Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 11-18-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hate you!
Old 11-18-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks very nice. Why couldn't they have made enough room inside to fit the book? I'm going to swing by BB after dinner and see if they have any left - if not I'll order the regular through the DD sale.
Old 11-18-08, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
Some pics of the Steelbook!

And yes I got it for $38.73! It pays to get up early. Looks like it was a price mistake and they had to manually adjust it at the register.
someone else was able to do it then i knew it was $69, but thankfull the cashier didn't, and i was able to get it sneaked in. noone answered from the media dept when he called to check and the manager didn't ask questions when he did the override. i was in heaven.
Old 11-18-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What DD 25% off sale? I too managed to get in on the BB 45% off sale. Made my day!
Old 11-18-08, 06:40 PM

Congrats! Its a great price for the set!
Old 11-18-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a great price for the set. It's an amazing price for the set in a steelbook!
Old 11-18-08, 08:08 PM

can someone upload some pics of the regular release? Just for comparison.
Old 11-18-08, 09:25 PM

The book does fit inside. Just slot in between the last pages of the book, where the business reply mail card is, and it fits just fine.

BTW mine was not glued onto the case, just in case anyone is worried about snot-glue residue contaminating the Red Dalek on the back.
Old 11-19-08, 12:02 AM

Aww man that's huge savings for the steelbook if you got the price mistake. Mine just came in from Amazon (works out to just under $50 with my split savings on the TWS2 DVDs from the Amazon CC deal).

Besides the booklet, there was the advert for TW & DW action figures, a Davros Tops Trump card and a BSG promo pic (not pictured - gave it to my boss as he LOVES BSG) on the same kind of paper as the TW ad.

Old 11-19-08, 12:38 AM

if anyone who got it for 38.73 at best buy could list their BB location so i could get a phone #...that would be awfully helpful...

i talked to the manager at my BB and she said that if it were indeed true that i could call and get a confirmation that they had been selling it at that price at another location and possibly lead to a refund of my extra money spent...

any help is greatly appreciated...
Old 11-28-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I put together a spreadsheet and it occurred to me that others might be interested in it:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...fvys-6mVHB3ZUQ

Basically, this takes the information the Valeyard provides in the first post and maps it against a list of all the Doctor Who stories. That way, you can see at a glance not only which stories are available on DVD, but also which ones aren't (and, for the early serials, whether complete or partial copies even exist).

Suggestions on ways to improve this are always welcome.
Old 11-28-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And now the spreadsheet has been added to the Misc. Section under Who Links.

Great job, Jason! Thanks!
Old 11-29-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sniff.... you never added my PDF (in my sig) to the links...
Old 12-01-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Ok new guy with a question. I have been watching the new series on Sci Fi and have been wanting to pick up the DVD's for some time. I know the show does not film in HD, and I was curious to the quality of the DVD's. If anyone can enlighten me on the subject I would appreciate it.
Old 12-23-08, 09:37 AM

Season 4 packaging (Region 1, non-steelbook version -- the one pictured in post #534 above): anyone else having a problem with the packaging? Specifically, trying to put the fold-out box that holds the discs back into the 3-sided slipcover? It just doesn't want to go in nicely for me -- the back edge of the slipcover always gets pushed out. And with the disc-holder box inside of the slipcover, the edge of the slipcover doesn't easily slide back in. After trying several times, the edge is already getting mangled up. Ugh. Did I just get a bad set, or do others have the same problem?
Old 01-02-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New Doctor announced tomorrow:

Eleventh Doctor announced tomorrow

BBC News has announced that the identity of the actor who will play the Eleventh Doctor, succeeding current Doctor David Tennant, will be announced tomorrow.

The news will come in a special edition of tie-in documentary series Doctor Who Confidential, which is being transmitted on BBC One tomorrow evening at 5.35pm. The episode will also be shown at the same time on BBC Big Screens in town centres across the UK.

The actor was confirmed in the role over the Christmas period and will begin filming for Series Five this summer, for transmission in 2010. New executive producer Piers Wenger is quoted as saying: "We believe the actor is going to bring something very special to the role and will make it absolutely their own. I just can't wait to tell everyone who it is - it has been a nail-biting Christmas trying to keep this under wraps!"

