Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Limited Edition Complete Series Box Set: Nov. 15th

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really not a big fan of them re-releasing it, either. In my own selfish way, I kind of liked knowing that it went out of print and that it was a limited product. I wouldn't be completely opposed to them making a "mainstream" set, though, in different packaging. Oh well, not really a huge deal, but I do feel as though they misled us the first time around.
Old 08-11-06, 01:39 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
While I do not like the idea of them re-releasing the set (if you wanted it, you should have bought it when it was available), your post is really nonsensical.

First off all, I don't believe that the set was numbered. I haven't seen a number on my set, at least.

Secondly, everything is limited. It might be limited to 2 billion copies, but that's the limit. Everything eventually will go out of print.

The only way this might not be "legal" would be if the first set was advertised as "get this now because we will never make any more of them after this print run" or "we're only making 10,000 copies, and we'll never make them again." Just throwing the tag "limited" on it means nothing.
I don't really see how my post made no sense. I bought the set while it was still in print for $199 cad. and recently picked up a second copy for $129 cad. Many of the future shops and best buys in Canada still have the sets for sale and recently future shop had it on sale so I price matched it at a best buy. In the press release given for the chosen collection, fox had stated the sets would be "limited", "numbered", and feature an "exclusive to that set bonus disc". I don't think anyone found numbers on their sets (which seemed fishy.) My problem here is the fact that Fox has said and it is known that the sets are OOP. The bonus disc given in the OOP collection (which was supposed to only be available in that set) should not be re-released in this identical set. I really don't understand your theory on everything being limited though. Some things (like this set and some Disney movies) are meant to be limited, others things (like almost anything else in this world) are made and continued with the demand for supply. Also yes the word limited means something especially when the retail price for this set is $199 in the US and $349 in Canada. The set was limited and it went out of print hence the fact no copies have been sold by any retailers for awhile now.
Old 08-11-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Divine_Trash
Also yes the word limited means something especially when the retail price for this set is $199 in the US and $349 in Canada.
The word 'limited' is so open to interpretation, that it is nearly meaningless in this context. It's a marketing term that is meant to be flashy and get your attention (seems like it did), but it doesn't mean anything... see the Saving Private Ryan: Special Limited Edition and other examples. As mentioned, *all* DVDs are limited in a sense. They won't make an infinite number of them and they won't make them forever.

And I fail to see what the word 'limited' has to do with the price of the set (which is incredibly reasonable, actually... when you consider that this has 7 seasons in it).

This is a fantastic set and I couldn't be happier with it (well, I suppose an anamorphic Once More With Feeling would be nice...) I don't see why it matters if they make 800 of them or 800,000.
Old 08-11-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Divine_Trash
I don't really see how my post made no sense.
Sigh... my reasons as to why didn't give you any sort of clue?

All you've done is demonstrated a view of business that is very naive. Let me try and spell it out for you one more time, maybe it'll get through.

The early promos may or may not have said that the set was going to be numbered. Guess what? Things change. All that matters is that the final product was not numbered, nor was it advertised as being so.

Even if the product was numbered, there was never a promise that the set would never be reprinted. Maybe you're new to DVD collecting, but this is not the first time a DVD has gone out of print and has been reprinted.
Old 08-11-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Even if the product was numbered, there was never a promise that the set would never be reprinted. Maybe you're new to DVD collecting, but this is not the first time a DVD has gone out of print and has been reprinted.
The most famous being the Army of Darkness DVDs. First there was the Limited and numbered 2-disc set, containing a DVD of the theatrical cut (not limited) and a limited DVD of the original director's cut. When that sold out and demand grew, Anchor Bay re-released the original director's cut as a limited and numbered 1-disc edition, since people could buy the theatrical DVD regularly. Then, when demand exceeded that, Anchor Bay just re-released the director's cut as a regularly available 1-disc, then later re-released the two-disc set as well.

