Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 01-09-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Doctor Who Spin-off news: The complete Series 1 for K9 will be released on DVD (Region 1) in Spring 2013. It's US premiere is on Christmas Day on SyFy.
That is one dopey looking tin dog.

I still regret not buying the radio-controlled K9 when I was in London a few years back. It had the "battle-damage" side opened and I thought that was the only way you could display it. I was smart enough to pick up a 1/6 RC black Dalek at the Who Shop on a previous trip, thankfully.
Old 01-09-13, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I know it's already been reported that the Series 5 & 6 Blu-Rays are on sale for $19.99 at Best Buy but I stopped by today and noticed that 3 classic titles are $9.99 until January 12. The titles are Castrovalva, The Ark and Survival. Survival is a great deal as it's a two-disc set.
Those classic titles are the same price at Amazon as well. Thanks for listing them, I need to pick up Survival.
Old 01-10-13, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Cow
Those classic titles are the same price at Amazon as well. Thanks for listing them, I need to pick up Survival.
And I needed The Ark! Thanks!
Old 01-14-13, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dmK3AQ2Yozk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-15-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Meh.
Old 01-16-13, 06:39 PM

I got the Shada set and watched the first two discs. It's not bad and I'd give it a recommendation, but I HIGHLY recommend that you get Best Buy to pricematch Barnes And Noble's price of $23.99 or just order it from Barnes And Noble. A few complaints:

1. They used a clear case when all of the other classic Doctor Who DVDs come in a black case. I'm not saying this is a reason to leave this DVD out of your collection, but why wouldn't they be consistent and release it in a black case like all the others?

2. The second disc which is all special features for Shada should have been better. If they would have dropped some of these documentaries in favor of the 8th Doctor version of Shada not just being a DVD-ROM feature I think that would have been better. One of the documentaries really has nothing to do with Shada besides showing some clips of Tom Baker and Lalla Ward in it, and they didn't use any clips from Shada in it that I can recall.

3. Speaking of the flash version of Shada, I remember that person from the restoration team having a "You should just be happy this is included" attitude because supposedly they didn't have a big enough budget for it to be viewable in a DVD player. Perhaps if they quit with all of these re-releases they would have had enough money?
Old 01-16-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,402 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
I got the Shada set and watched the first two discs. It's not bad and I'd give it a recommendation, but I HIGHLY recommend that you get Best Buy to pricematch Barnes And Noble's price of $23.99 or just order it from Barnes And Noble. A few complaints:

1. They used a clear case when all of the other classic Doctor Who DVDs come in a black case. I'm not saying this is a reason to leave this DVD out of your collection, but why wouldn't they be consistent and release it in a black case like all the others?

2. The second disc which is all special features for Shada should have been better. If they would have dropped some of these documentaries in favor of the 8th Doctor version of Shada not just being a DVD-ROM feature I think that would have been better. One of the documentaries really has nothing to do with Shada besides showing some clips of Tom Baker and Lalla Ward in it, and they didn't use any clips from Shada in it that I can recall.

3. Speaking of the flash version of Shada, I remember that person from the restoration team having a "You should just be happy this is included" attitude because supposedly they didn't have a big enough budget for it to be viewable in a DVD player. Perhaps if they quit with all of these re-releases they would have had enough money?

Yeah, kinda hard to swallow the "be happy with what you get" attitude when these have been premium priced all along, not to mention all the re-releases.
Old 01-17-13, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

'The Beginning Set' crisis seems to be resolved. They're back on the shelves at 20 some dollars. Hope nobody paid hundreds of dollars to get it 'in case' it was lost forever in the Vortex
Old 01-18-13, 07:22 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

There's pictures on Amazon. It's repackaged in a single case with new artwork. It looks nice, but not worth rebuying. The case is clear like the Shada case.
Old 01-18-13, 08:05 AM

[QUOTE=DoctorWhosScarf;11543522]I got the Shada set and watched the first two discs. It's not bad and I'd give it a recommendation, but I HIGHLY recommend that you get Best Buy to pricematch Barnes And Noble's price of $23.99 or just order it from Barnes And Noble. A few complaints:

That's a fair point, and is really a question that should be directed toward the BBC's US office and/or Warner Bros (the distributor). If WB do the packaging, perhaps they don't have any black cases in that style? I've heard on other places that some of their Who multi-disc re-releases have also been in clear cases.

