Robert Iger urges movie industry to rethink DVD release policy

Old 08-10-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great idea!

Movie theaters are horrible anyway.
Old 08-10-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cygnet74
unless you own a 2k christie dlp projector and collect movies on D5, this isn't possible. if you collect SD DVD's like the rest of us, resolution is going to be, at best, no more than half that of a distribution film print.
The quality of the theatrical image is also affected by the projection system, which can be really horrendous. Some theater owners deliberately dim the lamp to save money. Scorsese has been known to personally berate theater managers for misprojecting his films.
Old 08-10-05, 06:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by seymouru
The quality of the theatrical image is also affected by the projection system, which can be really horrendous. Some theater owners deliberately dim the lamp to save money. Scorsese has been known to berate theater managers for misprojecting his films.
i know the stories, (and i think berate is a strong word! ). but dim projection is a rarity in my experience and i only know of one theater in all of los angeles guilty of this... and i'm gonna call them out on it right here! NEW BEVERLY CINEMA... plays great revival double features... cant hardly see them.
Old 08-10-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's no video stores big enough to keep the stock needed for the release of a big blockbuster movie..You'd be on a waiting list for weeks just to rent the movie you want to see...
Old 08-10-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i know the stories, (and i think berate is a strong word! )
Really? I kinda liked it!

Anyway, there are cases where a home image quality can approach the theatrical image...at least for geezer eyes like mine. It helps that I can upconvert my SD DVDs to 1080i. Not that I would mistake it for a theatrical image!

Last edited by seymouru; 08-10-05 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 06:44 PM

Really? I kinda liked it!

Anyway, there are cases where a home image quality can approach the theatrical image...at least for geezer eyes like mine. It helps that I can upconvert my SD DVDs to 1080i. Not that I would mistake it for a theatrical image!
l laughed when i pictured scorsese chewing out a random theater manager, holding up his trusty a light meter. i'm using the oppo to upconvert as well. got incredible reviews on that site with all the charts and graphs -- secrets of home theater or something.

Last edited by Cygnet74; 08-10-05 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For a community so enamored of directorial intent (cf. endless OAR discussions), people here certainly don't seem to mind overlooking another important of that intent--that films be viewed in theaters as part of a social experience.
Old 08-10-05, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
For a community so enamored of directorial intent (cf. endless OAR discussions), people here certainly don't seem to mind overlooking another important of that intent--that films be viewed in theaters as part of a social experience.
this, to me, is an extremely valuable part of the experience. going to a theater is one of the few remaining community experiences we have left. i rarely have a bad go of it and really enjoy extending that communal experience into discussions with friends and co-workers. but i tend to seek out films that attract more sophisticated and mature audiences. so i'm not exactly a mainstream guy, but even in the case of something like the incredibles, the audience's enthusiasm made for a nearly euphoric experience that i will never be able to recreate at home.
Old 08-10-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this, to me, is an extremely valuable part of the experience. going to a theater is one of the few remaining community experiences we have left. i rarely have a bad go of it and really enjoy extending that communal experience into discussions with friends and co-workers. but i tend to seek out films that attract more sophisticated and mature audiences. so i'm not exactly a mainstream guy, but even in the case of something like the incredibles, the audience's enthusiasm made for a nearly euphoric experience that i will never be able to recreate at home.

Unfortunately though, I'd have to say that's the exception and not the rule. That's why I said it would be great if this would open the door to more revival type showings of older movies. Let the masses have their bread and circuses with their standard DVDs, that will just open up the door for the folks that are more appreciative of the experiences you mentioned.

Seriously, how many people buy shakycam DVD-Rs of movies the day after release anyways? If the studios could capture that right there, they'd really be onto something.
Old 08-10-05, 07:17 PM

Maybe I have a weird thought. But I always thought it would be cool to be able to get the DVD as you walk out of the theater. Make the DVD $15.00 as I leave the theater. Then maybe a month or so later make them available in Walmarts and other retailers. This would make me want to go to the movies more often.
Old 08-10-05, 07:23 PM

ever come to a theater early or wait after til the lights come on? take a look at the seats. they are f'ing filthy. at least in all theaters around here. and the prices for candy and drinks are beyond high, they are insane. also like many have mentioned here already, theaters make no effort to kick out idiots. it's a private property and they can kick out whomever they want and they should.

so if they go out of business, it's partly their fault.
Old 08-10-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been to the theater about 4 times this year. 3 of those visits reminded me of why I prefer watching my movies at home.

