the exit on Saturday.
Old 06-03-13, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, I really liked him at first, and was hoping we would have somebody to rival Baker's run on the show, but I have to admit he's wearing a little thin on me.

I'd love to see them go in a new direction for the next Doctor, like a blend of say, Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.
Old 06-03-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know, I really liked him at first
I did too, mildly. Nothing like Tennant or even Eccleston. But the last season, its just bragging, speed babbling, over the top cleverness, etc. I think it might be Moffats's fault as much as Matt Smith's, so a new all around house cleaning would be beneficial.
In any case, I'm still a sucker for the old classic series. More children geared (which doesn't stop us adults from loving it) with great, simpler, scripts and not as much in-your-face high voltage spectacle.
Bring back Robert Holmes from the grave I say!!!
Old 06-05-13, 01:15 AM

I liked Smith's run and I'll miss him, but this last season of Doctor Who, while not bad, didn't have me all that impressed.

Series Spoilers

I liked that they brought back The Great Intelligence, but feel they should have done more with him. Not every single episode needed him, but you get three episodes of him and then he just jumps off into The Doctor's time stream and he's going to reverse every single victory The Doctor had? Like stopping Davros and The Daleks in Journey's End which would mean the death of everything that wasn't a Dalek, including The Great Intelligence?

And then we're supposed to believe that Clara is going to be able to help The Doctor reverse all of these victories that The Great Intelligence reversed? I didn't think the Clara character was bad, but if she's going to be the reason why The Doctor chose the TARDIS that he did and won every time he did that's a big fuck you to all of the past Doctor's and past companions. I can just imagine Jon Pertwee's Doctor and Sarah Jane not sure about what they should do and then there's Clara in a corner going "Psst!"

I'm also kind of tired of this thing they've been doing where every single companion is the most important girl The Doctor has ever had in his life. I don't expect The Doctor to say to a companion (except for Adric) "You're the most unimportant thing in the world. Go fuck yourself.", but with Rose, Amy, and Clara they're all the most important in the world and there's a sort of romantic relationship at times, but it never gets pursued. Then he goes on to sulk when they're gone. Understandable that he would sulk, but it's become so expected.

For this year being the 50th anniversary I think they could have done better. Sure, the 50th anniversary episode hasn't aired yet and I may be proven wrong. Hopefully I am. But the most you're going to do with paying tribute to the past Doctors is showing clips of them? I'm fine with having David Tennant in the 50th anniversary episode, but why not the rest of the living Doctors? Most of them are still alive and I think all of them except for Eccleston are willing to take part. It's not all that common for a series to be around for 50 years and if there's any time at all to pay tribute to the show's past now is the time. Yes, they did a great job with The Cybermen this season (at least in my opinion), and again I liked having The Great Intelligence back. But if you're going to have this show share the same continuity with classic Doctor Who, at least give the past a grand tribute on its 50 year anniversary. Reaching back 4 years to have David Tennant and Billie Piper on isn't horrible, but to exclude so many others is.

I still really enjoy Doctor Who including this season and I will still watch the 50th anniversary, but if this is the best that Moffat and his team can come up with then maybe there needs to be a new creative team.

Now that I'm done ranting, I wonder what the chances are that Real Time will get released on DVD since Scream Of The Shalka gets a DVD release this year.
Old 06-12-13, 09:42 PM
Banned

I was really looking forward to the "this universe" cybermen, hoping that they'd be like they were supposed to. But.....no. They were just as weak and robotic as the parallel universe cybermen. So stacatto (sp?) and monotone. In the original series, they had personality and were far more scary than they've been since 2005. I haven't really liked any of the last two years of the show. Especially the "Name Of The Doctor" episode. They just lied to us all over the place. We were promised all these answers to Doctor Who questions we had....but all they told us was stuff we'd figured out months before. And I'll point out a mistake. In the episode, TARDIS's were shown to be big tubes, when in fact, they are big rectangular boxes rather like wardrobes.

It is a shame, though, that Elizabeth Sladen is dead and can't be in the anniversary special. Same for Nicholas Courtney.
Old 06-12-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spearhead From Space is coming to Blu-Ray & The Green Death: SE is coming to DVD on August 13th.
Old 06-12-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
It is a shame, though, that Elizabeth Sladen is dead and can't be in the anniversary special. Same for Nicholas Courtney.
A while back I read (on bleedingcool?) that original plan for the final Tennant story, "The End of Time" was to have featured the Brigadier. Unfortunately, due to his failing health, Nick Courtney was unable to appear and the part was rewritten for Wilfred Mott. You can sort of see how the part was originally envisioned for the Brig with all of the references to Wilfred's military service scattered throughout the episode between Wilf and the Doctor which weren't there in previous episodes.
Old 06-13-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/...s-in-november/

Rumor has it that a large number of 'missing' Doctor Who episodes have been recovered in Africa.
Old 06-13-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read that earlier today. If it's true, that would be absolutely FANTASTIC!

I remember when they recovered the Tomb of the Cybermen episodes back in the early 90s. To me, that was like finding a priceless artifact. A story I thought I'd never see was finally available.

Hopefully, this rumor turns out to be true. What a great way to celebrate the 50th Anniversary.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.