Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

Old 08-04-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm on the fence about these releases.

First the small bit of 'extra' that is not available to people who have bought the seasons separately [at a higher price, usually]. The box, it's nice, but it's not a must-have for me. Book and extras disk is nice, and a signed letter is a neat feature. But it's not an incredible improvement, like going from P&S to anamorphic widescreen would be.

Secondly, while this does make it much easier and cheaper per-unit to get a whole series, how many people that are interested in the series, don't have at least one season? Are those people more likely to say, "Oh boy, let's drop 200 bucks [or maybe as low as 150 or so] on 7 seasons of a tv show" rather than buying one or two seasons to check out the series [as I did, bought S1 blind, having never seen an ep, in last year's Christmas sales]. Or buying a couple of their favorite seasons, since it sounds like the quality of seasons diverges wildly.
Or is mainly to yoink a few more bucks out of the fans who will buy the doubledip?

On the other hand, it would be nice to get everything in one, nicelooking package, with some bonus extras, at a very reasonable per-season price. Looks like buying the 7 seasons separately now would run at least 266, according to dvdpricesearch.
Not that I need another 7 [or six, since I've recently seen S1] seasons of tv to watch...
that said, it is interesting news and an attractive release...[DDD has it on preorder for 215? Do they just "guess" what it'll be and correct it later on?]

Last edited by tonyc3742; 08-04-05 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sold mine at AMAZON for $219.99 with $187.84 - s/h being what I'll get. I threw in Buffy movie since it's cheap.
Old 08-04-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
[DDD has it on preorder for 215? Do they just "guess" what it'll be and correct it later on?]
Huh...that's odd. Given that the MSRP is about $199, they must just be guessing at this point (also since they seem to be the only ones taking pre-orders for this at the moment)...wildly, I might add.

EDIT: They may just be going off of the "Seasons 1-7" price, which is an MSRP of about $399 (Amazon has it for about $230-something, or around there). Hopefully they'll fix this once everyone starts putting it up for pre-order.

Last edited by Skoobooz; 08-04-05 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-04-05, 12:59 PM

I was wondering about the $199 list price, which seemed really low to me. Is there precedent for this big a price reduction on a re-release of season sets?

RichC
Old 08-04-05, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus
How is it punishing you?
You missed my sarcasm. I didn't use a smiley, but I thought it was evident from my use of "sound economic business decisions."

I for one am excited about this complete set, and while many people who bought the individual seasons may feel bummed, this is the nature of the marketplace, regardless of the product. Stuff is more exclusive and expensive when new, and tends to get cheaper later.

I don't feel any more sorry for the early Buffy buyers than I do for the people who buy a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player at a high price right when they come out. You pay extra for getting stuff sooner, and you get what you pay for.
Old 08-04-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rdclark
I was wondering about the $199 list price, which seemed really low to me. Is there precedent for this big a price reduction on a re-release of season sets?

RichC
We haven't seen the packaging yet, but one thing can be is that they are skimpy on something there. But I could be wrong.
Old 08-04-05, 03:58 PM

Nice. I just bought all 7 seasons within the last 3 weeks or so. I'll hold onto what I have unless it turns out to be more than just a box, booklet, letter, and extra disc.
Old 08-04-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got most of my Buffy sets used except for the 7th season. I think I paid somewhere just over $250. I don't mind that its going to be available cheaper. Its so good it's worth just about any price.
Old 08-04-05, 06:09 PM

I think I may have paid $230 or so for all 7 seasons. That the new box's price is lower doesn't bother me -- I wouldn't have wanted to wait this long to see the series -- but that they're not making the bonus disk available separately does sort of burn me.

It's like this; there are only two possibilities:

1) they want people who already own all 7 seasons to buy this new box too (the bonus disc being the incentive to do so)

2) they don't expect current owners to buy the new set, and therefore don't really care about current owners.

Obviously it's #2, and it sucks (even if it's hardly a surprise) to know that Fox doesn't think of people who spend this kind of money on their products as people they should be concerned about.

How would it hurt them to offer the bonus disc in exchange for, say, $5 and 7 proofs-of-purchase? As it is, it's just another incentive for piracy.

RichC
Old 08-04-05, 07:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

well i am sold since it is my favorite series of all time. can someone link if any etailers have it for pre-order. also, how many of these are going out. enough to not worry about getting one?
Old 08-04-05, 07:17 PM

well the boxset is awesome and especially for that low price, but i don't believe that's the real price and i am not good at selling stuff on ebay or whatever anyway. so i plan to keep my old sets and hopefully check out the bonus disc later. too bad they won't sell it seperately.

i guess this means angel will get it's own boxset eventually too?
Old 08-04-05, 07:25 PM

Hmm, so far I've got seasons 1-4. I guess I'll have to wait to see what the packaging on this new set will be like before I decide if I want to sell since I really like all the artwork on the digipaks for the individual sets.

Is there any indication on whether the individual sets will get a price drop?
Old 08-04-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bis22
Hmm, so far I've got seasons 1-4. I guess I'll have to wait to see what the packaging on this new set will be like before I decide if I want to sell since I really like all the artwork on the digipaks for the individual sets.
I'm in that same boat (although mine are still all unopened and could probably be returned to Costco at cost). Hmmmmm..... decisions.
Old 08-04-05, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always been on the fence regarding purchasing this series, but consider me sold! at this price....