Sin City (Edwards Cinema) - Volume way too LOUD! I actually left the theater twice to ask SOMEONE to adjust the sound but the movie remained LOUD enough to cause the speakers to crackle throughout the presentation.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (AMC) - Talking talking talking talking during the entire movie. Nothing pisses me off more when the idiot behind me: 1) Repeats a funny line (sometimes twice incase I didn't hear him the first time), 2) Makes comments like "I don't believe he say that!" (Yes, "SAY that."), 3) Laughs REALLY LOUD.....and long and 4) ARGUES with his date during the movie ("Bitch, where all the popcorn go? Shit."). I moved away but ended up behind another couple acting like movie critics for the rest of the movie.

Madagascar (Edwards Cinema) - I was prepared this time because I KNEW the theater would be filled with children. Can't really complain with the constant crying, screaming, talking and blubbering (My kids actually fell asleep through the movie and my opinion of the film is CRAP). What I can complain about was the AC on at FULL BLAST. It was an iceberg in there!

Each time I told myself - "I paid 8 bucks a ticket for this!" I think I learned my lesson for the rest of the year....and maybe even next year too.

For the record, the final movie I saw this year was a screening of Corpse Bride which was a pleasant experience. Even with a theater filled with kids, the entire night was uneventful.

Andrew

Last edited by The Valeyard; 08-10-05 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-10-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by schbee
Maybe I have a weird thought. But I always thought it would be cool to be able to get the DVD as you walk out of the theater. Then maybe a month or so later make them available in Walmarts and other retailers. This would make me want to go to the movies more often.
It's not that weird. In fact, it was mentioned earlier in this very thread!
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
This business idea makes perfect sense. I think the studios should merchandise it this way too. Sell a strictly limited edition DVD, movie programs, lobby cards AT THE THEATER ONLY! Do this while the movie is showing. Drive traffic to the theaters, then sell the regular versions in stores.
Old 08-10-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

this, to me, is an extremely valuable part of the experience. going to a theater is one of the few remaining community experiences we have left.
What do you mean? There are just as many options for "community experiences" as ever.
Old 08-10-05, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rubix
ever come to a theater early or wait after til the lights come on? take a look at the seats. they are f'ing filthy. at least in all theaters around here. and the prices for candy and drinks are beyond high, they are insane. also like many have mentioned here already, theaters make no effort to kick out idiots. it's a private property and they can kick out whomever they want and they should.

so if they go out of business, it's partly their fault.
you go to shitty theatres. i'm sorry if that's all that's available to you. here, we have The ArcLight. $14 is steep, but the quality of the presentations, reserved seating, courteous staff, etc make it well worth it. from their website:
Welcome to ArcLight
• Conceived by and for people who value the art and entertainment of the moving image, ArcLight’s design, amenities, service level and programming create a celebration of movies, and a more refined and complete movie-going experience.

• All-reserved seating makes waiting in “hold-out” lines a thing of the past, and there’s no more need to rush to the auditorium to save seats.

• The experience in the cinema auditorium is ArcLight’s focal point. Designed with THX consultants leading the way, a cadre of acoustical, lighting, and projection engineers have produced environments that ensure moviegoers see and hear a film at optimum performance levels. ArcLight Hollywood's 14 new auditoriums begin with a “black box” design aesthetic which favors undistracted viewing over opulence, and feature the best in sight and sound technology, allowing films to be presented as the filmmakers intend and creating an experience for movie lovers unlike any other.

• Auditorium comfort levels are unsurpassed. All cinema chairs are 3 inches wider than current megaplex standards, with 6 inches more legroom. Even the retractable armrests are “double-wide”.

• Film programming is directed to the adult movielover, with a mix of blockbusters, specialty and retrospective product. In addition, films are augmented from time to time with speaker presentations.
Old 08-10-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But wouldn't the director's intent have changed if there are no longer theatrical releases?

Why would a director's intent be that his films be viewed in the theatres if they're being made in an era where theatres no longer exist (if it ever happens)?

Also, does that mean that all this time we shouldn't have been watching films at home (on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, etc) as it goes against the director's intent?
Old 08-10-05, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you go to shitty theatres. i'm sorry if that's all that's available to you. here, we have The ArcLight. $14 is steep, but the quality of the presentations, reserved seating, courteous staff, etc make it well worth it.
Hey, just because you have a premium venue available to you doesn't mean the rest of us have bad taste in theaters!

