Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

Old 09-26-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ordered it from WalMart.com. Yeah, I know, weird, but no B&M stores had it around here, and it was easiest to just put money on a giftcard and order it off there.

It should be arriving today. I can't wait. It's going to be a loooooooong day at work.
Old 09-26-06, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by SuperBatMan
Ordered it from WalMart.com. Yeah, I know, weird, but no B&M stores had it around here, and it was easiest to just put money on a giftcard and order it off there.

It should be arriving today. I can't wait. It's going to be a loooooooong day at work.
Not to sound like Debbie Downer but good luck with that. Unfortunately Walmart sends their boxsets in the worst possible packaging. SO make sure you inspect all the discs just to make sure nothing came lose. I really hope that you get a undamaged copy but just to let you know I've had two bad experiences with WalMart.com.
Old 09-26-06, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JasonTerminator
DDD sold out of the set before the 20% off sale anyway, so it wouldn't have worked out.

That was my plan too.
Got mine 20% off. They released it a day after the 20% started but it sold out really quickly. I think that if you didn't order by noon Pacific Time you were assed out.
Old 09-26-06, 06:23 PM

Yeah, I got mine in the 20% off sale, too. I remember everyone waiting around until midnight, since it was so limited.
Old 12-02-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got this set yesterday, I had never seen an episode before. I am liking it so far, but the image quality seems terrible. Does this improve in later seasons? I might have to reserve watching this for my smaller tv.
Old 12-02-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first season looks terrible due to the cameras they were using. The second season looks better, but is still really grainy during dark ("most") scenes for the first half. Once the show got a budget for better cameras, it began to look pretty great.
Old 12-02-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
The first season looks terrible due to the cameras they were using. The second season looks better, but is still really grainy during dark ("most") scenes for the first half. Once the show got a budget for better cameras, it began to look pretty great.
Thanks, good to know.
Old 12-02-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The show was shot on 16mm film for the first two seasons and looks like crap. The production switched to 35mm for the 3rd season and there's a notable improvement. They had a budget increase in Season 4 and you'll see another big jump there. From that point onward the picture quality looks pretty solid.
Old 12-03-06, 03:44 AM
Cool New Member

yeah tha's true, the really interresting thing started with Season 4, & ESPECIALLY for europeen DVD set, as in contrary of the US one, ALL seson from the 4th are widescreen, and not full screen, so better video quality+ extra picture on the left & right.
Old 12-03-06, 05:20 AM

How are they allowed to do this? This set with the "exclusive" bonus disc was made and went out of print. How are they allowed to rerelease a limited set with everything exclusive to the prior one? This can't be correct or legal. The sets were supposed to be limited and numbered and contain a bonus disc only available with those sets. Does this not defeat the purpose of being limited?

The bonus disc given in the OOP collection (which was supposed to only be available in that set) should not be re-released in this identical set. I really don't understand your theory on everything being limited though. Some things (like this set and some Disney movies) are meant to be limited,
_____________________________________________________________Divine Trash

Legal? This isn't murder, this isn't assault...this isn't even shoplifting. This is business.
I'm sorry that you're so put out, but nothing is "meant to be" in business. Except the almighty dollar. These decisions were made by greedy suits at both Fox and Disney, out to make the "hard sell". Buy now, because in 6 months this kid's cartoon is going to disappear into our vaults for 10 years. Buy now, because once they're gone, it's a done deal....until of course we want to re-release so we can make even more money down the road. The term "limited" means nothing.
Old 12-03-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LNTwebmaster
the really [interesting] thing started with Season 4, & ESPECIALLY for [European] DVD [set], as in [contrast to] the US one, ALL [seasons] from the 4th [onwards] are widescreen, and not full screen, so better video quality+ extra picture on the left & right.
The widescreen releases may show more image, but it's the wrong image. Show creator Joss Whedon has stated that the show is intended to be presented in 4:3, and the "open-matte" widescreen versions are incorrect.
Old 12-03-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Disc Jockey
How are they allowed to rerelease a limited set with everything exclusive to the prior one?
This was already discussed in this thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....40#post7204040

The term "limited" means nothing.
Yep, you pretty much got it.
Old 12-03-06, 05:16 PM

Hi, Jay G. Everything above the line were quotes from Divine Trash. I was addressing his questions and statements. I'm new here and not good with the whole quote thing. I've now noted that he asked that question months ago, so I guess it was pointless to give him my .02 Cents.
Old 12-30-06, 09:32 PM

Did they stop including the letter in the newer sets? I picked up the only set they had at BJs today ($129.99) and the letter is nowhere to be found.
Old 12-31-06, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Leechboy
Did they stop including the letter in the newer sets? I picked up the only set they had at BJs today ($129.99) and the letter is nowhere to be found.
i got one for christmas that i know was bought at bn.com and i've got the letter
Old 12-31-06, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by wennma01
i got one for christmas that i know was bought at bn.com and i've got the letter

Looks like i'm off to exchange tomorrow. Normally I wouldn't care too much about a piece of paper, but this thing was expensive.

Edit: I went back today and exchanged the set. The first replacement had no letter and no bonus disc. The second one had no letter. Thankfully they gave me my money back.

Last edited by Leechboy; 01-01-07 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On sale for $99.99 at AMAZON as of March 11, 2008