Now, I'll need for them to revisit Angel as well as this price point (cheaper since there are fewer seasons) and call me a Buffy/Angel collector
Old 08-04-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rdclark
How would it hurt them to offer the bonus disc in exchange for, say, $5 and 7 proofs-of-purchase? As it is, it's just another incentive for piracy.
Because if they did that, nobody who already had it would buy this new box, and, by not doing that, they will get some people who already have the series (or some of it) to double-dip (assumably, most of these people will sell what they had, unless they've got seriously disposable income).

That's a pretty obvious way it would hurt them, since the primary market for this set -- fans of "Buffy" -- would be people who are likely to have already bought at least some of the series.

It's like this; there are only two possibilities:

1) they want people who already own all 7 seasons to buy this new box too (the bonus disc being the incentive to do so)

2) they don't expect current owners to buy the new set, and therefore don't really care about current owners.
I hate to break it to you, but no DVD distribution company cares about you. They all want to make money. The best motivation you can grant them is that they want to make money so that they can continue to release a great product.

That said, if the documentary is any good, they'll release it down-the-line; they're just not going to say so now, because the bonus disc is the primary motivation to get people to buy this box. And if it isn't any good, people will probably sell it off on Ebay.

But, come on; do you really think the documentary is going to be *that* good? Do you think that Whedon, like, knows the cure for cancer, and has been thinking, "Hmmmm ... I need a really special way to release this..." You know that all the people who only buy this set for the doc will be as disappointed as those of you who want the doc to be released seperately.
Old 08-04-05, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
But, come on; do you really think the documentary is going to be *that* good? Do you think that Whedon, like, knows the cure for cancer, and has been thinking, "Hmmmm ... I need a really special way to release this..."
If the documentary has some hot Willow and Tara witch-on-witch action, it would be worth full MSRP. But I doubt it does.
Old 08-05-05, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
If the documentary has some hot Willow and Tara witch-on-witch action, it would be worth full MSRP. But I doubt it does.
Or even some hot, solo Willow action.

I'd preorder it now
Old 08-05-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Or even some Jenny Calender and Giles action (C'mon, Anthony Stewart Head is pretty good looking for a guy!).

Anyways, this set is made for the hardcore fans. Theres a book and signed letters from Joss...c'mon!
Old 08-05-05, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Using the words hot and Willow in the same sentence just sounds funny to me.
Old 08-05-05, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Or even some Jenny Calender and Giles action (C'mon, Anthony Stewart Head is pretty good looking for a guy!).

Anyways, this set is made for the hardcore fans. Theres a book and signed letters from Joss...c'mon!
I'm a hardcore fan and I'm not even thinking about getting rid of the individual seasons that I already own.

They shouldn't be doing this.

I'm concentrating on Friends season 10, Lost, Veronica Mars, Gilmore Girls, and Married with Children. I can't be bothered rebuying something I already own for a box, a letter, a booklet, and a bonus dvd (the only thing that I might wish I had).
Old 08-05-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, it would be really nice if they did this Invader Zim box set style... release the full box set, and then an 'empty' box set with just the bonus disc....
Old 08-05-05, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Because if they did that, nobody who already had it would buy this new box, and, by not doing that, they will get some people who already have the series (or some of it) to double-dip (assumably, most of these people will sell what they had, unless they've got seriously disposable income).
But the studios have no incentive to encourage people to sell used sets, because that just reduces the market for new sets.

That's a pretty obvious way it would hurt them, since the primary market for this set -- fans of "Buffy" -- would be people who are likely to have already bought at least some of the series.
I disagree. I think they're going after people who've been renting the series or watching it in syndication during the past few years. People who are just now thinking "I'd like to own that" but bounce off the $350-ish price. It's also a way to keep the Buffy DVD product current and easy for retialers to stock, since it's one item with one SKU.

I hate to break it to you, but no DVD distribution company cares about you.
Don't worry, I already knew that. In fact, I said it myself in the very next sentence which you conveniently failed to quote.

They all want to make money. The best motivation you can grant them is that they want to make money so that they can continue to release a great product.
Sure. They just tend to forget that people who've spent money on their product in the past are statistically the most likely to do so again in the future -- as long as they're not given a reason to feel burned and abused.

But, come on; do you really think the documentary is going to be *that* good?
Of course not. And I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it. My comments only reflect my opinions about how it's possible to do good business by generating good will amongst your customers.

RichC
Old 08-05-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No way I'd pick this up. I've had problems in the past with bad discs in a set and the store wouldn't let me swap a single disc. I had to swap the entire set and then re-watch everything to make sure there weren't other problems. No way I'd do this with a 43 disc set.
Old 08-05-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
No way I'd pick this up. I've had problems in the past with bad discs in a set and the store wouldn't let me swap a single disc. I had to swap the entire set and then re-watch everything to make sure there weren't other problems. No way I'd do this with a 43 disc set.
Wow, that's a great point. What's the odds of not getting a floater/scuffed/damaged/defective disc when you're dealing with such a huge set? Hmmmm...
Old 08-05-05, 05:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
why would they swap out 1 disc? they get restitution on the whole set when it is in tact, not piecemealed by other sets.

so anyone see this for pre-order anywhere?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.