Where's my light meter?
Old 08-10-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would pay 20 bucks to see a movie and have an enjoyable experience, thats how much I love going to a theatre to watch a movie. Problem is, the experience gets worse just about everytime I go. And Im not blaming it on the people that go. I fault the theatres themselves. Customer Service is atrocious and the theatres are filthy, with the screens themselves manytimes looking like someone pissed on them. When I went to see Hustle and Flow in Union Square for example, they made everyone go through metal detectors and anyone with a camera phone give up their phones, and it took about an hour after the movie to get it back. Its that kind of shit (lack of anykind of buisness sense or customer service) killing the theatres, not the crowds, bootleggers, prices, or lack of blockbusters.
Old 08-10-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I lost the desire for this "social experience" several years back. Too many kids, cel phones, sticky floors, bad audio systems, commercials, charity drives, yakkers and people eating dinner to make it much fun.
Old 08-10-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
...people eating dinner to make it much fun.
I once had a family of 6 sit down behind me after the movie had started, and proceed to consume two buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken (with all the fixin's), conversing merrily throughout the feature.

Part of the problem with the "social experience" is that many people have a hard time distinguishing the TV viewing experience at home with the movie viewing experience at the theater. It's okay to eat, talk, fight, complain, answer the phone, etc. at home while viewing, so those habits just transfer to the theater.
Old 08-10-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There will always be movies I want to see on a big screen - this summer, for example, Star Wars, Batman Begins, War of the Worlds, Charlie & The Chocolate Factory - and even if I knew the DVD was coming out the day after the opening, I'd still opt for the movie theater experience. Additionally, I like to see indie films in the theater (Mysterious Skin, Last Days) as a way of supporting filmmakers I respect.

I'm fortunate enough to have literally about 70 screens within a 20-minute walk of my apartment, and can hit mid-week matinees, so I can avoid many of the horror scenarios that the weekend regulars endure.
Old 08-10-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think we will see the current cycle go away any time this decade. Let's face it, the studios are still making tons of money on theatrical runs before home video release. The truth is this concept will not go away for a long time b/c they like the fact that consumers are paying to see a new movie and leaving the theater empty handed.
Old 08-10-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

However, the company's movie studio division saw a $34-million loss, primarily due to a lack of a hit film like Pirates of the Caribbean
fixed.
Old 08-10-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once had a family of 6 sit down behind me after the movie had started, and proceed to consume two buckets of Kentucky Fried Chicken (with all the fixin's), conversing merrily throughout the feature.

Part of the problem with the "social experience" is that many people have a hard time distinguishing the TV viewing experience at home with the movie viewing experience at the theater. It's okay to eat, talk, fight, complain, answer the phone, etc. at home while viewing, so those habits just transfer to the theater.

Maybe I'm making up memories again, but did I read somewhere once that families would sometimes have picnics on hilltops overlooking American Civil War battles?
I know it's irrelevant, but somehow that memory got jogged.
Old 08-10-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
When I went to see Hustle and Flow in Union Square for example, they made everyone go through metal detectors and anyone with a camera phone give up their phones, and it took about an hour after the movie to get it back. Its that kind of shit (lack of anykind of buisness sense or customer service) killing the theatres, not the crowds, bootleggers, prices, or lack of blockbusters.
Union Square is the worst theater in NYC. Actually, no, the Angelika is a worse theater, but Union Square is the absolute worst in terms of nickel and diming the consumer ... they literally don't care at all about the viewers. Have you seen their "medium" sodas lately? And they stopped buying standard sized straws, instead giving out only the type of straws that you use on Slushies or milkshakes. This is so that people will drink the soda faster, and possibly buy another one. Think about how little money they could possibly make off of that, vs. the annoyance of having to drink soda that way ... it's a little thing, but it's a perfect example of a thousand choices that Union Square has made poorly.

I'm starting to lose friends for the number of times I agree to go to the movies and back out rather than go to Union Square.

Might I suggest either of the two 34th street theaters? The one on 2nd Ave is great, but commuting to it is difficult; the one by Penn Station is fantastic, and the only theater left in NYC which is under $10 [$8.75, I believe].

That said, I've never heard of metal detectors there, or cell phone confiscation (to cut down on bootlegging, I assume) and it actually sounds like a form of racial profiling that they would do it at a "black movie" like 'Hustle and Flow'. I saw 'The Aristocrats' there that weekend, and they ain't search sheeyit.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.