In the UK, the Legacy set (Shada/More than...) came out in the same silvery cases (it came in two cases with an outer cardboard sleeve) that the rest of the UK range was released in.

Before you "rip them a new one", perhaps you should see this exchange from Roobarb's forum, between a member and Steve Roberts (of the Restoration Team):

Andrew: It is a shame, but actually, I stuck the DVD in my computer the other day and watched Part 1 - audio-wise it's great, but visually it's a little bit static to work as an animation, I think. Fine for the time, given the limitations of its original format, but as a fully fledged DVD feature, maybe not. And it's doubtful the budget would have been there to fit it on (which I assume would have required an extra disc).

Steve Roberts: Yes indeed. The option to include it as DVD-Video was never there. However, James Goss and I thought it was worth trying to include it in some form at least and he worked really hard resurrecting it from various backups and building a player interface for it.

So, it seems there were plenty of technical reasons it couldn't have been DVD-Video format (as it was Flash, maybe the resolution just wasn't there to present it full-frame size without poor picture quality). Also, to have done it as six x 25min episodes would have required a third disc, and as this was intended to be a "budget" release (at least in the UK, it was released at a lower price point than normal), would have made it more expensive to buy.

As many have said, the McGann Shada is "barely" animated, not much more than an audiobook with the occasional picture, so doesn't really 'work' as an animated adventure anyway. It does sound like James Goss and the RT did go to considerable effort to get it on the disc at all.

As above, I don't think it was entirely down to budget, but that was a factor. As for the re-releases, I don't think cancelling a re-release would have made any more money available for Shada, it just likely would have been an extra release that wouldn't have happened.

Incidentally, I'm glad for most of the re-releases, as almost all of them have meant upgrades in picture quality. Of course, these "problem" stories are all ones I held off buying anyway, as I always suspected they'd get redone (after the first Revisitations set was announced).
Old 02-07-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The current schedule for 2013:

BBC Worldwide have announced the Doctor Who stories that will be released on DVD in the United Kingdom up to September this year. As well as the titles known previously, the list confirms the inclusion of the colourised Third Doctor adventure The Mind of Evil, the incomplete Second Doctor tale The Ice Warriors, and also the animated 2003 story Scream of the Shalka - which starred Richard E Grant as the (very) short-lived online 'Ninth' Doctor.

The complete list of dates are as follows:

25th February: The Ark in Space: Special Edition
11th March: The Aztecs: Special Edition (plus Galaxy 4 reconstruction)
6th May: The Visitation: Special Edition
27th May: Inferno: Special Edition
3rd June: The Mind of Evil
24th June: Terror of the Zygons
15th July: Spearhead from Space Blu-Ray
5th August: The Green Death: Special Edition
26th August: The Ice Warriors
16th September: Scream of the Shalka

Unlike last month's release of The Reign of Terror, August's The Ice Warriors will only be presented with the condensed reconstruction of episodes two and three that accompanied its original VHS release in 1998. No new information on features to accompany the latter releases have been revealed since our previous updates.

Nice to see Scream of the Shalka finally getting released. This has been a dangling carrot since 2004.
Old 02-08-13, 08:48 AM

Unlike last month's release of The Reign of Terror, August's The Ice Warriors will only be presented with the condensed reconstruction of episodes two and three that accompanied its original VHS release in 1998. No new information on features to accompany the latter releases have been revealed since our previous updates.

That statement has been amended to read the following (different wording in bold):

Unlike last month's release of The Reign of Terror, there has been no word on whether August's The Ice Warriors will also feature animated episodes, with only the condensed reconstruction of episodes two and three that accompanied its original VHS release in 1998 confirmed so far. No new information on features to accompany other releases in the list have been revealed since our previous updates.

So, maybe they got their "hands slapped" by the BBC for reading too much into things (or had it pointed out to them that just because the previous reconstruction was announced doesn't necessarily rule out animation as well).