The release from the BBC Press Office confirms that the Confidential episode has been retitled "The Eleventh Doctor" (it was formerly advertised as "The Ten Doctors"), and will feature the actor concerned giving his or her thoughts on having been cast. The press release also suggests that the last of David Tennant's episodes as the Doctor will be broadcast in the New Year of 2010.
Old 01-02-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I updated my spreadsheet to include companions and I realized that there is only one companion who has zero DVD appearances:

Spoiler:
Kamelion, who only appears in two stories, neither of which is on DVD.
Old 01-02-09, 07:29 PM

So is this a different confidential than was broadcast on Christmas or just with add ons?
Old 01-02-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by manicmyk View Post
So is this a different confidential than was broadcast on Christmas or just with add ons?
Different.
Old 01-03-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
New Doctor announced tomorrow:
So who is it?
Old 01-03-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matt Smith?

BBC News:

New Doctor actor is youngest ever
Matt Smith had that 'Doctor-ness', says BBC Wales' head of drama

Matt Smith has been named as the actor who will take over from David Tennant in Doctor Who - making him the youngest actor to take on the role.

At 26, Smith is three years younger than Peter Davison when he signed up to play the fifth Doctor in 1981.

Smith will first appear on TV screens as the 11th Doctor in 2010.

He was cast over Christmas and will begin filming for the fifth series of Doctor Who in the summer. Tennant is filming four specials in 2009.

Smith was named as Tennant's replacement in Saturday's edition of Doctor Who Confidential on BBC One.

He said: "I've got this wonderful journey in front of me where I've got this six months to build this Time Lord - and that's such an exciting prospect."

Piers Wenger, head of drama at BBC Wales, said that as soon as he had seen Smith's audition he "knew he was the one".

"It was abundantly clear that he had that 'Doctor-ness' about him," he said. "You are either the Doctor or you are not."

The 11 Doctors
Peter Davison
1. William Hartnell (1963-1966)
2. Patrick Troughton (1966-1969)
3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
4. Tom Baker (1974-1981)
5. Peter Davison - pictured (1982-1984)
6. Colin Baker (1984-1986)
7. Sylvester McCoy (1987-1996)
8. Paul McGann (1996)
9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)
10. David Tennant (2005-2010)
11. Matt Smith (2010 - ?)

Wenger said a broad range of people had been auditioned, but they had not set out to cast the youngest Doctor.

Smith's TV debut was in the 2006 adaptation of Philip Pullman's The Ruby in the Smoke, which starred former Doctor Who companion Billie Piper as Sally Lockhart.

He has also acted opposite Piper in the follow-up, The Shadow in the North, and in ITV2's Secret Diary of a Call Girl.

In 2007, he had a leading role in BBC Two's political drama Party Animals, in which he played a parliamentary researcher.

Smith's stage work has included stints with theatre companies such as the Royal Court and National Theatre. His West End debut was in Swimming With Sharks opposite Christian Slater.

He was born in Northampton in 1982 and studied drama and creative writing at the University of East Anglia.

Creative team

Tennant said in October that he would stand down from the show after filming four special episodes in 2009.

David Tennant as Doctor Who
Tennant is recovering from back surgery ahead of filming in 2009
The star is due to begin shooting the first special this month, just weeks after surgery on his back forced him to pull out of a London run of Hamlet.

The last of these special episodes is expected to run in early 2010.

With a new creative team in place for the 2010 series led by executive producers Steven Moffat and Piers Wenger, the casting of the Doctor was the first job to be completed before scripts could be finalised.

Doctor Who began in 1963, and seven actors played the Doctor before the show was dropped in 1989.

After a TV movie in 1996 - starring Paul McGann - the TV series returned in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston in the lead role. Tennant took over the same year.
Old 01-03-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh.

Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-03-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've updated my pdf with the latest dvd releases, and listing the new doctor.

Doctor Who Universe Episode List - Region 1 DVD Releases
Old 01-03-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Always ahead of the curve, Kevin. I added your link to the Misc. Section. Sorry I missed it the first time.
Old 01-04-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard View Post
ON HOLD INDEFINITELY

The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy)
Remembrance of the Daleks: Special Edition (1988)

The Complete Davros Collection

Genesis of the Daleks - Destiny of the Daleks - Resurrection of the Daleks - Revelation of the Daleks - Remembrance of the Daleks: Special Edition
Any word on what's going on with these? I know they were released in the UK ages ago. Are we ever going to get this set stateside?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.