Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

Old 08-03-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own seasons 1-3. While season 4 is alright, season 5 is the beginning of the end and 6and 7 are atrocious imo. So, I have no interest in this set.

Very nice price though, and it'd be a great way for people to get into the series who haven't already bought the current season sets.
Old 08-03-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Shit. I hate Joss Whedon. Yes, I will be buying these. I will start sticking my current sets on Ebay as I am almost postitive I can still get $30 or so for each, and that would make this boxset pretty much free. Hopefully these will be in 'new' cases as the current design always makes the discs get loose in the cases.

Hopefully we will get a picture soon.
Old 08-03-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You realize that's exactly what they already did with Star Trek - The Original Series?
I think he's saying, taking the season sets (which, you're right, were technically double dips) and packaging them together at a discount. (Hopefully, they'd even put them in, you know, good cases.)

Of course, they have packages of at least the first two 'Star Trek' series packaged together as the "full series", but they're not discounted. And they have no further bonus discs.
Old 08-03-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i would like to have the bonus disc but i love the packaging of the season sets i already have, no sale for me.
Old 08-03-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For those wondering if this will be out in time for DDD's sale - I'd say yes, as last year the sale ran the last week of November, and the release date is Nov 15.

As for selling Buffy sets on Ebay, don't be so confident about getting $30, especially if a lot of Buffy fans start dumping their sets also.

I'm not sure if I want to get this or not. I only own season 1, but I have 2-7 in my store, so I've been watching them. I'm up to whatever season has the "evil trio" of geeks, and I think the show went from decent to suck with these guys.

I figure it's a guarantee that we'll see this for Angel also. One, they have to screw the fans as much as possible. Two, I already have all 5 seasons of Angel.
Old 08-03-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Shit. I hate Joss Whedon.
I'm not entirely sure Joss Whedon is the end all be all decision maker for FOX dvd releases. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old 08-03-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
For those wondering if this will be out in time for DDD's sale - I'd say yes, as last year the sale ran the last week of November, and the release date is Nov 15.

As for selling Buffy sets on Ebay, don't be so confident about getting $30, especially if a lot of Buffy fans start dumping their sets also.

I'm not sure if I want to get this or not. I only own season 1, but I have 2-7 in my store, so I've been watching them. I'm up to whatever season has the "evil trio" of geeks, and I think the show went from decent to suck with these guys.

I figure it's a guarantee that we'll see this for Angel also. One, they have to screw the fans as much as possible. Two, I already have all 5 seasons of Angel.
Hell, even if you get $20 (profit) a pop that still $140 for all 7.

You are also upto Season 6.
Old 08-03-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The only way I'd consider updating to this new set is if the latter seasons were anamorphic widescreen...like they're supposed to be!
I'm going to assume that someone of your pedigree is saying this tongue in cheek.
Old 08-03-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Don't sell them seperately; one thing I know about Ebay, people pay extra for the convenience of buying complete sets of things. It's two different types of bidders ... there are some bidders who will try to buy as cheaply as possibly, they're the ones who'll bid on individual seasons; as a seller, they're not the ones you want to appeal to. There are other bidders who will pay more for the ease of buying all at once. Put all 7 up, I'd almost guarantee you'll get between $200 and $300, and this set probably won't go for more than $150 (though, admittedly, I'm not sure exactly what to expect; the stores may go full price knowing they can get away with it).
Old 08-04-05, 12:20 AM

Hmm, I have seasons 2-5 and am not really interested in paying any more for the subpar seasons, as I haven't even rewatched the sets I have yet.
Old 08-04-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In preparation for this set, I put all seven seasons up for sale at Amazon this afternoon...and now they're all sold, all for over $30 (except season one). Therefore, having made almost $200 on them, I feel comfortable getting the box set.

Of course, now Fox will cancel the box set, leaving me without any Buffy...(knock on wood that that doesn't happen).
Old 08-04-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I think he's saying, taking the season sets (which, you're right, were technically double dips) and packaging them together at a discount. (Hopefully, they'd even put them in, you know, good cases.)

