Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sin City DVD for Sale Early (Central Long Island)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sin City DVD for Sale Early (Central Long Island)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcaridon
That's what I thought. Discuss away.

DALVIN.

Hey. Sent you email. Wondering if it's in the same place as last time. If not, please point the way.

Thanks.

Yes my friend, its the same store as before. Please don't tell many people about it though. The owner and I are on good terms, and he always calls me to let me know if something I want has come in early(in 99% of the time always does).

I believe "our secret store" is offering it for $22.99.
Old 08-09-05, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dalvin
Yes my friend, its the same store as before. Please don't tell many people about it though. The owner and I are on good terms, and he always calls me to let me know if something I want has come in early(in 99% of the time always does).

I believe "our secret store" is offering it for $22.99.
You da man! I figured I would head there anyway and low and behold. Bruce Willis cover in my paws.

Thanks for point me in the direction again. Sometimes it's the simple things in life that make the day.
Old 08-09-05, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
You know, we don't talk about leaks and crap here because why? Because it's illegal. So are broken street dates, let's not point the finger at where everybody can rush to buy stuff.
i saw on news12 a long long time ago that distributors give this store permission to sell titles early because they know the store can move alot of copies...don't know if anyone else remembers the story, very obsecure and shows a complete waste of useful memory on my behalf
Old 08-09-05, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it illegal? Wouldn't this fall into the same category as say the Harry Potter Books which is was illegal for stores to sell before the street date? I thought the rule was that the studio (or publisher in the case of books) got to decide when the product was to be released and anything before that date counts as some sort of infringment on the copyright.

I have no idea I'm just curious on why it wouldn't be the same for books and films.
Old 08-09-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Atreus
Is it illegal? Wouldn't this fall into the same category as say the Harry Potter Books which is was illegal for stores to sell before the street date? I thought the rule was that the studio (or publisher in the case of books) got to decide when the product was to be released and anything before that date counts as some sort of infringment on the copyright.

I have no idea I'm just curious on why it wouldn't be the same for books and films.
I'd think it'd be more of a civil matter than a legal one...though there very well could be a law about it. Beats me, but it sounds more civil than criminal.

-JP
Old 08-09-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
What I want to know is.....is Dalvin talking to himself?

Andrew
Old 08-09-05, 05:25 PM
Banned

I just found this site in 2003. This guy was registered back in 2002. Its not me. He is a legitiate memeber of DVDTALK whom I help out with getting stuff before its released.
Old 08-09-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
MZUPERMAN2 and DIGITALFREAKNYC:

Give me a break about the illegalness. That's all relative what is illegal. Look at the Bush Administration. Everything they do to the world is ethically illegal. Just because they make a law about it, it does not make it right or legal. I don't think you should be worrying about keeping stores secret, because these stores may get in trouble, but they get a fine, and then they are back to selling bootlegs and DVDs early. These stores have balls and should be supported. Kim's Video in NYC just got raided by the government, got rid of some DVD bootlegs, probably got some fines, but they are back to their old ways. It's very naive to think that the government does not know about these stores. They know about these stores, but there is no Video Police and they have other crap to worry about such as searching the bags of trendy SoHo white girls to stop terrorism.
Wow, I think my IQ actually droped after reading this post.
Old 08-09-05, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
What I want to know is.....is Dalvin talking to himself?

Andrew
Is this directed at me? Hmm, that's weird. I've been registered here since 02, I just don't post very much. Although I read everyday.
Old 08-09-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So many questions answered...
Old 08-10-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I'd think it'd be more of a civil matter than a legal one...though there very well could be a law about it. Beats me, but it sounds more civil than criminal.

-JP
Yes, it would involve a store breaking a contract or agreement with a distributor. The worst that has ever happened to an offending video store would likely have been to lose the privilege of receiving product before street date (which would be a major inconvenience to the store) or for repeat offenders, having their contract with the distributor or studio cancelled. I guess technically, a civil suit could be filed against the store, but I'm not sure if it has ever happened. Too much trouble, and usually the threat of not receiving such a time sensitive product on time is enough to keep most stores honest.
Old 08-10-05, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have heard a story....I cannot validate it....but it makes for a good story.

Back when Sega had its dreamcast system on the market, Wal-Mart continued to break street dates, and corner the market. Sega would slap a fine on them (per the contract) and wal mart didn't want to pay. They let it all wash and forgave and forgot....it continued to happen. Sega threatened to not send out product...Wal Mart bit and told Sega don't worry about it. We won't be carrying The dreamcast any longer. Sega went into panic mode. The dreamcast collapsed, and they folded.

again i say, i cannot validate this story. may just be an old wives tale.
Old 08-10-05, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
I have heard a story....I cannot validate it....but it makes for a good story.

Back when Sega had its dreamcast system on the market, Wal-Mart continued to break street dates, and corner the market. Sega would slap a fine on them (per the contract) and wal mart didn't want to pay. They let it all wash and forgave and forgot....it continued to happen. Sega threatened to not send out product...Wal Mart bit and told Sega don't worry about it. We won't be carrying The dreamcast any longer. Sega went into panic mode. The dreamcast collapsed, and they folded.

again i say, i cannot validate this story. may just be an old wives tale.
Sega is doing pretty good right now actually.I think the reason for the dreamcast failing is the ps2.
Old 08-10-05, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Who cares??? When is the bigger, better, special edition version coming out?? The one Rodrigeuz announced where you can watch each story arc separately and in an extended version?? That's the one I am waiting for. Not double dipping here.
Old 08-10-05, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Crow331
Who cares??? When is the bigger, better, special edition version coming out?? The one Rodrigeuz announced where you can watch each story arc separately and in an extended version?? That's the one I am waiting for. Not double dipping here.
I don't believe it's actually been announced, so any release date/timeframe would just be speculation.

I'm just going to get the regular edition and buy the new one when it comes out.
Old 08-10-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DeepDiscountDVD emailed me this morning that my Sin City has shipped. Hopefully I'll have it Tuesday
Old 08-10-05, 12:11 PM
Suspended

Tuesday?? From DDD??? Good Luck!
Old 08-10-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lol, I live in PA. DDDVD shipments generally take a week......but I am still waiting on my Dane Cook set.....
Old 08-10-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I can't believe how much negativity I'm reading here about my comment. Alright, I screwed up and got carried away and said 'illegal'. Perhaps it's not but there are still consequences for dropping store names and pointing people in the direction of a place that's breaking street dates. We all love it when we find something out early but I don't think it should be made to be a public announcement where one little small mom and pop shop is selling a DVD early. Do you want to be responsible for getting these people in trouble possibly someday? What are the chances a majority of the readers here go there anyways? And, last but not least, why not just be happy you know of a place that will do things like this for you early, and keep it to yourself and maybe personal friends you actually know? Besides, most the time people post threads like this, they're just inadvertantly trying to brag anyways.