Of course, they could also be correct.
Old 02-08-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just can't fathom not animating the episodes, so much potential for coolness there.
Old 02-08-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(Courtesy TVShowsOnDVD.com)
Old 02-09-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-09-13, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I just can't fathom not animating the episodes, so much potential for coolness there.
$$$$$

I would love to see all of the missing episodes eventually animated, though it's probably a pipe dream. I'd even settle for crude flash-style animation like "motion comics" and probably wouldn't mind if the episodes were edited down a bit. The old Whos tended to have crude direction and are glacial pacing, so this probably wouldn't harm the old episodes too much.

I know that, to some, editing the episodes down might be blasphemous, but it's better than nothing. I would certainly love to be able to watch episodes like "Power of the Daleks" in some way other than those telesnap reconstructions.

ETA: For reference, here is the first episode of Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's "Astonishing X-Men" motion comic. It is an animated feature created by animating the artwork of the comic book of the same name. (It would be beyond awesome if they could get artists of the caliber of John Cassaday, Bryan Hitch, or Frank Quitely to do these!)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/O490WDOoiuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-09-13 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-14-13, 10:52 PM

Three things:

1. This is going to be a good year for Doctor Who. I'm excited about the new episodes in March and the DVD releases this year (except for the Galaxy 4 reconstruction being on a special edition of a serial I already own *grumble grumble* ). I guess I'll put Scream Of The Shalka before Series 9 on my shelf, but just how are we going to deal with the issue of there being these different Ninth Doctors? The TV show continuity likely takes precedence over Shalka and the Big Finish audio stuff, but I just wonder what everyone else thinks about that.

2. I have considered several times getting those lost episode audio collection boxsets, but on Amazon they were way too much in my opinion, especially when a few too many of these lost episodes have gotten DVD releases (not that I'm complaining about them being on DVD). I considered ordering them off of Amazon UK, but the last time I checked one of the sets was out of stock, and I'm not even sure how much it would end up costing me since I live in The United States. I understand that you have to deal with the exchange rate and the 3% foreign charge for the credit card (at least mine), but I've also heard if items cost over a certain amount you're charged a fee for that too. Does anyone know how much those lost episode collections would cost from Amazon UK when all is said and done?

3. I wanted to put my David Tennant set on the shelf with the rest of my Doctor Who DVDs/Blu-Rays and I hated that horrible albeit beautiful book packaging, so I bought some cases to put the discs in. Each case holds 6 discs and they're those thicker cases like the kind they used for The Sarah Jane Adventures and the 2 disc editions of The Abyss, Independence Day, the first 3 Die Hard movies, Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back, etc. Is there any idea as far as what I can do for artwork? I like this show too much for the cases to have no artwork.
Old 02-15-13, 12:18 PM

Three things:

1. I guess I'll put Scream Of The Shalka before Series 9 on my shelf, but just how are we going to deal with the issue of there being these different Ninth Doctors?
Or, you could put it somewhere in-between the Classic and New stuff, or separately with the spin-offs, like K9 and Company (assuming that title even got its own case in Region 1).

2. I have considered several times getting those lost episode audio collection boxsets, but on Amazon they were way too much in my opinion, especially when a few too many of these lost episodes have gotten DVD releases (not that I'm complaining about them being on DVD). I considered ordering them off of Amazon UK, but the last time I checked one of the sets was out of stock, and I'm not even sure how much it would end up costing me since I live in The United States. I understand that you have to deal with the exchange rate and the 3% foreign charge for the credit card (at least mine), but I've also heard if items cost over a certain amount you're charged a fee for that too. Does anyone know how much those lost episode collections would cost from Amazon UK when all is said and done?
There is the exchange rate. As far as foreign charge fees, some cards charge them, others (like Capital One) do not, so it depends on your card company. One advantage by using AmazonUK, though, is at the very last step in the transaction process, your price actually gets lowered in the cart, as Amazon (correctly) subtract the VAT amount from the purchase price (it's about 12-13% off of the item's asking price).

The "fee over a certain amount" you're referring to must be Customs Duty. Though UK people get hit up for duty all the time, it rarely happens in the US. I've been importing stuff for over 17 years, and not once have I ever had to pay duty. Anything under $200 is duty-free anyway, FYI.