Unless Fox stated that the bonus disc, or even the set, "will never be available ever again," they aren't breaking any laws by re-releasing the set.
Old 08-11-06, 01:59 PM

wow. so much for a september release. i preordered from DDD and got billed today which means it will be shipping any day now. and i got 2 day shipping too. :]

edit - just got the shipping confirmation. shipped today! :]

Last edited by historyavenger; 08-11-06 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-11-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
FREE SHIPPING!
Release Date: 08/15/06

at DDD.
that's a switch.
Old 08-11-06, 09:18 PM

i don't see this listed at amazon anymore ?
maybe it was just extra stock that the studio shipped out
Old 08-11-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by historyavenger
i don't see this listed at amazon anymore ?
maybe it was just extra stock that the studio shipped out
If you go to Amazon.com and look it up, it doesn't show as being available.

However, if you use this link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

It shows up as available with a release date of September 19, 2006.

But then if you click the link to order, it doesn't show up in your cart.

Very odd.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 08-11-06 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-12-06, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm not taking any chances - i placed my order with DDD
Old 08-14-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by historyavenger
wow. so much for a september release. i preordered from DDD and got billed today which means it will be shipping any day now. and i got 2 day shipping too. :]

edit - just got the shipping confirmation. shipped today! :]

Please let us know when you get it. I ordered mine on Saturday and got shipping confirmation today.

Last edited by ChefWinduAZ; 08-14-06 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-14-06, 05:02 PM

mine shipped today too. Must have gotten an early stock shipment
Old 08-15-06, 02:38 PM

received today from ddd.
Old 08-15-06, 04:31 PM

cool
Old 08-16-06, 02:55 PM

I got my set today. I have to admit for awhile I was worried that I was going to get the 7 seperate seasons bundled together and not the "Chosen Collection". But all doubts went away when I opened the box. Also even though my set was in good shape the plastic was a little dusty which makes me think that these sets were extra stock they found and not reissues. But I could be wrong.
Old 08-16-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's weird, because other sites have it up for preorder, though their release date is 9/19 or something.
I checked the UPC code listed on the website, that came up as the 'chosen' not a bundle, but it's nice to have confirmation.

edit 8/19/06: Got mine today. Seems to be in pretty good shape. Judging from some previous posts, I guess I should go ahead and open it and check the disks, both for quality and to make sure I have one of each.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 08-19-06 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-28-06, 09:00 AM

so do these new sets come with the bonus disc and all?
Old 08-28-06, 10:00 AM

yep
Old 08-30-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just opened my set. That is a nice set. It just feels and looks cool. I do have one each of all the disks I'm supposed to have. My only complaints/suggestions would be:
* more information on the eps in the book [but it's easy to get too much info, or spoil them]
* a jewel case or something for the bonus disk rather than that little cardboard envelope.
* a flap or something to stick the 'letter' and paper from the back in.

But those are just nitpicks.
One weird thing, my folder thing for S5 has what looks like a boxcutter slash, about three inches, in the front. It doesn't go through, none of the disks look scratched, and the outer box is fine.
*shrug*.

Obviously I wish I had gotten it last year on the 20% sale, or could risk waitingt till this year's, but you can't win 'em all.
Old 08-31-06, 02:37 AM
Cool New Member

DDD sold out of the set before the 20% off sale anyway, so it wouldn't have worked out.

That was my plan too.
Old 08-31-06, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonTerminator
DDD sold out of the set before the 20% off sale anyway, so it wouldn't have worked out.

That was my plan too.
It came out only a week or so before the November 20% off sale and was still in stock at that time. I got mine for $111.89 then.
Old 08-31-06, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It came out only a week or so before the November 20% off sale and was still in stock at that time. I got mine for $111.89 then.
Yep. Same here. In fact a lot of people bought it that way.
Old 08-31-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I got mine during the 20% off sale also.
Old 08-31-06, 01:40 PM
Cool New Member

Meh, perhaps I was just too late, or missed it or something.
Old 08-31-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, I got mine during the 20% off sale also.
Same here, I wasn't going to purchase it because I own all the single seasons, but couldn't pass it up when I realized it was only a little over $100

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.