DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Amicus Titles? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/433665-amicus-titles.html)

duff beer 08-10-05 05:14 AM

Amicus Titles?

Will the first two Amicus films ever be released on dvd?
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors
The Skull

Lastdaysofrain 08-10-05 08:29 AM

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors is in a great special edition in R2 if I'm not mistaken.

duff beer 08-11-05 03:53 AM

I'm looking for them in R1.

Lastdaysofrain 08-11-05 07:58 AM

Buy a R2 Player and buy the R2 Amicus Box set, well worth it.

Paul Arnette 08-11-05 08:15 AM

Buy a R2 Player and buy the R2 Amicus Box set, well worth it.
While this is true, I have not heard good things about the image quality and completeness of the Dr. Terror's R2 DVD. Torture Garden is coming in R1 from Sony, I believe, so there is hope.

There are a number of great R2 Amicus and Hammer DVDs, so, again, the above point should be considered if you are a fan of these types of films, as I am. However, Dr. Terror might not be one of them based on some comments I've heard.
--
Paul Arnette

duff beer 08-17-05 03:45 PM

Anyone at all? These are one of my favorite films i'd like to have.

rw2516 08-17-05 04:15 PM

There's no way to tell what will ever be released and what won't. Will Tarantula ever be released? Who knows? Maybe, maybe not. The only somewhat reliable barometer is to not count on properties with complex or hostile rights issues. Even then they could still show up someday.

duff beer 08-19-05 08:39 PM

Well these two are widely considered the apex of the amicus cycle.

Nebiroth 08-20-05 08:03 AM

The r2 of Dr Terrors House of Horrors is pretty good. The image quality is Ok though not perfect, but at least it's widescreen anamorphic.

It does have a very small sequence missing at the end, though. Although the "reveal" of Dr Terror is in place, AFAIK it's the bit where he turns and asks the viewer to "and you...pick a card..." (or something like that) which is missing. It's only a very tiny bit though.

The r4 edition is exactly the same. So I guess they couldn't get hold of it for some reason. It;s strange, because AFAIK last time the film ran on the BBC it was complete.

The Amicus set is well worth having. This edition of "Asylum" is much better than the horrid one put out by Vipco...

It's s shame that the Amicus films aren't more available, there are more that I'd like to have - From Beyond the Grave and Tales from the Crypt, to name but two. Anchor Bay have said they don't have the rights to these.

Annoyingly, many are available, or were, in rubbishy old VHS. DVD, despite it's massive release rates and stuff you never got on VHS (such as TV series) still hasn't caught up in many areas...guess it will one day.

And yep I;d like to see a DVD of "Tarantula" too.

rw2516 08-20-05 12:27 PM

There is a R2 dvd of The Uncanny which I think was the last Amicus film made, not sure. Creeping Flesh is available in R1. Beast Must Die is available from Image. House That Dripped Blood is also available in R1. So far M.I.A. is The Skull, Berserk, Deadly Bees, Psychopath, Vault of Horror.

Nebiroth 08-20-05 01:30 PM

The Uncanny is part of a boxset in r2 which is officially out of print but still widely available.