Of course, they have packages of at least the first two 'Star Trek' series packaged together as the "full series", but they're not discounted. And they have no further bonus discs.
Actually, I forgot all about the first ST:TOS DVDs -- so I guess they're already on a double-dip. I'm thinking about things that make the hard-core fans who already bought the first sets to think about rebuying, in addition to getting new people to buy the sets. Like with more extras, better audio/visual quality, more convenient packaging. Kind of like the current Farscape Starburst DVDs.
Old 08-04-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I spent the last 3 years buying up all theses seasons on DVD... Buffy was the reason I bought a DVD Player! These complete Series Boxsets are really starting to piss me off! I just hope that people that have collected the the entire the series are given a chance to get the box and disc from FOX. It seems to be that the companies like to Punish the true fans, while rewarding the people that didn't care enough about the show to buy the seasons in the first place!
Old 08-04-05, 12:46 AM
Banned

Well, I don't have any of these, but then again, I never thought I would as I'm not that big of a fan of Joss Whedon's work, but this complete set that may sell for as cheap as $140-150 just might be a deal worth checking out.
Old 08-04-05, 01:04 AM

Yikes. I'll have to budget. A deal I won't be able to pass up as I want to get Buffy.
Old 08-04-05, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well considering the seasons currently sell for $50 or so brand new, get all 7 for $160 or is a steal!
Old 08-04-05, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
It seems to be that the companies like to Punish the true fans, while rewarding the people that didn't care enough about the show to buy the seasons in the first place!
You're right, the companies like to punish the true fans who gave them money and essentially funded the continued release of the series on DVD. It has nothing at all to do with sound economic business decisions.
Old 08-04-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Duder
You're right, the companies like to punish the true fans who gave them money and essentially funded the continued release of the series on DVD. It has nothing at all to do with sound economic business decisions.
How is it punishing you?

It's well known that DVDs get cheaper as time goes on. You could've waited. You would've waited several years though. Could you have done that?

I didn't like Buffy enough to buy each season at $30. But I'll happily buy each season at $20 or less.

Now if they would only, or rather, finally, do this with X-Files.
Old 08-04-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gord Lacey, from TVShowsOnDVD.com, posted over at the HTF, stating that the box and bonus disc will not be available for those who already own all seven seasons.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...45#post2751545
Old 08-04-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gord, Do you think it's possible that they will make the box and bonus disc available seperatly so we can just put our old discs in it?

Nope.

Sounds to me like he doesn't think it's possible, not that they won't do it.

Of course, they probably won't. I hope they do though. The sets I have now are just fine, so I probably won't buy this new set, but I'd love to get the box and bonus disc. Just not enough to fork over another $150 or so.

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 08-04-05 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-04-05, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Gord Lacey, from TVShowsOnDVD.com, posted over at the HTF, stating that the box and bonus disc will not be available for those who already own all seven seasons.
It doesn't look to me like the old sets would fit in that box. I am a little surprised the disc won't be made available seperately, though. That said, it seems silly to me that people would be willing to pay extra to just buy the box when they could, instead, sell their old ones, buy the new box, and make money on the deal.

Here's the important question, though: Are they fixing the thing in season 7 that was accidentally cut? I assume they won't be restoring the previouslies, but what about the actual mistake that was made?
Old 08-04-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RobCA
Gord, Do you think it's possible that they will make the box and bonus disc available seperatly so we can just put our old discs in it?

Nope.

Sounds to me like he doesn't think it's possible, not that they won't do it.
Given the fact that he's generally "in the know" about stuff like this, it seems more likely that his "nope" is a firm indication that it won't happen, and that if it had been speculation, he would have phrased it as such ("Probably not," or something).

And indeed, this is an entirely new-sized box, and the old sets won't likely fit in it, anyway.
Old 08-04-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is great for anyone who doesn't own them, but I'm already happy with the 7 sets I have. NO reason to double dip that I can see.
Old 08-04-05, 11:33 AM

I don't have any of the season sets, so this is great news for me. (I understand the frustration for those that do have the current releases though)
Old 08-04-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
(I understand the frustration for those that do have the current releases though)
I agree. This new trend is going to lead people to not buy any of the seasons as they come out and wait for these sets that have them all. I can easily see it happening with Seinfeld.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.