3. I wanted to put my David Tennant set on the shelf with the rest of my Doctor Who DVDs/Blu-Rays and I hated that horrible albeit beautiful book packaging, so I bought some cases to put the discs in. Each case holds 6 discs and they're those thicker cases like the kind they used for The Sarah Jane Adventures and the 2 disc editions of The Abyss, Independence Day, the first 3 Die Hard movies, Jay And Silent Bob Strike Back, etc. Is there any idea as far as what I can do for artwork? I like this show too much for the cases to have no artwork.
You can probably find some online. I wouldn't be surprised if the artwork used on the five individual cases inside the UK's "Complete Series 1-5 boxset" would work with your cases.
Old 02-15-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Or, you could put it somewhere in-between the Classic and New stuff, or separately with the spin-offs, like K9 and Company (assuming that title even got its own case in Region 1).
It didn't. It was bundled with The Invisible Enemy. Tho it was put on it's own disc so who knows down the road.

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
You can probably find some online. I wouldn't be surprised if the artwork used on the five individual cases inside the UK's "Complete Series 1-5 boxset" would work with your cases.
Try looking on the Gallifrey Base boards. I'm sure there are plenty of fans who have created their own.
Old 02-16-13, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Announced at Gallifrey One, The Tenth Planet (Episode 4) is getting the animation treatment:

The First Doctor’s final adventure The Tenth Planet is to have its lost fourth episode animated for DVD release, doctorwho.tv can exclusively reveal.

Teased yesterday at the Gallifrey One convention by Dan Hall, commissioning editor of the classic Doctor Who DVD range, The Tenth Planet sees both the introduction of the menacing, dead-eyed Cybermen, and the departure of the First Doctor, William Hartnell. The final episode has been missing from the BBC Archives since the mid-1970s, and will be reconstructed using the same Thetamation process used to recreate The Reign of Terror episodes 4 and 5.

Dan Hall said: "It’s a real thrill to be bringing such an iconic Doctor Who episode back to life. Without the events established in The Tenth Planet episode 4, there would be no Doctor Who as we know it!"

The release date is currently scheduled for late 2013.
Doctor Who TV
Old 02-16-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

http://www.r1db.com/covers/custom-tv...nty-eight.html
http://www.r1db.com/covers/custom-tv...s-3-three.html
http://www.r1db.com/covers/custom-tv...30-thirty.html
http://www.r1db.com/covers/custom-tv...-specials.html

R1DB is a free site, though you have to register. Register and make a post in the new members section, and you'll be given credits to download.

http://www.customaniacs.org/forum/tv...ollection.html

You will have to purchase credits from customaniacs; 100 credits (enough for 33-50 downloads) will run you $6.
Old 02-17-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thumbs up for more animation.
Old 02-18-13, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

R1DB is a free site, though you have to register. Register and make a post in the new members section, and you'll be given credits to download.
One of the downsides of their covers, is the (IMO) sad wishful-thinking of calling the 2005-present seasons "season 27, 28", etc. when they are really a new show, and (rightfully) called series 1, 2, 3, etc. in real life (and on the official merchandise).

a 16-year break in TV transmissino signifies two different (but related) shows to me, not just a "hiatus", such as the new version of DALLAS. Of course, I know others who would argue the other way until they're blue in the face.

CDcovers.cc should have some covers, and they are totally free. You don't have to buy any credits.
Old 02-27-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'M surprised nobody commented on the first ever Blu-ray release of a classic episode (Spearhead from Space) coming up soon. After the unending rereleases as special editions and the end of the road for all the surviving episodes' DVDs (with Zygons) will they start from scratch and rerelease everything on Blu?
Someone at the BBC likes the smell of $$$ in the morning!!! And considering the limited quality of source material is it worth the Blu treatment?
Old 02-27-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a thread in the Blu-Ray Forum for Spearhead.

I believe someone on the Restoration Team said they will not be re-releasing the original series on Blu-Ray. The only two stories that can be upgraded to HD (due to them being shot on film) are Spearhead From Space and the TV Movie. However, they're not going to do the TV Movie because it was edited on video tape.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.